Benoit Assou-Ekotto’s Hair to Win ratio

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Depending when you catch me I would say he is my favourite (not best) ever player ... and he is massively underrated he had a year maybe two of being amazing (other years not so much).

Depending when you catch me I would say he is my favourite (not best) ever player ... and he is massively underrated he had a year maybe two of being amazing (other years not so much).

Certainly one of my favourites. I loved his attitude and personality.

GIF11.gif

He was fantastic for a couple of seasons. Certainly miles better than any LB we have had since.

I remember him saying that whilst he thought of football as a job, he never said he didn't enjoy it. A lot of people forget that.

Just started to read this, should be good I hope.

Knowing Italy that idiocy makes perfect fucking sense. I get the feeling Benny has hit that stage of adulthood where you start to wish you had taken your gifts and opportunity that bit more seriously. I liked him and he is soo superior to any of the fullbacks we have on our books now its untrue. He'd walk into this side. Like to see him at a match for a visit. Him Walker Rose and Courlka the last before the curse set in.

Last edited:
Knowing Italy that idiocy makes perfect fucking sense. I get the feeling Benny has hit that stage of adulthood where you start to wish you had taken your gifts and opportunity that bit more seriously. I liked him and he is soo superior to any of the fullbacks we have on our books now its untrue. He'd walk into this side. Like tibsee him at a match for a visit. Him Walker Rose and Courlka the last before the curse set in.
I'm not so sure. I liked him and genuinely see him as a Club folklore legend (not legend). His game was really erratic, with performances fluctuating from week to week if not game to game. Some people might have the view that he was underrated, which I get. Some hold the view that he was overrated, which I also get.

Was a good fit for the team at that time though, a good player but miles off a quality player that an elite club would have needed to rely upon in a competitive season. In my eyes there are similarities between him and Reggie, think he's better than Reggie (I haven't been impressed with Reggie to be honest) but not much in it, I think the comparison is their first touch, they both try to lay the ball off with it, to put it past a player running in pressing them, it usually ends up with them running after it, slightly out of control tackle with another oppo player coming in.

He was a lovely bloke in real life though, very approachable. I bumped into him in Docklands many times (turns out he lived in the same block as where a girl I was dating also lived at the time). A mate sold him a couple of old classic cars so met him then and then on a mutinous night at Craven Cottage when Benny was in the stands as we scraped a late Lewis Holby goal to sneak a win.

Just started to read this, should be good I hope.

“The thing is you’re not a Tottenham player when you sign, you become a Tottenham player after a few games, once you’ve kicked a few players from Woolwich.”

So could the self-proclaimed mercenary have ever signed for Woolwich if they offered enough money?

“No, you can’t go to Woolwich and say, ‘Cool I’ve come here to earn more money’,” he replies.

“Sometimes there are things more important than money"

Loved Benny

I'm not so sure. I liked him and genuinely see him as a Club folklore legend (not legend). His game was really erratic, with performances fluctuating from week to week if not game to game. Some people might have the view that he was underrated, which I get. Some hold the view that he was overrated, which I also get.

Was a good fit for the team at that time though, a good player but miles off a quality player that an elite club would have needed to rely upon in a competitive season. In my eyes there are similarities between him and Reggie, think he's better than Reggie (I haven't been impressed with Reggie to be honest) but not much in it, I think the comparison is their first touch, they both try to lay the ball off with it, to put it past a player running in pressing them, it usually ends up with them running after it, slightly out of control tackle with another oppo player coming in.

He was a lovely bloke in real life though, very approachable. I bumped into him in Docklands many times (turns out he lived in the same block as where a girl I was dating also lived at the time). A mate sold him a couple of old classic cars so met him then and then on a mutinous night at Craven Cottage when Benny was in the stands as we scraped a late Lewis Holby goal to sneak a win.
You seem to have actually agreed though. Decent player better than all our fullbacks bar the ones I listed. A character and Spurs though he was ambivalent about the wider game. Like you I'm not mega sold on Reguilon which was why I've included him in the curse (Hmm Harry Potter and the cursed wingbacks 🤔)

You seem to have actually agreed though. Decent player better than all our fullbacks bar the ones I listed. A character and Spurs though he was ambivalent about the wider game. Like you I'm not mega sold on Reguilon which was why I've included him in the curse (Hmm Harry Potter and the cursed wingbacks 🤔)
I'm actually not spitting feathers over Emerson. I'd like to see what he can do when given the same support that Reggies gets from Davies with Romero at RCB. Also a lot of ranting about his crossing when this was actually a specific tactic of Conte's (don't think Conte has had time to work on what we do when teams sit in a low block, I think he's spent his time building patterns out from the back).

Also not sure if Conte is shoehorning Lucas/Kulu as one of the 3 up top now. (I have a hunch Kulu could be good as a 10, whether he does this coming off the right I've no idea but it now surly changes something regarding the fit of these two, both stylistically very different so what this means they are incorporated and how we play I've not much of a clue now).

So for now I'd tentatively say the two are comparable (Benny & Emerson) but also don't think we will get to see a complete picture until next season.

Knowing Italy that idiocy makes perfect fucking sense. I get the feeling Benny has hit that stage of adulthood where you start to wish you had taken your gifts and opportunity that bit more seriously. I liked him and he is soo superior to any of the fullbacks we have on our books now its untrue. He'd walk into this side. Like to see him at a match for a visit. Him Walker Rose and Courlka the last before the curse set in.

Love Benny...... Another cult-hero type; but apart from a prime 2/3 years under Harry; he was more than a bit 'Serge' and most here have disdain for Aurier.

Rose was another who's rep is inflated by a couple of outlying years too.

Last edited:
I'm actually not spitting feathers over Emerson. I'd like to see what he can do when given the same support that Reggies gets from Davies with Romero at RCB. Also a lot of ranting about his crossing when this was actually a specific tactic of Conte's (don't think Conte has had time to work on what we do when teams sit in a low block, I think he's spent his time building patterns out from the back).

Also not sure if Conte is shoehorning Lucas/Kulu as one of the 3 up top now. (I have a hunch Kulu could be good as a 10, whether he does this coming off the right I've no idea but it now surly changes something regarding the fit of these two, both stylistically very different so what this means they are incorporated and how we play I've not much of a clue now).

So for now I'd tentatively say the two are comparable (Benny & Emerson) but also don't think we will get to see a complete picture until next season.
Your better than me Emerson just seems unable to master too many basics at the level we need to make Contes (ONLY) system work. He's better the Doherty but only in the way a broken leg is better than two...😒

Last edited:
Love Benny...... Another cult-hero type; but apart from a prime 2/3 years under Harry; he was more than a bit 'Serge' and most here have disdain for Aurier.

Rose was another who's rep is inflated by a couple of outlying years too.
Rose's peak was the best of them all by a mile. His low, the interview, was also the lowest low.

Benny is my favourite Spurs player I've ever seen. I don't care that he was erratic sometimes. He was high quality, he was pure entertainment, he had a great personality. Just an absolute joy to have in the team, even when he was shit I wanted him in the team.

Benny to me is the embodiment of "Champions league and we're having a laugh". And I enjoyed that team 5 fold more than I enjoyed even peak Poch. Those were the best years.

Rose's peak was the best of them all by a mile. His low, the interview, was also the lowest low.

He was also red cards and penalties galore until we shipped him out on loan to Sunderland.

......Loved his aggression at his best tho'.

All things considered; Walker wins out by a mile.

Benny is my favourite Spurs player I've ever seen. I don't care that he was erratic sometimes. He was high quality, he was pure entertainment, he had a great personality. Just an absolute joy to have in the team, even when he was shit I wanted him in the team.

Benny to me is the embodiment of "Champions league and we're having a laugh". And I enjoyed that team 5 fold more than I enjoyed even peak Poch. Those were the best years.

At it's best, the terraces felt like a party during those days..... A lot has changed in the football since then; not just Spurs fortunes.

Rose was 2 players, you had AVB Rose the guy who never tracked back and looked disinterested and Poch Rose the player who never stopped running and driving forward with boundless energy. He was good in the right environment.

Benny didn’t have the out and out work rate of Poch Rose but he was so classy on the ball.

Back
Top Bottom