Come here to laugh at the Geordies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think that they're in an industry where dirty money pollutes every aspect of the game, and are correctly trying to stay out of the political side of it and focus on football. They aren't politicians and it isn't their job to cast moral judgement, they are there to manage football clubs. If you see it differently that's fine, but I find the asking football managers questions about ownership in press conferences really tiresome, especially when it's repetitive and they know the manager will say nothing and isn't involved in that side of things.

Managers are commonly the face of the club; particularly when you have owners that refuse to face the public. We should see MORE media pressure exerted, not less. If Managers have to shoulder that burden then so be it...... I have zero sympathy if they find it tireseome or whatever else (see above re: "choices")..... The importance is that the question is kept in the public/media consciousness (even if they remain unanswered.)

(Does the flagrant hypocrisy of the amount of media suddenly questioning the Chavs ownership connections & motives after 20 years of blatantly knowing the score not sicken you?)

When it comes to football I switch off most ethical concerns. Its sport and I treat it as such. Fair enough if you see it differently, but I don't know how you coped when we sell Walker to City, or the next time we sell to an oil club.

"Cope" would be the wrong word; but yes I'm at odds with it; as I am with what the modern game is rapidly and increasingly becoming.

Said it a number of times, but if we'd have won that CL final I'd have likely walked away proud and happy.... Alas, as the meme says... "....and then they drag you back in"...... 40 year habbits are f'kin hard to kick!

The chances of a sports washer taking over the club at some point are pretty good, or at least us being involved in that. This is the modern game now. Everyone has their hands all over the dirty money, whether that's some level of investment, direct ownership, or doing business and legitimising them.

I think conflating the idea of state & oligarch sports-washing with the average grimey business person indulging their ego is in betrayal of the issues at play here.

Indulging your take for a moment..... Humanitarian ethics aside; this type of sports washing creates a false economy within the game which as you said above kicks us down the pecking order (3 times in the last 20 years now). Not because of genuine commercial investment, but an otherwise completely un-sustainable spending model that can only be deployed because of the deeper benefits to the ulterior motives (i.e. the very need to sports-wash to begin with.)......

X or Y football chairman (businessman) may be a greasy cunt with somewhat dodgy accounts, but economically there's no deeper motive that allows them to literally burn money at the rate that the Saudis, Qatar etc. are prepared to (***).

(***See RA 'happily' writing off 1.5bn in loans.)

Last edited:
(Does the flagrant hypocrisy of the amount of media suddenly questioning the Chavs ownership connections & motives after 20 years of blatantly knowing the score not sicken you?)

I've accepted it. Along with most of what you've brought up, it's taken away a lot of enjoyment from the game for me (it is basically just who spends most wins now, league table correlate very strongly with spending) but it's the sport I love so I've tried to just disassociate. May sound selfish considering what is going on with these clubs, but with the serious nature of real life politics and the shit going on in the world, football is escapism for me. The hypocrisy is hilarious for sure (asking Tuchel over and over about Roman like they haven't been up City's arse for years about how impressive they are!) but completely unsurprising. These people don't give a shit about sports washing till it's trendy.

Can someone enlighten me why Newcastle have been considered a big club? People make fun of Spurs winning their last title in the 60s, but Newcastle last won a title in 1927. Their last trophy came in the 60s. Even West Ham won a trophy more recently.

Yeah they have some fan base but they’re the only club in a mid-large English city. Can’t see any other argument that swings in their favor. They’re a mid sized club, nowhere near Spurs, Villa or Everton.

Newcastle fans must be on cloud nine right now. On a ridiculously good run and now Chelsea look to be maybe dropping down the pecking order and giving them a very good opportunity to crack that top 4. Their progression could be faster than many thought.

Can someone enlighten me why Newcastle have been considered a big club? People make fun of Spurs winning their last title in the 60s, but Newcastle last won a title in 1927. Their last trophy came in the 60s. Even West Ham won a trophy more recently.

Yeah they have some fan base but they’re the only club in a mid-large English city. Can’t see any other argument that swings in their favor. They’re a mid sized club, nowhere near Spurs, Villa or Everton.
They seem to have an inordinate amount of fame for blowing the league under Keegan in 96. Fair enough they had a decent side then but they blew a 12 point lead and while they played good football it was ultimately a failure as they won nothing with it.

Last edited:

Big Club Status is quite tricky to define. Is it history, ground size, league position or just how rich the owners are ??
Sunderland & Forest still think they have big club status & when was the last time Villa or Everton won anything.
Newcastle & Celtic both have fantastic fan base but can they really be big clubs.

To be honest, they’re a bit like us. Big fan base, popular club, always fall short. They had a good run at the beginning of the PL, the title race, some great players and good rivalry with Liverpool and UTD.

To be honest, they’re a bit like us. Big fan base, popular club, always fall short. They had a good run at the beginning of the PL, the title race, some great players and good rivalry with Liverpool and UTD.

Yet as per the OG post, we attract more trophy ridicule than all of Newcastle, Villa, Everton, WH, Forest, Sunderland combined! .......Yet we've won more than all but Villa and have won more recently than ALL of them.

What does absolutely stink in that list is #3 & #4... Bunch of plastic petro-bullshit.

Pressure may be building. Good clear article by Ronay, calling out not just Shearer but the double standards of UK media / govt due to Saudi being 'an ally'. 10,000 children (estimated) killed in their seven year war with Yemen.
And links between Saudi state and bombing are even easier to prove than with Abramovic and Russian state, which was obvious enough.

Yet we've won more than all but Villa and have won more recently than ALL of them.
Honestly, most of Aston Villa’s titles and cup wins came around 1890s/1900s. Not sure how they can boast with that. Of course, their ECC win is a massive achievement and they won a title in the 80s if I’m not mistaken, that’s more in the modern times.

Pressure may be building. Good clear article by Ronay, calling out not just Shearer but the double standards of UK media / govt due to Saudi being 'an ally'. 10,000 children (estimated) killed in their seven year war with Yemen.
And links between Saudi state and bombing are even easier to prove than with Abramovic and Russian state, which was obvious enough.
Came here to post that and the awnser is yes.

Pleasing to see..... As are any signs that refute the bullshit 'All fans would pucker up for the murderers & oligarchs' jealous apologist narrative.
I bet he (they) gets a ton of abuse and/or it's poorly attended.

All of us fans have no say or control over who buys/owns our clubs, but if a dodgy regime came in then you would hope there is opposition to them. The irony is at Newcastle they were united & vocal in wanting the previous bloke out.

Back
Top Bottom