Giovani Lo Celso

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why do you think we signed Modric when we did. Every club knew about him Man Utd, Woolwich and Chelsea all knew about him and were scouting him but worried about his suitability to the premier league. Levy moved quickly to sign him because he knows we have to take risks when signing players others do not have to take that risk, the problem with the risks is if they do not work they become catastrophes like Ndombele.

This is no endorsement of Levy and the way he runs the club because there are ways to reduce the risks.

Thats not how I remember it. Only us and newcastle were in for him and we pushed the button on him after he demolished England at wembley. I can’t remember the teams you mention being in for him.

Size is a red-herring when talking about physicality.....

Ndombele is a total powder-puff, but he's not a small guy.

Size is a red-herring when talking about physicality.....

Ndombele is a total powder-puff, but he's not a small guy.

It's far more mental than physical. Can the player handle playing at a high tempo, is he durable enough to take the knocks and get up. Bernardo Silva makes most PL midfielders look like a joke. Players who are technically gifted, slightly built and prepared to work hard are some of the most dangerous midfield players around. You can't get near them.

Gio is weak physically, he is 26 too late for the gym, hopeless in the premier league so is Regulion.

A number of those players I mentioned (plus more) can also be described as weak physically, also let's not pretend that players can't baulk up if they need to lol

I think though in that respect you might be right, Gio's game being a ball carrier and dribbler has a higher chance of being outmuscled on the ball than if he was looking to be a playmaker (distributor) .

Thats not how I remember it. Only us and newcastle were in for him and we pushed the button on him after he demolished England at wembley. I can’t remember the teams you mention being in for him.
They were scouting him and Spurs knew this. I know people who worked in the Spurs office at the time. I also know Pleat even though he did not work for the club told Levy he should not sign him.

For once I think Levy listened to the person with football knowledge. The problem with Levy is usually listens to the last person who he spoke to and a few times it worked. He built a whole transfer policy on it when we signed Routledge, Huddlestone, Lennon and Davenport and that is because we got Carrick and sold him on for a higher price.

A number of those players I mentioned (plus more) can also be described as weak physically, also let's not pretend that players can't baulk up if they need to lol

I think though in that respect you might be right, Gio's game being a ball carrier and dribbler has a higher chance of being outmuscled on the ball than if he was looking to be a playmaker (distributor) .

There is a massive difference between the physicality of Modric and Lo Celso. Modric played almost every game in the PL for 3 straight seasons, he was never injured, he almost always completed 90 minutes. He was effective with and without the ball, against every type of opponent. People tried to kick him and it didn’t work. Eriksen was the same, he was never injured and never subbed off for almost 7 years.

Gio can’t even handle regular training sessions at this level without breaking down. He just doesn’t have the physique for the PL.

Last edited:
He could score 200 or assist 400. I do not care

hey arnold nick splat GIF

Still don't get the hype from some with this guy. Runs around a lot but does little with the ball. No better or worse than what we already have really. Massive dissapointment considering the money paid and the reputation he came with.

Unfortunately GLC lost last night so all those lovely Euros won't be going to Villareal..

Gold:
Lo Celso grabbed an assist as Villarreal returned to La Liga action at Deportivo on Saturday, coming off the bench at half-time and setting up Samuel Chukwueze within two minutes. It would not prove enough though as the hosts' two first-half goals took them to all three points.

The defeat followed on from Lo Celso's 90 minutes as Villarreal slipped to a 2-0 defeat at Liverpool on Wednesday night in their Champions League semi-final first leg.

Lo Celso has made 18 appearances for Emery's team since his deadline day switch from Tottenham.

Last edited:
I know I'm in the minority and it'll likely never happen under Conte but I'd like to see him given another chance in the team next season.

Yeah. Definitely in the minority.

He was so damn mediocre both games vs Liverpool. Exactly the same player we bought, bit more fire/tenacity but it's a CL semi final so that's easy. Lacked quality on the ball, he's a decent midfielder for a team like Villareal with the likes of Capoue/Coquelin, but he isn't the level we want to aspire to.

Yeah. Definitely in the minority.

He was so damn mediocre both games vs Liverpool. Exactly the same player we bought, bit more fire/tenacity but it's a CL semi final so that's easy. Lacked quality on the ball, he's a decent midfielder for a team like Villareal with the likes of Capoue/Coquelin, but he isn't the level we want to aspire to.
Yeah, he was absolutely fantastic against Bayern in the first leg, but has otherwise only flattered to deceive. I thought maybe he could be a useful player for us... but I've changed my mind.

A lot of nearly, a lot of hustle but ultimately lacks the touch, vision, finishing etc. to be the elite player we need.

We'll never get a better price than this summer either.

Times up for me, he had his chance. Seems to play consistently for Villarreal where for us was always some sort of issue. Can't be assed with any of our senior loan outs. They got sent out on loan for a reason at the end of the day

Times up for me, he had his chance. Seems to play consistently for Villarreal where for us was always some sort of issue. Can't be assed with any of our senior loan outs. They got sent out on loan for a reason at the end of the day

The word malingerer springs to mind with him. Used to see it in the army all the time especially after a mortar strike. However the only bombs dropping around him were Gollini's latest rap beats.

Back
Top Bottom