Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm actually starting to take to the cunt. He's been excellent of late. He'll still have bad and average games because he's far from world-class, so that can be accepted, as long as he also puts in good one's here and here. He's been doing that lately. I'm okay with him being inconsistent rather than consistently shit.

He is the opposite of inconsistent.
Even when playing RB he was solid.
Now he is in his more natural position he is excelling and let's hope he can keep it up.

He was only consistent in giving poor performances for a while. I don't believe he's good enough to keep up his current form. He'll have some poor games. I still don't believe he's the answer long-term, but he's now no longer one of of the first players most would want out of the club as he was.

Not the answer long term but if we do bring in a top right wing back, he’ll still push that player and his versatility probably means he’d be a god first sub/ option to start in place of either that right wing back or on the other side.

Even if we went and brought someone in, I doubt Doherty starts fewer than 15 league matches next season.

I’m pretty sure I called him the worst signing in recent history which I’m more than happy to eat crow on now.

He’s been great the last few matches. I doubt he’ll keep it up at this level but do think he’ll continue to contribute. Will never be world class but that’s perfectly fine.
Seems like a decent guy as well which is always a massive bonus.

Conte bigging him up in his pre Villa game press conference...

"Matthew is the typical player that is showing big improvement. If you remember at the start he didn't play a lot with me because at that moment I think he didn't deserve to play. Then he worked very hard. He is a really good guy and in every training session you see the desire and the will to improve himself.

"He has a great mentality, many times when players don't play a lot they go down mentally. Instead he has shown me to be strong and shown me 'I do what you want, I am going to improve and when I am ready I want to play'. He has shown me that not with talking, but with attitude and behaviour. He is playing very well and with great confidence and I am very happy for him. It's a good example for everyone."

Neither of Doherty or Royal probably are our long-term option at RWB, but Doherty is putting in a really strong case for being an option. And for us to only need one RWB in the summer.

I did like the two celebrating Royal's goal set up by Doherty like crazy. When that happens with a goal that mattered little between two players competing for the same starting spot, it's always a good sign with the squad spirit imo.

Thought those were the numbers that made us sign him in the first place

Think he got about those numbers for Wolves the season before we signed him, not in 6 games though… but get what you mean.

Like Moses, looks tailor made to be a % threat now, where once or twice every game or two the patterns will see him free for an assist/goal chance. He’s working in tangible patterns/structure.

Would be epic if he ends 10+ Goals/Assists. No reason Sessegnon can’t do similar next season IMO.

Conte bigging him up in his pre Villa game press conference...

"Matthew is the typical player that is showing big improvement. If you remember at the start he didn't play a lot with me because at that moment I think he didn't deserve to play. Then he worked very hard. He is a really good guy and in every training session you see the desire and the will to improve himself.

"He has a great mentality, many times when players don't play a lot they go down mentally. Instead he has shown me to be strong and shown me 'I do what you want, I am going to improve and when I am ready I want to play'. He has shown me that not with talking, but with attitude and behaviour. He is playing very well and with great confidence and I am very happy for him. It's a good example for everyone."

Dude, this guy has it (Conte). Yield that desire from all the others on the edges, this is your hope…

He is epic.

I still don’t want him at left back as he cuts in every time and slows progress. He made a good run for the goal that could have been made at right back as well.

Emerson is just really poor and hard to watch at right back. Bundling home a goal doesn’t change his ability.

A real success story, was genuinely awful for the majority of time with us, barely recognizable as a footballer and a constant meme but he's turned it around massively, he now looks like a threat in the box and his composure has gone up levels, well done to him.

That’s what a top manager does. He shows the reality of a squad, who is good and just underperforming or being played out of position and who is genuinely not good enough.

Difficult to judge players under a shit manager as the manager causes half the issues.

Would be epic if he ends 10+ Goals/Assists. No reason Sessegnon can’t do similar next season IMO.

Tv Land Pain GIF by nobodies.
angry chris farley GIF
dog vip GIF

Back
Top Bottom