Controversial opinions about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lucas Moura was 23m. Ndombele was 53m, and only happened after we'd spent numerous windows with a negative or near negative net spend. Your record signing being a 42m young CB is not an impressive, big balls signing for a club expected to get top 4 in the Premier League.

Top 4 was a target; not an expectation.

As for £42m being no big deal for us in the summer of 2017, before the 'Neymar inflation' had kicked in????

.......You're having a f'kn laugh!!!

He was predominantly asked to keep getting top 4 with low level signings, and the odd relatively big signing thrown in. Our wage and transfer budget compared to other top 4 rivals was low. His inflexibility was justified by a string of bad cheaper signings.

Low net spend was a scenario that he signed up for; it wasn't sprung on him.... We all knew what the stadium build meant and that his main target was actually ascribed to have been to deliver CL football when we moved into the new gaff......... His remit between 2014 & 2019 wasn't "CL or else".... Not at all.

Poch may have had some responsibility, but it was the lesser half of that.

It was a tough gig(*)..... It doesn't mean that he didn't make a rod for his own back that come home to roost in the summer 18/19.

(*but It was equally a philosophy of youth and coaching that he and his mate Balague wrote a fucking book pontificating about.)

Last edited:
Yes, and this is when he was attainable. I wasn't even aware we were in for Grealish in 19/20 (I don't remember us revisiting the transfer?)

19/20 is where the Bruce quotes come from.... That's when the takeover happened and scarpered us.

and just remember the failed bids in 18/19, and then towards the end of the window they got taken over.

For the third time; you got that aspect wrong. The takeover was 19/20.

Summer 18 = AV chucking around the champo for 2 years; back the 15m (inc. Onomah deal)... Why bid much higher? JG hadn't even ripped up the champo at that point.

Summer 19 = 20m bid..... They put a 25m pricetag on him... Negotiations proceeded but then soon after the takeover happened.

Maybe my dates are mixed up. All I can recall is a long pursuit, a lot of odd bids before finally deciding to put a decent amount on the table towards the end of the window, only for it to be too late.

(See above.)

Pochettino claims otherwise,

So Jansen, Aurier, Ndombele, Llorente, Foyth, GLC were all lying, just cos Poch made a passing comment (ref article below) politically sharing the praise for some good trf activity cos (as he also notes below) he didn't want the blame for any duds......?

and I believe him. He may have been able to make certain suggestions and give the nod, but certainly from what he says it sounds like his options were very limited and it was mostly a case of take this or nothing.

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino says he receives unwarranted flak for failed buys - Sport360 News

Grealish was one example. Not top tier but talented, and clearly Poch wanted him.

Done the Grealish thing to death above.

Believe he wanted Fernandes as well.

...In a window where he'd got his top targets. He didn't get a late window, £55m afterthought too? My heart isn't bleeding here.

Where are your reports he was demanding De Ligt or De Jong and nothing else?

This has all been heavily referenced and thrashed out in the 18/19 trf thread, ENIC thread, Levy is a cunt thread etc. etc. There is no definitive article to quote, but as most of these things rely upon; it's peiced together from all the reporting at the time.

That would be an incredibly odd thing for a manager to do.

You may not have noticed, but Poch was a bit of an odd ball; deep in rather tangled and contradictory rhetoric & philosophy.... Oh yeh, and he loved lemons and said he might quit the day before a CL final.

Many fans and forum members have big chips on their shoulders… especially about them lot

If Spurs is just something to watch on TV for you, fill your boots, but the culture and tribalism runs MUCH MUCH deeper for a lot of us (born into the rivalries; the weekend's results being a major factor in school life each week as a kid, ditto the work-place in later life)..... That doesn't amount to a 'chip'.

Pochettino claims otherwise, and I believe him. He may have been able to make certain suggestions and give the nod, but certainly from what he says it sounds like his options were very limited and it was mostly a case of take this or nothing.

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino says he receives unwarranted flak for failed buys - Sport360 News

Grealish was one example. Not top tier but talented, and clearly Poch wanted him. Believe he wanted Fernandes as well. Where are your reports he was demanding De Ligt or De Jong and nothing else? That would be an incredibly odd thing for a manager to do.

You're regurgitating rubbish that has been disproven time and time again.

You're regurgitating rubbish that has been disproven time and time again.

Sure Jan GIF

Pochettino claims otherwise, and I believe him. He may have been able to make certain suggestions and give the nod, but certainly from what he says it sounds like his options were very limited and it was mostly a case of take this or nothing.

Grealish was one example. Not top tier but talented, and clearly Poch wanted him. Believe he wanted Fernandes as well. Where are your reports he was demanding De Ligt or De Jong and nothing else? That would be an incredibly odd thing for a manager to do.
FWIW, I always suspected that Poch had little to no input with regards to player recruitment/purchases, which was why he was saying things to the press like, "maybe you should call me coach and not manager."

He was able to use his ESL to his benefit when he wanted, and the most frustrated I was with Poch, in his last summer + 1/2 season, was when he was at his most opaque and vague. In hindsight, we can see how deflated and burnt out he was, but at the time, he really started to annoy me.

Ultimately though, if Poch had been a killer and had done what needed to be done (start the painful rebuild), I don't think as many of us would still have such positive feelings about him. We all saw that it meant as much to him as it did to all of us.

Still hoping the rumours of Ten Hag going to Utd are false and that they actually get Poch, so then the rumours of him 'coming home' to Spurs die a death finally.

I don't need spurs to win trophies. I watch sport to be entertained. I'd rather play attacking, free flowing football than play boring crap and loads of trophies.

Back
Top Bottom