Brighton (H) - Saturday (16th April) 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure what has been said on here today but that performance earlier was nothing short of a disgrace. Sometimes you have a shitty loss and you can pick a handful of players that done ok. Today? Nothing. All of them were crap, if I had to pick one that done his job, maybe Dier, the rest of them clueless wankers

After the match last week we were all buzzin, then the next day we saw Harry at the Masters!
I am originally from NIreland and have lived in Canada for 40years, I’ve made that flight back home over 100-times and I can tell you, even when I was younger, it takes it‘s toll out of you.
You really don’t sleep/sleep well in either direction and it probably takes a couple of weeks until you’re 100% back to normal. I couldn’t believe when I saw Harry there in the middle of a crucial part of the season, how did Conte sanction this?

giphy-downsized-large.gif
Nobody can find an anti English comment of mine, because I don't make them

Harry’s Post Match Thoughts

1. Shadow of the Cockerel on the pitch today was very cool. Hadn’t noticed before. Guess the sun finally came out in London

2. Woeful passing today. Nervy, hurried and way off target.

3. Playing fuck around in our own third is not my favorite tactic. Lucky they didn’t have 2-3 goals

4. Royal was particularly bad today. Awfully slow for that position. Massive upgrade is needed at RB.

5. Thought PEH was excellent today. Spurs MOTM for me.

6. Hugo was shaky. Distribution was poor. He’s definitely up and down player.

7. Who saw this coming?

8. What happened to banging in goals at an alarming rate? Barely getting shots off today against a team with nothing to really play for.

Brighton and teams like them piss me off, just time waste at every single opportunity.
Surely we wasted time the whole first half where we too an eternity to take throw ins and basically just twaddled around with the ball at the back doing nothing. Dier to Romero and back again must have been some sort of recurs today. Romero skies the pace down so much with his casual play it’s unbelievable.

We saw Conte effectively outmanoeuvred by Gerrard last week. He went 3+1 in a kind of diamond, pushed his FB's right up and just out pressed and out passed our midfield for 45 minutes. We effectively broke it with a couple of long balls that were ruthlessly converted into goals by Kane/Son.

Potter had done some homework, tactically prepared, and was smarter than Gerrard. he went with a 352, also a kind of 3+1 diamond with Mwepu preventing our CB's feeding the CM's, their 3cm's swamping our 2, and working really hard to cut out supply to the FB's.

This gives a snapshot idea of how hard Brighton worked at shutting down our out balls and passing lanes.

Conte's strategy is very predictable. But when well executed can still be pretty hard to stop. When you have a forward line clicking like Kane/Son/Kulusevski have the last couple of months, even when the opposition do play it well, you still have a chance, but Brighton got everything right today.

Everyone was getting excited about Bentancur, but just like Hojbjerg and Winks, he can look ok when the oppo's not great, but when the heat is on, he's starts to look very ordinary.

To be fair, once again, our CM2 weren't helped by Conte's structure. A good cm2 will struggle when outnumbered and outthought. And ours isn't that good, especially under press, they also didn't get much help as Kulusevski and especially Son don't work hard enough off the ball and Son is hopeless receiving the ball in midfield areas.

Brighton did a pretty good job on us. We had no answers.

We saw Conte effectively outmanoeuvred by Gerrard last week. He went 3+1 in a kind of diamond, pushed his FB's right up and just out pressed and out passed our midfield for 45 minutes. We effectively broke it with a couple of long balls that were ruthlessly converted into goals by Kane/Son.

Potter had done some homework, tactically prepared, and was smarter than Gerrard. he went with a 352, also a kind of 3+1 diamond with Mwepu preventing our CB's feeding the CM's, their 3cm's swamping our 2, and working really hard to cut out supply to the FB's.

This gives a snapshot idea of how hard Brighton worked at shutting down our out balls and passing lanes.

Conte's strategy is very predictable. But when well executed can still be pretty hard to stop. When you have a forward line clicking like Kane/Son/Kulusevski have the last couple of months, even when the opposition do play it well, you still have a chance, but Brighton got everything right today.

Everyone was getting excited about Bentancur, but just like Hojbjerg and Winks, he can look ok when the oppo's not great, but when the heat is on, he's starts to look very ordinary.

To be fair, once again, our CM2 weren't helped by Conte's structure. A good cm2 will struggle when outnumbered and outthought. And ours isn't that good, especially under press, they also didn't get much help as Kulusevski and especially Son don't work hard enough off the ball and Son is hopeless receiving the ball in midfield areas.

Brighton did a pretty good job on us. We had no answers.

Agree.

What I didn't understand was why Conte didn't change the system as we were crying out for an extra body in midfield - take a defender off, go 433 and have more options going forward.

Everyone looked like they were on drugs today but I still would've left at least one of Son or Kulu on just for their ability to score/create.

Brighton did close things off well but our passing was so slow and laboured even when we had options - fully expected that to change after half time - and players definitely were not playing the right ball (simple, to feet, the way they were facing), but a preferred ball to a preferred player often ignoring someone who was easier to find.

Being that lifeless is hard to explain but in terms of set up and tactical application I thought Conte showed some inflexibility today which is a cause for concern. I just hope we have not been sussed out and can still get the points we need for fourth. Our upcoming opponents will have seen today's game and will be daft if they don't try something similar. Can we deal with it?

Kane looking leggy had nothing to do with him swanning off to watch the f***ing golf in America, right?

It was complacent to go imo.
Shut up. One has nothing to do with the other. Son also looked leggy as you put it..care to explain that? Maybe it's because the two of them play the whole of practically every game. Too obvious an explanation for you?

As I’ve said already, the players looked leggy and slow because of the pressure. Not because of tactics or training or the Masters. Everything was there for us to win today and the players couldn’t cope with being in this position. Let’s see about Brentford.

It was so clear to see especially from the 60th on. We looked stifled by the occasion. Even Cuti pretty much looked like Sanchez on ice with and without the ball. Kane and Son could hardly string two passes.

Last edited:
As I’ve said already, the players looked leggy and slow because of the pressure. Not because of tactics or training or the Masters. Everything was there for us to win today and the players couldn’t cope with being in this position. Let’s see about Brentford.

It was so clear to see especially from the 60th on. We looked stifled by the occasion. Even Cuti pretty much looked like Sanchez on ice with and without the ball. Kane and Son could hardly string two passes.
If that was us cracking under pressure we are fucked and we will be thrashed in the nld

If that was us cracking under pressure we are fucked and we will be thrashed in the nld
That’s what worries me. Even if we get to the last couple games in 4th, based on this performance I don’t know if we have the bottle to get it done. It really was that bad.

Arse and United have lost games recently, but not at home managing basically one shot. Arse actually played ok today. To have such a big game at home and hardly even enter the final third, let alone create decent chances is staggering.

All I saw was Dier hoofing it long to our forwards. Brighton was totally ready for it. If we had a very technical gifted AM who could break the high press and create better numbers in the attacking end we could have got after em.
Announce Christian and/or Gareth.....

After the match last week we were all buzzin, then the next day we saw Harry at the Masters!
I am originally from NIreland and have lived in Canada for 40years, I’ve made that flight back home over 100-times and I can tell you, even when I was younger, it takes it‘s toll out of you.
You really don’t sleep/sleep well in either direction and it probably takes a couple of weeks until you’re 100% back to normal. I couldn’t believe when I saw Harry there in the middle of a crucial part of the season, how did Conte sanction this?
I think it showed contempt for the team and the manager. Harry is becoming another Ronaldo/Pogba style prima donna......doesn't bode well for the future.

I thought maybe we may have the mental bottle under Conte to win such games but I may be wrong. Spurs know how to ruin a weekend. One thing I’ve learnt is that Potter’s stock as a manager certainly hasn’t been hurt by the last week. Tactically got it spot on.

against Villa we played zonal when defending corners
against BHA sometimes we played zonal other times it was a mix of zonal & man to man, no sure if it was a different corner taker forzonal then man to man (and yeswe didn't lose to a corner) but worried in case it was a player decided which to do from each corner
as others have said when we have to make the running we can't do it, we are good at break away football, was this a Potter master class ?

Shut up. One has nothing to do with the other. Son also looked leggy as you put it..care to explain that? Maybe it's because the two of them play the whole of practically every game. Too obvious an explanation for you?

Yep. Contes hard on for giving them full 90s when we are 3-4 goals up is catching up on them. The Newcastle and Villa games were a gimme to take them off and keep Berg happy with 30 minutes not 5

I think it showed contempt for the team and the manager. Harry is becoming another Ronaldo/Pogba style prima donna......doesn't bode well for the future.
You are entitled to your opinion butI can’t see that myself. If he was a primadonna why would he be content to set up so many chances for others to score? I think he largely plays unselfishly and puts the team first.

Back
Top Bottom