VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
Hate it it’s shit. Ruins celebrating goals. It’s shit.
That is my main issue with it. It has taken away the joyous spontaneity of celebrating a goal.
Before VAR, in some cases, you would have quick glance to see if the linesman had his flag raised.
Now you can't be sure and it can take ages after a perfectly looking goal, for the ref to signal that VAR are looking in to it. A classic recent example was Kane's offside goal when we were 2- 1 up against Man City. I was jumping around the living room, then VAR, in what seemed like ages, decided to look in to the goal and disallow it.

That is my main issue with it. It has taken away the joyous spontaneity of celebrating a goal.
Before VAR, in some cases, you would have quick glance to see if the linesman had his flag raised.
Now you can't be sure and it can take ages after a perfectly looking goal, for the ref to signal that VAR are looking in to it. A classic recent example was Kane's offside goal when we were 2- 1 up against Man City. I was jumping around the living room, then VAR, in what seemed like ages, decided to look in to the goal and disallow it.

Exactly. It’s even worse at games.

VAR what is it good for
absolutely nothing
say it again

VAR ain’t nothing but a heartbreaker
VAR friend to footballs undertaker
Matches are to short to have VAR everyday
VAR can’t bring joy it can only take it away

I’m talking about VAR VAR VAR

Last edited:
1000% correct

It is antithetical to the visceral human experience of football. Inherently, at its core, there is no reforming or fixing it, it is a sport trying to be one thing when it is another thing.

Any VAR decision including offsides should have a maximum of 30 -45 seconds to make a call , if you can’t decide in that time it’s not clear and obvious. Better still bin it

Any VAR decision including offsides should have a maximum of 30 -45 seconds to make a call , if you can’t decide in that time it’s not clear and obvious. Better still bin it
Nah that'll just lead to even more contentious decisions.

VAR can be good it's just that the FA/Premier League don't want to bring in the transparency to make it effective.

Make refs accountable. Let us listen to their discussions. Maybe even make the video ref an ex-player (although that would probably lead to instances of bias being accused).

I still celebrate all goals as if they're fine. If they're ruled out, then they're ruled out but I don't wait to see. I go mental as usual and then deal with any aftermath.

Doesn't need that.
Have a look at the replay - if you need to draw a line on the screen to see if some one is offside - don't -give the goal immediately.
That's how the linesmen did it for decades.

Also - they have started advising lino's to leave their flags down until the play has finished. At that point they check VAR if a goal was scored.
Against Burnley (and many other times) we have been through on goal only to get flagged immediately and incorrectly. Our chance was stopped because of a bad lino flagging an onside player offside too soon.
IMO, they should check those and, if a team was in on goal and the chance was stopped, bring it back and give a direct free kick. It's not as good (especially for us) as a one on one, but you can't have good chances being blocked by bad refs.

Doesn't need that.
Have a look at the replay - if you need to draw a line on the screen to see if some one is offside - don't -give the goal immediately.
That's how the linesmen did it for decades.

Also - they have started advising lino's to leave their flags down until the play has finished. At that point they check VAR if a goal was scored.
Against Burnley (and many other times) we have been through on goal only to get flagged immediately and incorrectly. Our chance was stopped because of a bad lino flagging an onside player offside too soon.
IMO, they should check those and, if a team was in on goal and the chance was stopped, bring it back and give a direct free kick. It's not as good (especially for us) as a one on one, but you can't have good chances being blocked by bad refs.
The “don’t flag it if it’s close” thing is such an insidious cancer on the game.

Every attacking move exists in a Schroedinger’s quantum state where it both exists and doesn’t

10 secs max but yeah, bin

Also bin English refs. Also a massive mess
I said to my dad and brother at the weekend that refs shouldn't work in their own country. Too much scope for bias. Currently you can only not referee the club you support.
But an Woolwich fan could referee a Spurs match.

I said to my dad and brother at the weekend that refs shouldn't work in their own country. Too much scope for bias. Currently you can only not referee the club you support.
But an Woolwich fan could referee a Spurs match.
Possibly but these are professionals and sit outside the partisan fan vibe as they progress through the leagues as neutrals

I just think they are shit. The standard is noticeably far higher in the CL. Not helped by poor leadership from Dean etc

It is the lack of transparency the FA use to make VAR another obstacle especially for Spurs. The refs and linos are against Tottenham, and VAR has become another arm to chalk Spurs goals off. Today the lino who was constantly giving Tottenham offside and fake news BBC never looked at them even when Harry Kane was fouled before he scored onside.

Don't think Tottenham will ever win a trophy while they have to battle all the refs, linos and VAR in every game!

It is the lack of transparency the FA use to make VAR another obstacle especially for Spurs. The refs and linos are against Tottenham, and VAR has become another arm to chalk Spurs goals off. Today the lino who was constantly giving Tottenham offside and fake news BBC never looked at them even when Harry Kane was fouled before he scored onside.

Don't think Tottenham will ever win a trophy while they have to battle all the refs, linos and VAR in every game!
I agree the officials were shit tonight and some decisions went against us, but there wasn't any VAR at the ground.

If VAR was at the Boro game, it’s quite possible that both the Kane disallowed goal and the Boro winner would be reversed. Terrible that the FA have allowed a competition to have it in some matches but not in others - games are literally not being played under the same conditions 😵‍💫

If VAR was at the Boro game, it’s quite possible that both the Kane disallowed goal and the Boro winner would be reversed. Terrible that the FA have allowed a competition to have it in some matches but not in others - games are literally not being played under the same conditions 😵‍💫
Couldn't agree more. Hate not having VAR for cup games.

There was potential there for an unfair result, but let's be serious, they don't get VAR decisions right when they do have it

The game was better to watch for not having it.
I'd suffer all the VAR downsides if it was accurate and used sensibly (ie not drawing fucking lines on the pitch to try and chalk off goals)
But they can't get decisions right so we're best off without it

Back
Top Bottom