The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We can't expect to get anything from Liverpool.
But we can't "not care if we lose" unless we're over 6 points above Arse.

Because we lose that then lose to them, we're level on points with 1 game to go.

Does anyone alive want that?

And before anyone says it's just relegated Norwich, I'll point you to the 5-1 loss to relegated 10 man Newcastle debacle a few a years ago.

And if we steer clear of injuries, we are better than all of those sides bar Pool whether they have something to play for or not

Brighton might ‘have sun loungers out’ but I would rather play Norwich or Burnley all day long. Besides, those two could be down by the time we play em anyway
We're better than Burnley, Southampton, Wolves and United but got zero points from those games.
If it was as easy as beating everyone we're better than we'd be a lot closer to the top of the league than 5th.

We may have an easy run in based on average positions of each team, but Burnley, Norwich, Brentford are all fighting relegation. Leicester and Woolwich want Europe, Liverpool want the title so only really Brighton with the sun loungers out.
Brentford are 12 points clear of the bottom 3, they are safe.

Great result today for Norwich to drag Burnley back down. There's a good chance both of them are already relegated by the time we play them.

The way I see it we win the next 3 and we get top 4.

Wolves are such a weird team, when they play us and almost every time I watch them they look so slick and capable (except the lack of goals), but in between they end up losing/drawing to every other Leeds and Newcastle.

Their loss to Newcastle was appalling...

You watch they'll give City a rough ride next week though.

We can’t expect to beat Liverpool either away. Can we get a result? No doubt, but i don’t think we are going to win every single one of our games bud, so if you gave me a choice to drop points in 1 game, it would be the Liverpool one. We win all our other games, we get 4th it’s as simple as that.

Trading off of expectations is a fooling game anyway.

Much like taking it for granted that we'll win our other 6 games would be.

We're better than Burnley, Southampton, Wolves and United but got zero points from those games.
If it was as easy as beating everyone we're better than we'd be a lot closer to the top of the league than 5th.
True but we are now settled, creating chances and defending well too. We played well against Wolves and Utd tbh and were unlucky, luck balances itself out eventually and we saw that yesterday

Not saying it will be easy, but we aren’t fluking wins like under Jose or Nuno (which was clearly unsustainable).

Brentford beat Wham 2-0, leaving Wham 6 points behind us having played a game more - and they have only 6 games left to play.

Amazing weekend results with all 4 teams jus below us who are/were top 4 contenders (Woolwich, ManU, Wham, Wolves) all losing this weekend whilst we win 4-0, so all of them have lost ground on us.

Brentford beat Wham 2-0, leaving Wham 6 points behind us having played a game more - and they have only 6 games left to play.

Amazing weekend results with all 4 teams jus below us who are/were top 4 contenders (Woolwich, ManU, Wham, Wolves) all losing this weekend whilst we win 4-0, so all of them have lost ground on us.
Another +5 onto our GD vs Goons too.

We can't expect to get anything from Liverpool.
But we can't "not care if we lose" unless we're over 6 points above Arse.

Because we lose that then lose to them, we're level on points with 1 game to go.

Does anyone alive want that?

And before anyone says it's just relegated Norwich, I'll point you to the 5-1 loss to relegated 10 man Newcastle debacle a few a years ago.
Not sure why you're getting your knickers in a twist when we are clearly in the better position:

1. If I assume we win our next 3 (which we should) and Woolwich get 4 points from their next 4 (they will probably beat one of Southampton/WH and then nick another point somewhere) we will go into the Liverpool game 8 points clear. If they pick up 2 wins then we're 6 points clear. (Plus a better GD)
2. I fully expect us to pump them at the Lane regardless so this is rather academic anyway
3. Post NLD we have Burnley/Norwich they have Newcastle/Everton. Depending on how it plays out all four of those could have something to play for or all four could have their destinies settled by then. If you boil it down in it's simplest terms, Everton and Newcastle are better teams than Norwich or Burnley so again I would take our fixtures.

Liverpool is 100% a free hit and I think that will work to our advantage. We will get something from Anfield I feel it in my loins.

This weekend could not have gone better, it literally is a dream but there is a lot of work to do and the same could easily happen to us.. We have to enjoy weekends like this but be prepared for a tough slog.
I believe we now have that manager that has removed the soft undebelly and will not allow complacancy.

Fasten ya seat belts......

Not sure why you're getting your knickers in a twist when we are clearly in the better position:

1. If I assume we win our next 3 (which we should) and Woolwich get 4 points from their next 4 (they will probably beat one of Southampton/WH and then nick another point somewhere) we will go into the Liverpool game 8 points clear. If they pick up 2 wins then we're 6 points clear. (Plus a better GD)
2. I fully expect us to pump them at the Lane regardless so this is rather academic anyway
3. Post NLD we have Burnley/Norwich they have Newcastle/Everton. Depending on how it plays out all four of those could have something to play for or all four could have their destinies settled by then. If you boil it down in it's simplest terms, Everton and Newcastle are better teams than Norwich or Burnley so again I would take our fixtures.

Liverpool is 100% a free hit and I think that will work to our advantage. We will get something from Anfield I feel it in my loins.
I’m also positive but don’t see us winning the next 3. All 3 sides can score goals and defend, I expect us to drop points but as you say, goons may only pick up 4 or 5 points too

Can Utd find form? They’ve got enough match winners to put a run together if they regain confidence but look an absolute basket case

And goal difference means another point, so it's them on a minimum 35 games having won all 3 to be beyond us. Unlikely.

There is still room for twists and turns but beat Brighton next Saturday afternoon and we pile on the pressure.

We just need to focus, not get overly confident, stay calm and get this done.

Come on Foggy.... Admit it.... You're secretly Spurs.

Let's get you a nice cockerel avatar and be done with this cute little charade. :sonpoint:
😁😁😁

I remain a Juventus fan because you are born and die fans of a team but I like you and I am happy that a former Juventus legend (Conte) and Juventus players (Kulu and Benta, Romero was just a bureaucratic step unfortunately: today I would have seen it well with De Light) help to make you return to the top four.

Qualification for the Champions League is essential for Conte to remain and the club to invest. I hate (football) clubs like PSG who think you can buy everything. The history of a club is built, it's not just big budgets.

😁😁😁

I remain a Juventus fan because you are born and die fans of a team but I like you and I am happy that a former Juventus legend (Conte) and Juventus players (Kulu and Benta, Romero was just a bureaucratic step unfortunately: today I would have seen it well with De Light) help to make you return to the top four.

Qualification for the Champions League is essential for Conte to remain and the club to invest. I hate (football) clubs like PSG who think you can buy everything. The history of a club is built, it's not just big budgets.

I hear ya...... :tanguythumb:

So....

Whadya think... This one?

Tottenham-Hotspur-2006.jpg

Or this one?

Tottenham-Hotspur-1995.jpg

:tobyarm:

Back
Top Bottom