The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You have to wonder at times and as a club, just how the cards are dealt.

A worldie season by Leicester. A ridiculous level from Chelsea and in between all that, City and the arrival of Klopp.

And now this season, Woolwich with their backs pressed against the wall produce 3 results from nowhere, just at a time when it seemed nearly impossible.

We are still in there but it does grate and leave a little just how often we encounter the inconceivable.
Theres a huge amount of luck involved with winning trophies.

But as the the saying goes, the more you practice, the luckier you get.

Only match that matters now is Thursday’s NLD which now is a must win! (Will keep a cursory eye on Leeds v Chelsea but with zero expectation I’m not going to expend any hope or energy on it). COYS

I think we are going to beat Woolwich with ease Thursday, then we will have to much for Burnley which puts us in 4th place before Woolwich go to Newcastle away. Woolwich are dropping points 100%. If it’s Newcastle or Everton who knows, but they are dropping points against us and in the last 2. We will get 4th, have some faith.

Since January, Newcastle are W6D1L1 at home. The only loss was 0-1 to Liverpool. There's every chance Woolwich will drop points, but we need to take care of business on Thursday first.

I tend to agree.

The fact that it's Woolwich we're competing with for the 4th spot makes it that all bit more frustrating but had it been any other team in 4th currently there wouldn't be so much pressure.

There wasn't a chance at the beginning of the season I thought we'd finish in the top 4 with everything that was going on and we still are in with a shout. I think the fact we have secured 5th is a massive achievement. The Europa League isn't a bad competition to qualify for now there is the Conference league either.

Overall I think we've shown so much improvement under Conte, the club is in a much better place than it was prior to his appointment. We're a club on the up with a coach who I don't believe will leave no matter where we finish this season. Not a chance he took on this job for 7 months.

I think we are going to beat Woolwich with ease Thursday, then we will have to much for Burnley which puts us in 4th place before Woolwich go to Newcastle away. Woolwich are dropping points 100%. If it’s Newcastle or Everton who knows, but they are dropping points against us and in the last 2. We will get 4th, have some faith.
I think Thursday will be a draw and we miss out on CL

I don’t personally hate him but he is such a mediocre manager, had we got Conte early we would be third right now. The way the players started to give up towards the end I really would not have been surprised if we had gotten 10th if Nuno stuck around.
Yeah. I don’t know the bloke personally. But has a manager he is fucking terrible.

fuck me imagine seeing xhaka nketiah and elneny in the cl over son kane and deki

makes me sick
I fucking hate them. And I hate Chelsea even more now for rolling over and not even giving them a game after years of doing their best to destroy us. What a bunch of loser cuntbags- can't even get it up for a London derby.

I personally like the Europa League and  always want to see Spurs play in Europe. Hell I would have loved to see us go deep in the ECL tournament. That we didn't is a total embarrassment. Maybe the format with CL teams dropping down into it is a bit distasteful to some, but the later stages of the tournament offer good quality and legitimate opportunities for glory. If we miss out on CL I hope we take it seriously next year anyways- we aren't going where we all want as a club unless we are consistently competing in any and all such competitions.

Europa League is a fine competition if only we could get our players to give a shit about it. It’s another route to CL qualification which is useful when the top 4 is so competitive.

There’s just something about playing on Thursdays, especially away from home, that makes our players not care.

How much of a disaster would 5th be?

Would we still keep conte/Kane Etc? Could we still attract the kind of quality players that could push us on next season?
It’s nowhere near a disaster. It’s a very good achievement after a pretty horrible and inconsistent season.

The club will keep who they want to keep. Money will talk.

And even when we were in the Champions League ( and the final ) our recruitment was absolutely shit, so that seems to make no difference.

Scout well + good tactics = success, not being 3rd in the group stages of a cup we cannot likely win at the moment regardless.

Consider this, Did we get Kulusevski and Bentancer because they thought we might overturn our disqualification from the Conference league ? & at the time we were never looking close to top 4 either.

We are Tottenham Hotspur. We will be just fine. Never forget Woolwich cheated this season and that’s why the game is on this Thursday. They bent the rules so badly even their FA fan club immediately changed the rules. If they get 4th / 3rd they will always have to live with running away from games to do so.

Back
Top Bottom