Controversial opinions about Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We play good football now and have a winner in charge, it's possible.

Yeh but we still need to probably get 6-8 good players in the window for next season to compete with City/Liverpool. We can probably make 100m from selling 7-8 players but still looking at another 100-150m on top probably to get a squad that can truly challenge Liverpool/City who also have elite managers.

Yeh but we still need to probably get 6-8 good players in the window for next season to compete with City/Liverpool. We can probably make 100m from selling 7-8 players but still looking at another 100-150m on top probably to get a squad that can truly challenge Liverpool/City who also have elite managers.

We don't need 6-8 players though do we, the current squad is performing at a pretty high level now as it is so it's more like 4-5 in key positions to fine tune it. I don't think it's gonna take a whole load of money to boost the squad - more like smart signings like Kulusevski and Bentancur and players like that who can come in and make the difference.

We don't need 6-8 players though do we, the current squad is performing at a pretty high level now as it is so it's more like 4-5 in key positions to fine tune it. I don't think it's gonna take a whole load of money to boost the squad - more like smart signings like Kulusevski and Bentancur and players like that who can come in and make the difference.

Depends on what the aim is, top 4 yes but it’s about dethroning Liverpool and City and they have squads with depth. We can’t go into a season going for the title without competition/cover for places across all positions. Conte is great but so is Klopp and Pep.

Depends on what the aim is, top 4 yes but it’s about dethroning Liverpool and City and they have squads with depth. We can’t go into a season going for the title without competition/cover for places across all positions. Conte is great but so is Klopp and Pep.

What about FA and Carabao cup? You don't need to dethrone those teams to win either of them.

Fair, but I don’t think Conte came here to win those. I know that sounds disrespectful to the FA cup.

Regardless of what his intentions are when he came here we can make a dent in those comps with this manager if the recruitment is right of course.

Still hoping the rumours of Ten Hag going to Utd are false and that they actually get Poch, so then the rumours of him 'coming home' to Spurs die a death finally.
I hope they get ETH bc I think he’ll flop outside of Holland. Maybe it’s just me but he gets a lot of praise for winning the Dutch league and that 18/19 CL run, but realistically Ajax winning that league is like Celtic winning the SPL, and whilst Real and Juve are huge names to knock out in the CL, both those clubs were v beatable in hindsight. Ajax had a side that was greater than the sum of its parts w more than a few really talented players throughout the team, whilst Real were a mess in 18/19, finishing 3rd and going through 2 managers (loptengui and solari) before finally accepting defeat and bringing Zidane back and that season has gone down in Real history as one of their worst of all time. Juve were a bit better, winning the league in Ronaldo’s first season there, but Buffon has since said ronaldo joining “killed their DNA as a team”. Obviously we all know about them bottling it to us. I just think all the fanfare around him is a bit much when once Frank De Boer looked like a top managerial talent from there.

I always feel like fans who say they don’t care about trophies don’t know many fans of rival teams and thus don’t face the unbearable banter that comes with being perennial nearly men.

Fuck yeah I care about silverware. Anyone who doesn’t is crazy imo. Who the fuck always wants to be the bridesmaid? Perennial disappointment isn’t enjoyable in any way, shape or form.

Sure we all tune in for love of the club/football regardless, but every fan should dream of their club winning trophies, that’s how you build a history.

I quite liked the Under Armour kits… is that controversial? They were certainly better than the Kappa and Puma ones before and the subsequent Nike kits.

Bring back Hummel or Le Coq Sportif. Them were the days!
I liked all their kits except the 14/15 home. Favourite of theirs was 16/17 with the navy socks and shoulder pads.

Added emotional attachment for it being the last at the lane. 😢

I quite liked the Under Armour kits… is that controversial? They were certainly better than the Kappa and Puma ones before and the subsequent Nike kits.

Bring back Hummel or Le Coq Sportif. Them were the days!

Pure nostalgia.... The team were great, but that shiny nylon in the early 80s was fucking horrible.

The thick 'wooly' nylon of the late 70s wasn't much better either (even if the phat collar and bold blue trimming on the home and away gear was fun!).

Son and Kane are not as clinical as their reputation suggests.

I can think of so many important games where one or the other missed a critical chance that cost us progression in cups or points. So many games we create enough but Son/Kane (and others) fail to deliver the killing blow.

Kane against Dynamo Zagreb.

Son against Juve in the second leg 2017. A dominant performance let down by poor final touch/finish.
Son against Bayern 7-2, in the first half Son could have had a hattrick. Basically the same story.

The 2-2 against Liverpool this season was another prime example.

I can think of so many important games where one or the other missed a critical chance that cost us progression in cups or points. So many games we create enough but Son/Kane (and others) fail to deliver the killing blow.

Son against Juve in the second leg 2017. A dominant performance let down by poor final touch/finish.
Son against Bayern 7-2, in the first half Son could have had a hattrick. Basically the same story.

troll GIF

Reaching slightly with this one.

Reaching slightly with this one.

So many games like this. Especially at OT, and against the likes of Newcastle, West Brom etc.

Still top finishers, but reputation can sometimes get ahead of reality. Like Eriksen being good at scoring free kicks.

So many games like this. Especially at OT, and against the likes of Newcastle, West Brom etc.

Still top finishers, but reputation can sometimes get ahead of reality. Like Eriksen being good at scoring free kicks.

If they're not as clinical as their reputation suggests that means you think they're not in the WC bracket then?

Players miss chances, I can probably get a compilation of Salah blowing as much chances as Son and Kane, I don't think it means anything.

These two often top the scoring charts in the PL season in season out so they're doing something right!

If they're not as clinical as their reputation suggests that means you think they're not in the WC bracket then?

Players miss chances, I can probably get a compilation of Salah blowing as much chances as Son and Kane, I don't think it means anything.

These two often top the scoring charts in the PL season in season out so they're doing something right!
Of course, they're two of the most clinical, but the reputation is still a little overblown.

Especially for Son, in the sense that if does get a shot off it's usually a good one but he often fumbles a touch which prevents a shot, and so it doesn't register as not being clinical. The Kulu goal against City is a good example, Son fumbled the touch, and managed to recover by passing it to Kulu.

In the Liverpool reel there's 2/3 different instances where Son fumbled a fairly striaghtforward (for an elite player) pass and so the attack never went anywhere.

Of course, they're two of the most clinical, but the reputation is still a little overblown.

Especially for Son, in the sense that if does get a shot off it's usually a good one but he often fumbles a touch which prevents a shot, and so it doesn't register as not being clinical. The Kulu goal against City is a good example, Son fumbled the touch, and managed to recover by passing it to Kulu.

In the Liverpool reel there's 2/3 different instances where Son fumbled a fairly striaghtforward (for an elite player) pass and so the attack never went anywhere.

Son not being clinical or being inconsistent is well documented though.

Back
Top Bottom