Come here to laugh at West Spam

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

UEFA themselves make no differentiation when it comes to titles/progress.

Screenshot-2022-05-06-111007.jpg
Yup. When they did the group stage draw for both competitions back in August/September they outright said that we were the first ever winners of the Europa League, since the lineage is the same.

The format of the competition is different from the competition we won, and like Tomo said, in those days you played the teams second and third on their leagues - so it was a harder cup to win.
So was the first division, as there were 22 teams in it.
My point was that they have done better than we have managed in THAT competition, even when we were parachuted into it from the CL.

On this board, people routinely slag off pokey fans for being obsessed with us, and then promptly copy the shite they come out with.

Strange behaviour,
I see your point, and I think that for us the issue is that the club and the fanbase has somehow decided that these competitions are beneath us. It started when Poch was here. The league and the CL, or getting into it, was all that mattered. And that's despite a few deep cup runs. Instead it was just seen as "ego stroking".

Look at how happy the Frankfurt, Rangers and Roma fans were last night to make their respective finals. These may not be the biggest competitions anymore, but I would love to win a few.

If we had a Europa League or a cup or two from the Poch years, Kane may not have pushed as hard to leave as he did last summer, and Poch would probably have been given more time to handle the painful rebuild.

But the counter argument will always be that going deep in those competitions means risking the league form. So you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

The format of the competition is different from the competition we won, and like Tomo said, in those days you played the teams second and third on their leagues - so it was a harder cup to win.
So was the first division, as there were 22 teams in it.
My point was that they have done better than we have managed in THAT competition, even when we were parachuted into it from the CL.

On this board, people routinely slag off pokey fans for being obsessed with us, and then promptly copy the shite they come out with.

Strange behaviour,
The format of the league is also different. We won it when it was 2 points for a win.
Does that mean we can’t claim we won it?

I see your point, and I think that for us the issue is that the club and the fanbase has somehow decided that these competitions are beneath us. It started when Poch was here. The league and the CL, or getting into it, was all that mattered. And that's despite a few deep cup runs. Instead it was just seen as "ego stroking".

Look at how happy the Frankfurt, Rangers and Roma fans were last night to make their respective finals. These may not be the biggest competitions anymore, but I would love to win a few.

If we had a Europa League or a cup or two from the Poch years, Kane may not have pushed as hard to leave as he did last summer, and Poch would probably have been given more time to handle the painful rebuild.

But the counter argument will always be that going deep in those competitions means risking the league form. So you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Did the prize of getting into the champions League by winning the Europa only start after we were regularly qualifying for the champions League? I feel like we focused on trying to get top 4 rather than win the Europa because it didn't qualify you back then. I might be wrong though 🤔

English clubs always get a rough time by refs in Europe, that's all part of the learning process when you constantly play these competitions, you start to learn ways of deceiving the ref and not falling for the opponents’ tricks, we had to learn and cope with it and sorry West Ham so will you, it comes with the European experience and knowing how to play the refs to your advantage.

Did the prize of getting into the champions League by winning the Europa only start after we were regularly qualifying for the champions League? I feel like we focused on trying to get top 4 rather than win the Europa because it didn't qualify you back then. I might be wrong though 🤔
you're not far off. The winner of the EL getting an automatic CL spot started with the 2014-15 season according to Google.

Devil's advocate....
We are laughing at them - but they just got further in a competition than we ever did, in the same event.
Glad they're out, but we are just providing Kumb with fuel.

Some european competition change their name/format over time.

But very few teams have won many.

Better to list all the ones clubs have won - which means Spurs are probably amongst the top dozen European clubs .... Wham's 'haul' of one european trophy puts them way down the list

Whilst I totally agree to the reduction of corporate giveaways at the expense of fans, who's to say just because someone is sitting down that they are corporate tickets? Not everyone feels the need to call everyone a cunt and make wanker hand signals at everyone, doesn't make them corporate.

Back
Top Bottom