Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This summer is the right time to sell. A club like Leeds, Villa, Southampton etc. would paay handsomely for him.
If he goes I don't think that he stays in England. He seems like a Vertonghen or a Dembele where we are his English team. I could see us selling him to one of the bigger clubs in Portugal, or he goes back to Brazil, which he has talked about being the plan.

This summer is the right time to sell. A club like Leeds, Villa, Southampton etc. would paay handsomely for him.
I’d rather keep him as a squad option, one attacking injury and he ends up playing most weeks. We still lack attacking options off the bench, we have plenty of other players that should be moved on first.

I’d rather keep him as a squad option, one attacking injury and he ends up playing most weeks. We still lack attacking options off the bench, we have plenty of other players that should be moved on first.
Not really. Son, Kane and Kulu starters. Bergy and Gil the two main subs. Moura is third sub.

He's also 29, so time running out for any kind of reasonable transfer fee. That money is needed for other things, a new LCB, RWB etc.

Not really. Son, Kane and Kulu starters. Bergy and Gil the two main subs. Moura is third sub.

He's also 29, so time running out for any kind of reasonable transfer fee. That money is needed for other things, a new LCB, RWB etc.

That's merely preference on your part... Certainly not our reality.

There's a very real possibility that Gil will go on loan again next season.... Even in terms of being behind Berg in the pecking order it's literally only been the case during Lucas's recent injured spell.

....Perhaps you've forgotten already, but it was Berg that was close to being sold in Jan; not Lucas.

There's a very real possibility that Gil will go on loan again next season.... Even in terms of being behind Berg in the pecking order it's literally only been the case during Lucas's recent injured spell.

....Perhaps you've forgotten already, but it was Berg that was close to being sold in Jan; not Lucas.
Probably because he's younger and has more teams interested. They are comparable players... one is 24 and one is 29... I would certainly rather keep the 24 year old unless his selling fee will be far higher.

Lucas might be able to attract a fee around 15 million from someone. He's a flawed player but he's still extremely good at what he does, which is breaking the press with dribbling in midfield. This can help lower level teams that can't get out of defense. Put him with some players with end product and he could provide value to a team.

Fine then, buy another backup winger. Still should sell Moura.

so you had to bump a lucas moura thread and discredit him in order to appreciate Kulusevskis contribution?

that's our fanbase in a nutshell tbh. Get excited about the shiny new toy by discrediting the player he has replaced.

in reality Lucas is an excellent squad option and will more then likely be here next season.

I know right. Some utter dog turds in our fanbase.

Probably because he's younger and has more teams interested. They are comparable players... one is 24 and one is 29... I would certainly rather keep the 24 year old unless his selling fee will be far higher.

Well, for reasons you've just touched upon Berg inevitably will cost more.

Lucas might be able to attract a fee around 15 million from someone. He's a flawed player but he's still extremely good at what he does, which is breaking the press with dribbling in midfield. This can help lower level teams that can't get out of defense. Put him with some players with end product and he could provide value to a team.

You've just described a player that can absolutely play a role from our bench..... His contract runs til 2024 so I could well see keeping hold for another season before him having a swansong back in Brazil.... Which would buy Gil a but more breathing space. Also allows us to channel our energy into more pressing matters in the trf window this summer.

As some peeps need to be regularly reminded.... 10 in / 10 out ain't happening.

Zero point in selling Moura unless we receive an offer we can't refuse or he asks to go elsewhere. He is a proven useful PL player and of the right type to be a good impact sub. He's proven numerous times this season that he's handy to have around.

Bergwijn out and another attacker in makes a lot more sense.

Zero point in selling Moura unless we receive an offer we can't refuse or he asks to go elsewhere. He is a proven useful PL player and of the right type to be a good impact sub. He's proven numerous times this season that he's handy to have around.

I’m inclined to agree. I think Lucas is what Lucas is but there’s a value to him that outweighs what we’d receive in a fee. I think there has to be a choice between Bergwijn and Gil in the summer, with whoever is sold being replaced with a career forward who can realistically be used instead of, and sometimes even with, Kane. Then add too our CM in terms of both quality and numbers (I really think we need 5) so we have the option of sometimes playing 3 CMs and 2 forwards rather than 2 CMs and 3 forwards, and we’re looking in good shape.

We must stop looking at our first 11 but our squad. We need 22 players that Conte and the fans trust to start and that contribute to us winning. Moura is in the number we trust but we do not have 22 and we must look to bring in others to get to that number not get rid of a trusted player. Having said that I expect Kula to start more than Moura but he will need a rest as will Son.

Excellent impact player who will occasionally have runs of form where he earns a first team place. Very good for the club that we've now got a player who ensures Lucas isn't a week in week out starter which I don't think he's ever been really good enough to justify. He's going to be a very useful player coming off the bench and upping the tempo if we're struggling.

Did you saw ManU game?

Our attack was switched off when the best attacking player in the game was taken off for Moura. Like 2/3 of his touches bounced 10 meters off his feet and from his time on pitch I think he managed to make one good progressive pass.

Such of a tempo-upping-performance-off-the-bench indeed.

Last edited:

I think that part of the mentality that has got us here - we are happy with sub-par players as "squad option" when in reality we seem to have 3 proven attacking players. My obvious conclusion is - we need one more starting-quality player. Not player who cant hit double figures while being starter. That is just not acceptable quality.

If he goes I don't think that he stays in England. He seems like a Vertonghen or a Dembele where we are his English team. I could see us selling him to one of the bigger clubs in Portugal, or he goes back to Brazil, which he has talked about being the plan.

He has already stated his plan is to return to Brazil to join Bolsonaro’s cabinet … Health and Sport Minister Lucas Moura

Did you saw ManU game?

Our attack was switched off when the best attacking player in the game was taken off for Moura. Like 2/3 of his touches bounced 10 meters off his feet and from his time on pitch I think he managed to make one good progressive pass.

Such of a tempo-upping-performance-off-the-bench indeed.

I thought Kulusevski was indeed the best attacking player, but was exhausted. In an ideal world it's Son that is taken off, but instead we took off the only player who was having an impact. I didn't think Lucas impacted the game effectively but I have seen him do so in the past. I don't think this was the right kind of game for him, it was one in which we needed guile, not someone to pick the ball up and stretch the opposition.

We must stop looking at our first 11 but our squad. We need 22 players that Conte and the fans trust to start and that contribute to us winning. Moura is in the number we trust but we do not have 22 and we must look to bring in others to get to that number not get rid of a trusted player. Having said that I expect Kula to start more than Moura but he will need a rest as will Son.
Great Post...rather then focus on players like Lucas and Hojbjerg who can be completely trusted as squad players...how about we focus on getting rid of the actual untrustworthy deadwood.

Great Post...rather then focus on players like Lucas and Hojbjerg who can be completely trusted as squad players...how about we focus on getting rid of the actual untrustworthy deadwood.

Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with both of you.

If we end up with bloated numbers of 22 players like Hjojberg, Moura, Emerson etc - then it would be a catastrophe. WE. NEED. MORE. QUALITY. Moura and in the long run Hjojberg and Emerson I am afraid are just not good enough to be starters.

Before we can look at what we can bring on from the bench or use as part of rotation the initial quality has to be there. Otherwise we are just blending some average with another average. That will not improve the quality nor results. We need real competition in attacking trio, not 4th player who would represent real drop in quality. We don't need another PEH in midfield - we need a true quality CM who can keep the ball under pressure, find progressive passes and put pressure on opposition in defensive phase.

Quality, not quantity is what we are lacking.

I do sincerely hope Lucas is the one to go vs Steven, if one must go this summer to freshen the squad with another attacking option.

Steven is better on the ball, better in tight spaces, younger, and still improving. He's also had a nightmare merry go round of managers which really hurts a young players progression (more than an established one like Lucas).

From now on I'd prefer to see Steven come on in games where we're down or tied and need to break down a parked bus. Lucas on for when we're ahead and look to counter.

Disappointed with Conté for not trusting Steven more. He's shown enough to warrant more meaningful substitute appearances I think. Especially when the alternative is Lucas.

Rewind to 2018 and the "it's hard to upgrade the first team" comment
May have been hard ti improve 11-12 players, but definitely not hard to improve the other players in the squad.

Back
Top Bottom