Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah I was very disappointed, obviously, with how it all ended. :)

Didn’t win away from home for a year either. I think a lot of shit happened behind the scenes, starting with that unnecessary book. Maybe if he came back things would be different but I still think it is too soon. I would have him back but if he came I think him and levy would fall out really quickly if Poch didn’t get what he wanted. If levy thinks he can get Poch and not have to back him this summer exactly like he would have to back Conte then he’s got another thing coming. Besides, could we survive another season of Ndombele and winks at the club? I sure as fuck couldn’t!

Didn’t win away from home for a year either. I think a lot of shit happened behind the scenes, starting with that unnecessary book. Maybe if he came back things would be different but I still think it is too soon. I would have him back but if he came I think him and levy would fall out really quickly if Poch didn’t get what he wanted. If levy thinks he can get Poch and not have to back him this summer exactly like he would have to back Conte then he’s got another thing coming. Besides, could we survive another season of Ndombele and winks at the club? I sure as fuck couldn’t!

Fuck sake, now you've ruined my day and ruined my dinner. I hope you're satisfied!

run away GIF

No but you seem to think a cup is all that matters, an FA cup at that not a CL.

The club managed to get a good first 11 but still had a weak bench. We put all our eggs in the top 4 CL basket and we got that 4 times in a row, something we have never come close to achiving before.

The clubs main ambitious this season is guess what top 4 and the season will be considered a success if we get it. If you want a manager who prioritise cups then it’s likely Levy will tell you to fuck off.
Achieving top 4 is not an excuse to throw cup games.

We had a good enough team to not get knocked out by the likes of Colchester or Gent, we had a good enough team to win at least one trophy in 5 years.

I'm tired of the "lack of funds" being used to paper over every crack in his managership.

Playing Son at left back was fucking moronic, as was playing an out of form Kane over Lucas in a CL final.
He got tactically bitch slapped by every elite manager he faced.

Achieving top 4 is not an excuse to throw cup games.

We had a good enough team to not get knocked out by the likes of Colchester or Gent, we had a good enough team to win at least one trophy in 5 years.

I'm tired of the "lack of funds" being used to paper over every crack in his managership.

Playing Son at left back was fucking moronic, as was playing an out of form Kane over Lucas in a CL final.
He got tactically bitch slapped by every elite manager he faced.

So did Conte, so did Jose, so did Redknapp if you are referring to being done by elite managers while managing Spurs, Conte got slaughtered by Tuchel this season. We have never had the strongest squad and our depth has alway meant we have to prioritise, that is not hard to understand. Was there errors yes, I don’t expect perfection.

The issues you are raising are mostly that the owner/Chairman/DoF need to fix, investment, long term strategy etc. If you think any manager Klopp included is winning the title under current ownership/investment levels then you might be waiting a long time. As for cups top 4 is currently our priority and has been for years.

So did Conte, so did Jose, so did Redknapp if you are referring to be done by elite managers while managing Spurs. We have never had the strongest squad and our depth has alway meant we have to prioritise that is not hard to understand. Was their errors yes, I don’t expect perfection.

The issues you are raising are mostly that the owner/Chairman/DoF need to fix, investment, long term strategy etc. If you think any manager Klopp included is winning the title under current ownership/investment levels then you might be waiting a long time.
The faults of past managers do not erase the failures of recent ones.

We had some really quite cracking teams under Poch the 2018 squad with Kane an inform Dele and Eriksen, Vertonghen and Toby at the back.

You cannot tell me that Poch winning nothing in 5 years was an achievement or even acceptable.

And yet that is well beyond anything we have achieved in decades so what does that make all our other managers in that time? You do realise you support a club with very limited resources that has been net spend zero for ages (excluding last few seasons).

If you are expecting better that what we had you might be waiting for a few more decades.
What's wrong with this argument is that you're both right and you are both wrong. The truth was in the middle. The Poch years were an objective joy. But he made a massive mistake in not throwing that team at a serious attempt to win an FA cup. It would not only have been a reward to us the fans but it would have cemented belife in his methods and project with everyone from Kyle Walker to Christian Eriksen. An FA cup in them first 15 months IMHO sees us win the title and possibly a ECL. That Pochettino did not see this is to his massive detriment.

The ideal time for Poch to come back for me is in about 5-10 years when hopefully both he and us have had some progress and evolution in capability. But I guess there is no ideal time and there are certainly worse options. I’m still not sure he’s mentally ready to come back afresh. PSG will have left him with some demons too. God awful club that. For me, I’m desperately hoping we can keep Conte for at least another 2 seasons. For that, we have to make CL and provide a record breaking war chest… and I just can’t see the club doing either. Tough times.

Couldn't agree more. 5 to 10 is exactly what I had in mind when he left but a couple have passed already in painfull fashion. I am really pulling Conte to stay a season or two more here but knowing Levy of his manipulative nature and the novel needs to save every penny lol things don't look good. The devil will be calling Poch early not necessarily for the club but probably for his bank account and for another rush on his ego pulling another high profile move in the football world.

Wow Levy with a genius move again doing another one up on everyone. Wow Levy what a business man

The faults of past managers do not erase the failures of recent ones.

We had some really quite cracking teams under Poch the 2018 squad with Kane an inform Dele and Eriksen, Vertonghen and Toby at the back.

You cannot tell me that Poch winning nothing in 5 years was an achievement or even acceptable.

We won’t be winning the title or CL for probably another 20-30 years, that is the closest we came by far under any of our managers. You want better than that, change the ownership or massively increase the investment to build a far stronger team. If you can’t see the difference between the football and ambition under Poch compared to say Sherwood or AVB then there is not much more to say.

We won’t be winning the title or CL for probably another 20-30 years, that is the closest we came by far under any of our managers. You want better than that, change the ownership or massively increase the investment to build a far stronger team. If you can’t see the difference between the football and ambition under Poch compared to say Sherwood or AVB then there is not much more to say.
It's possible to think that both the owners have underinvested in the club and that Poch has made multiple tactical disasters in his career.

There is no financial excuse for getting knocked out by Gent and there is little excuse when we won nothing with one of the best team sheets we've had in decades.

Again, using past managers such as AVB to excuse Pochettino's own daft decisions doesn't cut it.

It's possible to think that both the owners have underinvested in the club and that Poch has made multiple tactical disasters in his career.

There is no financial excuse for getting knocked out by Gent and there is little excuse when we won nothing with one of the best team sheets we've had in decades.

Again, using past managers such as AVB to excuse Pochettino's own daft decisions doesn't cut it.

And again then all our managers on that scale are failures, Poch, Redknapp, AVB, Jose, even Conte at this point. We are a club that has just managerial failures. If this is the attitude you are going to be a very disappointed Spurs fan for decades to come unless Musk buys us and pumps in cash.

If this is the attitude you are going to be a very disappointed Spurs fan for decades to come unless Musk buys us and pumps in cash.
Poch should have won something with some of the quality teams he had in five years.

If this wasn't an acceptable excuse for Redknapp or Jose failing to win anything, it's not for Poch either.

Poch should have won something with some of the quality teams he had in five years.

If this wasn't an acceptable excuse for Redknapp or Jose failing to win anything, it's not for Poch either.

Never said Redknapp was a failure. He was an excellent manager for us and despite the court case and England job stuff made us a joy to watch and had the Lane buzzing.

Never said Redknapp was a failure. He was an excellent manager for us and despite the court case and England job stuff made us a joy to watch and had the Lane buzzing.
I'm in full agreement, although I don't think his inability to win a cup should excuse Poch.

In fact, Poch had arguably the better team at times, so it's actually even worse for Mauricio.

I'm in full agreement, although I don't think his inability to win a cup should excuse Poch.

In fact, Poch had arguably the better team at times, so it's actually even worse for Mauricio.

Yes but the point is Poch actually built most of that team. Walker, Rose and even Dembele where a complete mess under Sherwood and AVB, Verts looks disinterested and most of the others the same, the transformation and development of players was huge and unlike anything prior. Redknapp was also good in his own way, he used Modric brilliantly and was flexible with his style.

Would I have loved a league or FA cup during the Redknapp and Poch era’s yes of course. But that’s not what I think of those era’s, for the first time in over a decade or two where we are great team, we got as far as being in the CL and playing the best teams in the world and sometimes beating them. We had never been there before and haven’t since.

More than any other manager in recent history for spurs did - Poch changed the game for us, and raised expectations at the club.

What were you expecting? For us to do a Man City or Chavski and win everything on sight on about a tenth of their budget?

If you didn't enjoy that ride under Poch, you ain't a spurs fan, you're a goof. Don't reply to me again unless its with a strong apology and an offer to lick my bum.
You are allowed to enjoy the ride and yet still be pissed off at the underwhelming destination that you reach though...

You are allowed to enjoy the ride and yet still be pissed off at the underwhelming destination that you reach though...

You can be pissed off with how it ended and still realise how good we had it with Poch (compared to pretty much everyone else whose managed us in modern times...).

I literally said in a previous post I was clearly disappointed with how it ended...

I stand by everything I said - end of discussion.

Back
Top Bottom