Tottenham Hotspur in the 70s.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why did England never pick him? Some right old donkeys played in his position why did Steve never get a look-in or a run in the national side?

Can't be because his face didn't fit, as you know he was a very handsome man. ;)
That wouldn't have been the case if I had been England manager :love:

Why did England never pick him? Some right old donkeys played in his position why did Steve never get a look-in or a run in the national side?

Can't be because his face didn't fit, as you know he was a very handsome man. ;)
There are a lot of things I don't get about England in the 70s. The main one is why we failed to qualify for two world cups despite having a wealth of fantastic players at our disposal.

There are a lot of things I don't get about England in the 70s. The main one is why we failed to qualify for two world cups despite having a wealth of fantastic players at our disposal.
Were they that fantastic though? Kevin Keegan was probably England's best player in the 70's.

But apart from him who else was really world level in that era?

Basically it was an amazing year, I was doing my A levels and SNEAKING off to night matches.
I watched a few matches on The Big Match replayed on some repeat channel and they show us playing mostly English and Scottish players together with brilliant foreigners like Ardiles. Whilst we weren't winning the league then either, but somehow the sense of fun and endeavour.

If KB had've stayed on a few years beyond 1984 and the "there used to be a football club over there" speech... He may well have won us the League with "David Pleat's XI"

FIFY :perryman:

My favourite was when he scored against the goons and then gave them the 'v' sign - very risque back then 🤭
Sadly, not entirely true.
Skip had been getting some unfair stick from the ST holders in the old West Stand.
The double V-sign was aimed at them.
He confirmed this years later. (in his '82 autobiography I think)

Sadly, not entirely true.
Skip had been getting some unfair stick from the ST holders in the old West Stand.
The double V-sign was aimed at them.
He confirmed this years later. (in his '82 autobiography I think)
Then if they were giving him stick, then they deserved it! Good job I wasn't ever in the West Stand back then, otherwise they would have got a piece of my mind!!!
I have his '82 autobiography, I obviously missed that bit :)

A burned out Alf Ramsay up to 74
Then Don Revie and Ron Greenwood
Enough said

Then if they were giving him stick, then they deserved it! Good job I wasn't ever in the West Stand back then, otherwise they would have got a piece of my mind!!!
I have his '82 autobiography, I obviously missed that bit :)

If you follow the angle, you can see it's for the West Stand.

A burned out Alf Ramsay up to 74
Then Don Revie and Ron Greenwood
Enough said
And a certain Polish goalkeeper.
Think we'd have done well in Germany - we had some excellent players at the time.
People tend to forget that Poland were a decent team back then - they finished third in the tournament.
Lato was a world class striker.

And a certain Polish goalkeeper.
Think we'd have done well in Germany - we had some excellent players at the time.
People tend to forget that Poland were a decent team back then - they finished third in the tournament.
Lato was a world class striker.
And Poland would have beaten Germany on a proper playing surface
As I recall there was a cloudburst just before kick off and the game should never have been played

Poland beat England 2-0 over there and we always struggled after that only scrambling a 1-1 home draw with Wales with a great shot from Hunter

And Poland would have beaten Germany on a proper playing surface
As I recall there was a cloudburst just before kick off and the game should never have been played

Poland beat England 2-0 over there and we always struggled after that only scrambling a 1-1 home draw with Wales with a great shot from Hunter
I have plenty of memories of that World Cup.
Scotland going home undefeated - Not scoring enough goals in the Zaire game was their undoing.
East Germany beating their Western neighbours - that really was a unique game.
The Cruyff turn of course.
Brazil kicking lumps out of the Dutch.
Not to mention the final being delayed, because there were no corner flags on the pitch.

I have plenty of memories of that World Cup.
Scotland going home undefeated - Not scoring enough goals in the Zaire game was their undoing.
East Germany beating their Western neighbours - that really was a unique game.
The Cruyff turn of course.
Brazil kicking lumps out of the Dutch.
Not to mention the final being delayed, because there were no corner flags on the pitch.
I don’t remember the corner flags but that Brazilian team was one of the worst ever!

East Germany game was strange to watch but losing meant an easier task in the next round

Back
Top Bottom