Brighton (H) - Saturday (16th April) 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well I didn’t actually foul vote it. I was just being dramatic for effect.
Not like you to be a drama Queen?

Sassy Drama Queen GIF

So the weather and the fact Brighton had / have to play for didn’t impact them and how their attitude towards the game?

Clearly not, you surely watched the game. One team played seriously. The other team was strolling around in the sunshine. We played like a team that already qualified for the CL and already put their flip-flops on. A team that fell for their own hype.

Clearly not, you surely watched the game. One team played seriously. The other team was strolling around in the sunshine. We played like a team that already qualified for the CL and already put their flip-flops on. A team that fell for their own hype.

Some are making the excuse that Conte had Covid so no proper training sessions

Ridiculous and I hope he bollocked every one of them after the game

Honestly 99.9% of the time it would be a horrible idea but I legitimately think I agree it wouldn't have been any worse. I mean all we were doing all game to try and create was launching long, terrible balls to Son which never even got close to him. The one time we created a chance was a diagonal long ball straight up to Kane who knocked it down for Bergwijn.

If you're not gonna press the Brighton midfield and not gonna even attempt playing through them .. might as well just play hoofball.
Problem is we don't have 5 forwards...or 4...or 3.....

Yes

He’s a professional footballer getting paid a lot of money and supposed to be a striker so yes he should have at the very least hit the target

His technique was crap and he probably bottled it like he did at the Dippers a while back

A flash in the pan like the Leicester game is not enough imv

It clearly is with you?
I didn’t say that per set however I’m saying the criticism is a tad ott. You could apply the your sane cricusm to the starting 11? They are all professional footballers paid millions yet they can’t pass to a team mate for May be more than 3 consecutive passes. How about running about a bit and making an effort none of which they did yday. Some forward passes wouldn’t go a miss. Hitting long balls to no one. I could go on. So signalling out berg who hardly ever played gets 3 mins to make a diff and probably thinks he needs to really make a difference is bound to affect his confidence and rhythm. Please note i am not saying berg is a world beater.

Yes i am in total agreement with you on our performance and attitude. They however turned up as they say and we thought we didn’t need to. Question is where this that attitude come from?

I didn’t say that per set however I’m saying the criticism is a tad ott. You could apply the your sane cricusm to the starting 11? They are all professional footballers paid millions yet they can’t pass to a team mate for May be more than 3 consecutive passes. How about running about a bit and making an effort none of which they did yday. Some forward passes wouldn’t go a miss. Hitting long balls to no one. I could go on. So signalling out berg who hardly ever played gets 3 mins to make a diff and probably thinks he needs to really make a difference is bound to affect his confidence and rhythm. Please note i am not saying berg is a world beater.
But I have criticised the whole team as they were shite and a disgrace to the shirt but Berg has occasionally flattered to deceive but , like a few others, just isn’t good enough and that shocking miss typifies him as it wasn’t the first time

But I have criticised the whole team as they were shite and a disgrace to the shirt but Berg has occasionally flattered to deceive but , like a few others, just isn’t good enough and that shocking miss typifies him as it wasn’t the first time
Ok then we are virtually on the sane page..

Agree.

What I didn't understand was why Conte didn't change the system as we were crying out for an extra body in midfield - take a defender off, go 433 and have more options going forward.

Everyone looked like they were on drugs today but I still would've left at least one of Son or Kulu on just for their ability to score/create.

Brighton did close things off well but our passing was so slow and laboured even when we had options - fully expected that to change after half time - and players definitely were not playing the right ball (simple, to feet, the way they were facing), but a preferred ball to a preferred player often ignoring someone who was easier to find.

Being that lifeless is hard to explain but in terms of set up and tactical application I thought Conte showed some inflexibility today which is a cause for concern. I just hope we have not been sussed out and can still get the points we need for fourth. Our upcoming opponents will have seen today's game and will be daft if they don't try something similar. Can we deal with it?

I think switching to a 433 yesterday would have been the logical move, especially against a Brighton who had one guy up front and struggle to convert possession into chances. Would have helped us play out without sacrificing that front three.

All we got were three like for like changes that made very little difference to the tactical quagmire, effectively swapping in inferior (or certainly no better) components to the same positions to struggle with the same structural problems.

Certainly the reason Conte didn’t change things is because basically the same thing happened against Villa. They battered us in the first half, he stuck with the same tactics, and it paid off in the second half. I’m not defending him, that’s just my explanation.

But Brighton didn't batter us at all. They were sitting back. So we passed sideways to hoof ball at times and couldn't break down a bus.

If we'd just moved the ball quickly we probably would have scored a goal. The one time we took a throw in with any urgency we almost scored when Kane threw it straight to Son. Compare that to the throw that Reguilon took in the first half where he took a full minute to throw the ball back into play in our own half.

Honestly the performance was frightening to watch. I thought we had finally understood that to win a match you need to work hard but I was obviously completely wrong. This team still isn't willing to work hard in every game. All the belief I had in them after our recent run has been erased.

But Brighton didn't batter us at all. They were sitting back. So we passed sideways to hoof ball at times and couldn't break down a bus.

They had 61% of the territory, completed more than twice as many passes (102 v 44) in our third as we did in theirs. They had 12 shots to our 5, 5 on target to our 0.

You know we were the team in white, yes?

They didn’t exactly batter us, but they didn’t just “sit back” either, we did more of that than they did.

Jeez. Just watched the last 10mins which I missed in real time. Big miss from Bergwijn. Would have been nice to see him on the field making smart runs like that for 30mins instead of Lucas playing pinball.

Jeez. Just watched the last 10mins which I missed in real time. Big miss from Bergwijn. Would have been nice to see him on the field making smart runs like that for 30mins instead of Lucas playing pinball.
I thought that Conte would've bypassed the midfield 2nd half with a bit of long ball action, and some runners, like he did against Villa, as we were clearly unable to pass our way through Brighton's well organised 2 banks of 4. Potter's tactics were straight out of the Burnley playbook, but they worked! Our boys looked clueless and sluggish, and I feel that Conte should have done more tactically. I've only just stopped stewing over it.
To top it off, I burnt my head at No8 Bar after the game🤣

Back
Top Bottom