Heung-Min Son (손흥민)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Son Heung-min breaks Cha Bum-keun's Europe big league goal recordUpdated: 2022-05-02 17:04:57 KST​

Time now for "This Week in Sports" and joining us in the studio is our sports editor Paul Neat.
Paul, let's begin with football and the English Premier League.
Son Heung-min made YET MORE South Korean football history over the weekend after scoring two goals in a Tottenham win.
What can you tell us about that?

Yes, two goals and an assist for Son on Sunday in Tottenham’s 3-1 Premier League win over Leicester City.
With his brace, Son is now on 19 league goals for the season - a personal best.
And with that, Son has the record for the most goals by a South Korean player in a single season in a European league.
Cha Bum-kun had held the record with 17 goals from the 1985-1986 season while with Bayer Leverkusen in Germany.
In all competitions this season, Son has 20 goals in 41 appearances.
His career-high is 22 from 51 matches in the 2020-2021 season.
In terms of the current campiagn, Son is now two goals ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo and three behind Mohamed Salah to sit second in the Premier League goal-scoring charts.
At Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Sunday, Son set up Harry Kane's opening goal from a corner in the 22nd minute.
Then on the hour mark, Son doubled his side's lead… picking the ball up from Dejan Kulusevski near the penalty spot before turning and sending the ball home left-footed.
Son’s second goal came in the 79th minute… curling into the top corner from the edge of the box.
The win keeps Tottenham in the hunt for a place in next season’s Champions League.

In the AFC Champions League, two K League teams made it through to the knockouts.

Two out of the four K League clubs in Asian Champions League make it through.
Daegu FC are through after winning Group F and did so thanks to a 2-1 win over Lion City Sailors from Singapore in the final group stage match on Saturday.
Daegu are through to the round of 16 for only the second time in their history.
The other is Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors who finished as Group H runners up.
Jeonbuk actually remained unbeaten throughout with three wins and three draws.
Daegu will now play Jeonbuk in the round of 16 sometime in mid-August.
Ulsan Hyundai and Jeonnam Dragons both crash out.
Both finished third in their respective groups and to qualify for the knockouts, teams needed to finish second and be among the best-placed group runners up.
This is because the competition was expanded to 40 teams, 20 each in five groups in the East and West but only 8 from each zone advance.

Speaking of K League, the official match ball for the upcoming World Cup is going to be used starting this week.

Yes, that's right. Made by Adidas, "Al Rihla" as it is called which means "the journey" in Arabic, will be used in K League starting on Thursday.
It's the 14th successive ball that Adidas has made for the FIFA World Cup and is said to move faster in flight compared to any other.
It's also environmentally friendly in that it is the first World Cup ball to only used water-based inks and glues.
Six K League 1 matches will take place this Thursday as the league returns from the AFC Champions League break in time for Children's Day.

Now let's turn to golf, South Korea had the first KLPGA major over the weekend.
Who came out on top?

Kim A-lim, who earned a comeback-from-behind victory on Sunday to seal her first major KLPGA title.
At the " CreaS F&C The 44th KLPGA Championship" in Pocheon, Kim A-lim carded a 68 on the first day to sit tied for fifth place in what was the first KLPGA major of the season.
She then fell two steps behind at a tied seventh position on the second day, carding a 69.
She held her form into the third round, carding a 68 to step up to a tied fourth position.
Then her two-under-par 70 on Sunday put her on top with an overall score of 12-under-par, 276, three strokes over Lee Ga-young.
Although Kim A-lim spends most of her time on the LPGA Tour, this is her third career KLPGA title.
The KLPGA Tour continues on Thursday with the 8th Kyochon Honey Ladies Open.

And in baseball, starting with MLB. A 116-year-old record has been equalled by Kevin Gausman.

Yes, Kevin Gausman of the Toronto Blue Jays, in 32 innings and two thirds, is yet to allow a single walk or home run.
Only one other starter has done that in the World Series era since 1903 and that's Cy Young.
The latest came in the Blue Jays' 3-2 win over the Houston Astros on Sunday local time.
Meanwhile, in Korea's domestic league, the KBO, ahead of Children's Day this Thursday, the league is holding a special promotion.
10 players, one from each of the 10 KBO teams, will wear special jerseys with the names of child fans on them.
Multicultural families were able to apply and 10 winners were chosen.
Children's Day usually helps draw huge crowds to KBO stadiums, this year is expected to be no different.

Lots to look forward to then. Alright, thanks for that, Paul. See you next week.
Thanks.
Reporter : [email protected]

Let me start by saying that was an amazing shot that only very few players (and maybe none) can hit as reliably as Son.

But I really have to question wtf Schmeichel was doing on that shot. He has to know Son can curl a shot from there with his weak foot and it's not like Son disguises the shot... he clearly takes a prep touch and you can tell he's going to curl it as the defender has the near post blocked. Schmeichel doesn't change his angle at all even though the far post is the only thing Son can possibly shoot at.

That is a fantastic strike, but a great shot stopper like De Gea will probably save that more often than not. It's too far out and the defender takes away a third of the goal, making the shot predictable. Just thought Schmeichel was weird to not expect a far post curler from a player like Son and it was almost like he forgot Son has the best "weak" foot in the world. Most keepers will drop their line by about a foot or so (depending on their initial position) if they see a curler is coming so they aren't beat by the height and it gives them more time to get across, Schmeichel is just kind of in no mans land.

Last edited:
Everyone here knows I'm critical of Son's lack of various skills, but he's putting everything he has out there.

He's the player who committed to the club at its lowest point in recent times. It's paying off for him on the pitch too. Unlike a certain someone who whined all summer, and now struggling to find his mojo.

Our high valuation and national service I imagine

Only a couple of years ago national service went away and by that point he was a bit old for the fee we would demand
True. I think a lot of teams know they have to pay a high amount/over the odds when it comes to levy!
Sometimes it for the good, sometimes for the bad.

Let me start by saying that was an amazing shot that only very few players (and maybe none) can hit as reliably as Son.

But I really have to question wtf Schmeichel was doing on that shot. He has to know Son can curl a shot from there with his weak foot and it's not like Son disguises the shot... he clearly takes a prep touch and you can tell he's going to curl it as the defender has the near post blocked. Schmeichel doesn't change his angle at all even though the far post is the only thing Son can possibly shoot at.

That is a fantastic strike, but a great shot stopper like De Gea will probably save that more often than not. It's too far out and the defender takes away a third of the goal, making the shot predictable. Just thought Schmeichel was weird to not expect a far post curler from a player like Son and it was almost like he forgot Son has the best "weak" foot in the world. Most keepers will drop their line by about a foot or so (depending on their initial position) if they see a curler is coming so they aren't beat by the height and it gives them more time to get across, Schmeichel is just kind of in no mans land.
:kanehand:

I'm not one for twitter, I just rely on my friends to trawl and pick out the best bits.
I get annoyed with some of the remarks though, so don't read further than the original tweet, there's some really nasty, sick people out there.

I'm not one for twitter, I just rely on my friends to trawl and pick out the best bits.
I get annoyed with some of the remarks though, so don't read further than the original tweet, there's some really nasty, sick people out there.

Twitter can attract the dregs of humanity.

Not paying attention to the comments as someone with a high profile is a skill in itself. (Not a problem I have personally btw).

Just words….. but Jesus Christ some people.

Why Son Heung-min is the most under-rated striker on the planet​

Son must rank as Tottenham’s best signing of the last seven years, with Daniel Levy's hands-on approach to deal paying dividends

ByMatt Law, FOOTBALL NEWS CORRESPONDENT6 May 2022 • 12:01pm

Back
Top Bottom