Brighton (H) - Saturday (16th April) 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After the match last week we were all buzzin, then the next day we saw Harry at the Masters!
I am originally from NIreland and have lived in Canada for 40years, I’ve made that flight back home over 100-times and I can tell you, even when I was younger, it takes it‘s toll out of you.
You really don’t sleep/sleep well in either direction and it probably takes a couple of weeks until you’re 100% back to normal. I couldn’t believe when I saw Harry there in the middle of a crucial part of the season, how did Conte sanction this?
I'm sure it's a bit different going first class..

I was close to Hugo throughout the second half. His frustration at our performance was palpable. Which leads me to wonder, once more, why we haven't got an outfield captain who can actually influence attitudes on the pitch - because poor old Hugo can't, from his position. We needed a strong character to give his teammates a kick up the arse today.
Maybe give Romero a try next season

I know my tactical nous is pretty basic (and that's me being kind), but as our creative MF is practically non existent, how about we play with 5 forwards, and just pump long balls into their area?????
Stupid idea, but it might have worked yesterday - anything would have been better than yesterday's "performance" !!!

Performance is a loose term for it

No player came out with any credit

Up there with our worst of the season

Whilst I do agree we had an "off" day. Brighton's tactics totally nullified our system and players. It felt like there was nothing we could do apart from hope for some bit of luck. I am shocked Conte did not change it. I kept waiting for Reggie to come off for an attacker and for us to switch to 4 at the back.

Brighton were a disgrace with their time wasting and play acting but ref Pawson was very weak as usual

We were still shit though

Last edited:
I know my tactical nous is pretty basic (and that's me being kind), but as our creative MF is practically non existent, how about we play with 5 forwards, and just pump long balls into their area?????
Stupid idea, but it might have worked yesterday - anything would have been better than yesterday's "performance" !!!
no creative mids, we have safe ones who pass sideways and back

Gooners losing yesterday softened the blow. For me yesterday was our worst ever performance since we lost to Leverkusen 3-1 in champions league a few years back. Diabolical performance. Still in our hands top 4 though.

Honestly 99.9% of the time it would be a horrible idea but I legitimately think I agree it wouldn't have been any worse. I mean all we were doing all game to try and create was launching long, terrible balls to Son which never even got close to him. The one time we created a chance was a diagonal long ball straight up to Kane who knocked it down for Bergwijn.

If you're not gonna press the Brighton midfield and not gonna even attempt playing through them .. might as well just play hoofball.

Yesterday's performance made NO sense... Especially after how resolute we were against the Villa onslaught... THAT was a game we'd normally lose, so to do it yesterday was baffling...

I'm thinking all sorts now ...

My latest theory (tin foil hats on people) is that Sky told/paid us to lose, just to keep May 12th interesting!

I'm not convinced that any player on the pitch, with the exception perhaps of Eric, was in the slightest bit interested in their penalty area. E.R. DEFINITELY wasn't. He had opportunities, but always chose to hold the ball, turn around and tap it backwards, to give Brighton a chance to set themselves, or just to lose it to them. Goodness - I've still not got over it.

Brighton had so many wide open spaces at the back, that continually pumping it upfield would eventually either have resulted in Kane getting onto the ball, or in them having to change their tactics, both of which would have been better than nothing. Instead, we played like a team of Winkses - and then Winks himself came on!

My 2p

Worst performance I've seen since wolves this year and this was much worse

Royal should never play football again worst player I've ever seen 😑

Read a few comments about outfield captain surely thats Kane he is englands???

We looked worse then I've seen under any recent manager but makes no sense after the way we have been playing recently.

Passing was woeful,lost count of the amount of times dier passed it to Romero then back again when there was a easy pass forward, none of our players move into space, there was always a Brighton player in front but this isnt a todays game thing its a inherrent problem in the team week in week out

Read a few comments about outfield captain surely thats Kane he is englands???

Tbh I think that's more a 'lead by example' captaincy choice. He's a bit dull, says the right things and acts very professionally aside from that uh .. one incident. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will be roaring at his teammates & organising them if shit is going south. Henderson seems more of the 'real' England captain in that sense.

Absolutely dreadful game yesterday. Nothing positive from it whatsoever from a footballing point of view. Was just a real poor performance.

In the standard play books of the way football results tend to go, based on recent form yesterday was most likely going to be one of those games that we drop points. You don't win every game and I got to the point in the match where it was just important not to lose, take the point and move on. But no that didn't happen.

I still think we're in a good position, especially with Woolwich losing too. Big week of fixtures coming up now. Hopefully we will put in a much better performance against Brentford next week as they are in great form.

Well the hangover is nearly gone, the post match beers numbed the pain of having to watch a team so flat and devoid of any ideas.

I just don't get how a team can go from free scoring and being creative one week to what we saw yesterday.

From what I could make out, their wing backs were better than ours and bissouma ran the midfield.

Our players don't trust Emerson, he did get into some good positions but never got the ball and I can only assume serge is carrying an injury

Well the hangover is nearly gone, the post match beers numbed the pain of having to watch a team so flat and devoid of any ideas.
I just don't get how a team can go from free scoring and being creative one week to what we saw yesterday.
From what I could make out, their wing backs were better than ours and bissouma ran the midfield.
Our players don't trust Emerson, he did get into some good positions but never got the ball and I can only assume serge is carrying an injury.
...either that, or he was a bit busy playing for Villareal?

Back
Top Bottom