Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great stuff and what a player. I was in the Paxton for most of those home goals (£2 to get in as Junior Member, how times have changed), and few away games as well, but that season was all about the FA cup run. Apart from that glorious famous Semi-Final against Woolwich, the game that stood out that season was Portsmouth in the cup. My first away game outside of London without parental supervision, a Gazza inspired come back in the second half and getting back on the train without having my head kick in by the Portsmouth mob. Happy days.

Great stuff and what a player. I was in the Paxton for most of those home goals (£2 to get in as Junior Member, how times have changed), and few away games as well, but that season was all about the FA cup run. Apart from that glorious famous Semi-Final against Woolwich, the game that stood out that season was Portsmouth in the cup. My first away game outside of London without parental supervision, a Gazza inspired come back in the second half and getting back on the train without having my head kick in by the Portsmouth mob. Happy days.
I was a junior Spur in the Paxton that season. Brilliant memories, aged 15/16 and travelling to away games. I went to the 3rd round Blackpool game away - god that was grim with the weather coming in off the Irish Sea onto the exposed terrace, and just the one Lineker goal to cheer us up. IIRC it was my first away game outside London. I also got a ticket to the QF against Port Vale … sadly I wasn’t able to get tickets for that SF or final..

I was a junior Spur in the Paxton that season. Brilliant memories, aged 15/16 and travelling to away games. I went to the 3rd round Blackpool game away - god that was grim with the weather coming in off the Irish Sea onto the exposed terrace, and just the one Lineker goal to cheer us up. IIRC it was my first away game outside London. I also got a ticket to the QF against Port Vale … sadly I wasn’t able to get tickets for that SF or final..
Just to be pedantic, Stewart got the goal at Blackpool and we played Notts County in the QF. I went to the home games and Wembley, also as a Junior Spur. Gascoigne was unbelievable that season. Totally took that level of entertainment for granted!

Just to be pedantic, Stewart got the goal at Blackpool and we played Notts County in the QF. I went to the home games and Wembley, also as a Junior Spur. Gascoigne was unbelievable that season. Totally took that level of entertainment for granted!
Thanks for correcting me. I was at the other end of the pitch for the Blackpool game, and to this very day I had believed Lineker had scored the winner that say (like I said, the weather was shockingly bad!). And yes, you’re absolutely right about Notts County. My memory isn’t what it used to be..

EDIT - yes, Gazza was incredible that year. I remember going to games and there was an atmosphere that everyone (in the crowd, and probably among his team mates) was just waiting to see what football genius or daft silly buggers he would come up with this week. It’s been a long time since we had a player who electrified a whole stadium in quite the same way he did. Perhaps Bale, although he was dull as a character.

Thanks for correcting me. I was at the other end of the pitch for the Blackpool game, and to this very day I had believed Lineker had scored the winner that say (like I said, the weather was shockingly bad!). And yes, you’re absolutely right about Notts County. My memory isn’t what it used to be..

EDIT - yes, Gazza was incredible that year. I remember going to games and there was an atmosphere that everyone (in the crowd, and probably among his team mates) was just waiting to see what football genius or daft silly buggers he would come up with this week. It’s been a long time since we had a player who electrified a whole stadium in quite the same way he did. Perhaps Bale, although he was dull as a character.

That season I went to my first game as a 6/7 year old - Spurs v Nottingham Forest in the league, two weeks before the cup final.
Was on the east lower terracing in front of the shelf. Remember Gazza being injured (not on the back page of the programme) which was a bit gutting, then when they read out the teams he was starting, first anyone knew about it - the roar of the crowd then I'll never forget. Think this was the only time I've ever seen him play properly, apart from that legends stadium opener cameo recently!
Following season went to quite a few more games in same place, always enjoyed watching crowd surges in the Paxton. Stood there a few times before it got turned into seating, then ended up getting my first season ticket there years later.

He's only 54

He looks like an 80 year old man

:pochcry:

How much of it is premature ageing due to alcohol and substance abuse and how much of it is down to the shabby plastic surgery he seems to be keen on, t's hard to say (it's a weird, conflicting blend), but the poor bugger looks a right mess.

Last edited:
How much of it is premature ageing due to alcohol and substance abuse and how much of it is down to the shabby plastic surgery he seems to be keen on it's hard to say (it's a weird, conflicting blend), but the poor bugger looks a right mess.

I don't think he's had plastic surgery, his face just looks permanently bloated and puffy due to decades of alcohol abuse. It's so sad to look at the damage he's done to his mind and body. The man is only two years older than Conte but he looks absolutely geriatric.

I don't think he's had plastic surgery, his face just looks permanently bloated and puffy due to decades of alcohol abuse. It's so sad to look at the damage he's done to his mind and body. The man is only two years older than Conte but he looks absolutely geriatric.

Paul-Gascoigne.jpg

9944498.jpg

This era springs to mind... His eyes just look un-natural and his cheeks look 'pinned' back.

I think he's had surgery, whatever happened to getting old gracefully, or even disgracefully, if that's your wish. Bad enough to have to have surgery to save your life, why would anyone want to put themselves at risk to get rid of a few bags and wrinkles - I just don't get it.
I want to remember him as a bit of a naughty boy, with sublime football skills, that gave us some amazing memories. The trouble is he will always be news and the media will take advantage of that and his need for publicity. He has recently been in the audience of Dancing on Ice (his son is a finalist) and he looks a shell of his former self, such a shame really.

He’s definitely had Botox. Numerous times I think over the last 8-10 years. I think at one point the papers were reporting concerns over it being his new addiction.
He’s also had a laser facelift which was reported by the clinic itself at the time. I don’t know if that classes as plastic surgery though.

Back
Top Bottom