Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Zero point in selling Moura unless we receive an offer we can't refuse or he asks to go elsewhere. He is a proven useful PL player and of the right type to be a good impact sub. He's proven numerous times this season that he's handy to have around.

Bergwijn out and another attacker in makes a lot more sense.

Bergwijn really needs a change of scenery- he will continue to decline if not given at least every other game, which is just not gonna happen here right now. Lucas I would sell but, how much can we really expect to get for him? Might be better to keep Lucas, integrate Gil at LW and sell Bergwijn who has the higher current value.

Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with both of you.

If we end up with bloated numbers of 22 players like Hjojberg, Moura, Emerson etc - then it would be a catastrophe. WE. NEED. MORE. QUALITY. Moura and in the long run Hjojberg and Emerson I am afraid are just not good enough to be starters.

Before we can look at what we can bring on from the bench or use as part of rotation the initial quality has to be there. Otherwise we are just blending some average with another average. That will not improve the quality nor results. We need real competition in attacking trio, not 4th player who would represent real drop in quality. We don't need another PEH in midfield - we need a true quality CM who can keep the ball under pressure, find progressive passes and put pressure on opposition in defensive phase.

Quality, not quantity is what we are lacking.
I am saying the same thing about quality but that costs more and means less new players perhaps 2 like in January meaning more of the existing squad have to be retained.

G+A per 90 min for all forwards and wingbacks
Kulusevski - 0.97
Son - 0.86
Bergwijn - 0.70
Kane - 0.69
Doherty - 0.62
Moura - 0.40
Reggie - 0.25
Emerson - 0.11

I included the positions that we would expect most G+A to come from in the current formation. In case you are wondering, PEH, Bentancur, and Skipp are all below 0.15 and I don't think we expect a ton of goals and assists from central midfield.

So what stood out to me the most was Lucas being far below all other forwards and even well worse than Doherty. Part of this can be attributed to Lucas getting a lot of minutes when we were playing poorly and not as much when we are in form... however that itself may be a part of the reason for our form at different points throughout the year.

Was a bit surprised at just how high Doherty is but I would assume most of that came from the last 2 months. Even a 0.50 would be great from a wingback. I would assume he won't keep up the current pace.

Emerson is also really low which is probably a surprise to no one. Reggie is having a poor year and still more than twice the output.

Kind of weird to think he was probably the worst but player on the pitch but also seemed the most likely to make something happen.

He just makes a positive play and then always fucks it up before it turns into a chance.

G+A per 90 min for all forwards and wingbacks
Kulusevski - 0.97
Son - 0.86
Bergwijn - 0.70
Kane - 0.69
Doherty - 0.62
Moura - 0.40
Reggie - 0.25
Emerson - 0.11

I included the positions that we would expect most G+A to come from in the current formation. In case you are wondering, PEH, Bentancur, and Skipp are all below 0.15 and I don't think we expect a ton of goals and assists from central midfield.

So what stood out to me the most was Lucas being far below all other forwards and even well worse than Doherty. Part of this can be attributed to Lucas getting a lot of minutes when we were playing poorly and not as much when we are in form... however that itself may be a part of the reason for our form at different points throughout the year.

Was a bit surprised at just how high Doherty is but I would assume most of that came from the last 2 months. Even a 0.50 would be great from a wingback. I would assume he won't keep up the current pace.

Emerson is also really low which is probably a surprise to no one. Reggie is having a poor year and still more than twice the output.
Kind of weird to think he was probably the worst but player on the pitch but also seemed the most likely to make something happen.

He just makes a positive play and then always fucks it up before it turns into a chance.

Well you just summed everything up quite well.
He LOOKS like he might make something happen theoretically. But just running ability without execution and footballing brain will inevitably mean that he does not deliver. He has no end product and it has always been the case here. People were raving after Crystal Palace game, but it was his one true flash of a game this season - after that he has been involved in 15 (5 starts + 10 substitutions)EPL games with contribution of 2 assists.

When I pointed out that he is just runner with not enough ability and composure earlier... then I heard that "I am into stats not into football". But yesterday we all saw how cosmic the difference is between us playing with Moura (main contribution were poor touches, misplaced passes and few pressures) or with Kulusevski (came, saw, assisted).

If we actually do want to move on and proactively improve, then it would be just about right time to move Moura on. He is soon 30 and his end product has not improved one bit. And it will not improve either.

If we could squeeze like 15 mil out of him, I'd even split this between 2 seasons of Bale salary if nothing better comes up.
Even though Gareth would not be one for the long term, he would offer us undeniable quality - with his 1 season he scored 2 goals more (11) than Moura with last 3 seasons combined (9) (!!). And that really tells everything one needs to know.

His end product is higher than I expected to be fair (G + A). Where I think he really kills us is the erratic touches, passing and decisions in the middle third. Bale would bring calmness and composure from the bench whereas Lucas steams in charging around like a headless chicken. We don’t need G and A when you have Kane and Son, you need clever players that release them early (that said Kulu does both most of the time)

He’s fucking awful, Kane and Son must hate playing with him. He’s a BTEC Raheem Sterling

Kulusevski 8 pl assists in 13 games. Lucas 13 pl assists in his entire career.

Looong overdue for a transfer.

His end product is higher than I expected to be fair (G + A). Where I think he really kills us is the erratic touches, passing and decisions in the middle third. Bale would bring calmness and composure from the bench whereas Lucas steams in charging around like a headless chicken. We don’t need G and A when you have Kane and Son, you need clever players that release them early (that said Kulu does both most of the time)

He’s fucking awful, Kane and Son must hate playing with him. He’s a BTEC Raheem Sterling

I agree with other parts except for the part in bold.
cause -
1) we actually desperately need G and A outside of Kane and Son, cause currently there is no threat coming from midfield nor from fullbacks. Out threat has to be wider than 2 players.
2) when we have 3rd goalthreat on the field, it also gives more freedom and room to Son and Kane. Cause even if they do deliver, our aim has to be that they would deliver more. Even if they combine for 3 goals in each game, we have to still try to find 4th and 5th as well.
3) "releasing them early"... well quite often does lead to assist, depending on specific situation ;) .

It's impossible not to like Lucas, you know that he gives it his all whenever he plays. It's just sad that his all is not quite up to the mark required for us to improve. Having said that, it always amazes me how he's such a good header of the ball, as he outjumps so many players taller than him (in yesterday's game, he made an excellent clearing header from a corner, IIRC).
Reluctantly, I think it might be better all round for him to move on. Thanks for the memories, though
Valentines Day Love GIF by Digital Pratik

It's impossible not to like Lucas, you know that he gives it his all whenever he plays. It's just sad that his all is not quite up to the mark required for us to improve. Having said that, it always amazes me how he's such a good header of the ball, as he outjumps so many players taller than him (in yesterday's game, he made an excellent clearing header from a corner, IIRC).
Reluctantly, I think it might be better all round for him to move on. Thanks for the memories, though
Totally agree Mrs P. No ill will towards him, always works hard and wants to do well but its really time to move on this summer. We have to have better squad options, preferably younger with a higher ceiling. Moura is 30 with 2 years left on his contract, its 100% the right time to sell.

Lucas is a nice guy and a hard worker but his end product has never been there. He is a very limited player and I don’t think he‘s ever really found any kind of football synergy with the players around him. I never feel like he has a real understanding with the players around him. He just gets his head down and does his chaotic dribbling/running, most of the time it ends with him falling down and occasionally it ends with him scoring.

When Kulusevski came on yesterday the difference was immediately obvious. Deki can actually play, he is slick and smart. Lucas is a tryer but not much else. If we have to choose between him and Bergwijn this summer then I choose Bergwijn. He at least looks more natural actually playing football with our other players.

He will never be a quality player because he is most useful for dribbling in midfield but his greatest weakness is that he can't consistently receive the ball in midfield without it bouncing 5 yards away. So basically if you put him further up the pitch he's useless as it negates his midfield dribbling. He will always be a player that can make a play but is more likely to make an error, not too different from Lamela (in Lamela's case it was his slow/poor decision making rather than poor touch).

OK, Kulu needed a kick up the arse but Tony gave him his chance yesterday and he didn't take it.
Great memories of him from the past and I have a feeling he will give us something else to remember him for before he leaves this summer.

Back
Top Bottom