Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dont think anyone is suggesting to sell those 2 but we cant get all misty eyed whether we finish 4th or 5th. This squad needs a lot of change and improvement. Gollini, Emerson, Rodon, Sanchez, Requillon, Winks, Moura, Bergwijn plus maybe even one or two other can be upgraded. Thinking we've cracked it would be back to 2016, 17, 18 and this team isnt a patch on those years.

So 10 out / 10 in?

Not happening; nor should it.

My response was to someone saying we should be “ utterly ruthless”

I00% we should look to upgrade our wingbacks and we could do with my creativity centrally.

However, we need bench players snd Stevie , Lucas, Davidson have all performed well when called upon?
We should be. If we can upgrade players we should. Sell all of those that have been hanging around too long. Sell those that really aren't good enough, even if they played during the run in and get us Champions League (eg Emerson). And like I said, the likes of Davies and Hojbjerg have done pretty well under Conte, but if we can upgrade them and just keep them as squad players, we should do that too.

To be honest, outside of our very best players, nobody should feel safe. We have a manager that can transform the club if he is backed. So yeah, utterly ruthless is the way to go, especially given the other teams challenging for fourth won't always be as shit as they have been this year, and who knows what Newcastle will do in the next few transfer windows.

My response was to someone saying we should be “ utterly ruthless”

I00% we should look to upgrade our wingbacks and we could do with my creativity centrally.

However, we need bench players snd Stevie , Lucas, Davidson have all performed well when called upon?

No they haven't.

They are a big reason we struggled in Cup games, why we have little threat when Kane and Son aren't on and why we have to overplay our key players.

Also, we are currently struggling to finish 4th in a weak PL is that really what our goals are?

No they haven't.

They are a big reason we struggled in Cup games, why we have little threat when Kane and Son aren't on and why we have to overplay our key players.

Also, we are currently struggling to finish 4th in a weak PL is that really what our goals are?
Every time you post, you humiliate yourself just that little bit more.

A weak PL?

You’ve never watched a pl game in your life.

No they haven't.

Exactly. We have a manager that wants to challenge for the title and is very demanding. He'll also have decent European football to deal with. 3 or 4 in and same out i really dont see cutting it. Short memories, our squad was on show in the conference and against Morecombe.

Not saying it will happen and likely wont but i'd be looking to move on as many of those as we can. Of those i wouldnt mind keeping Rodon and Bergwijn but they dont play and cant be happy about that. Doesnt mean we need 10 in. 7 maybe.
We won’t get close to that.
The only teams that will are promoted/relegated teams and that turnover doesn’t generally work out well.
Also, I don’t know where fans get the idea that you can just flog your deadwood. If we did, we would literally be the only top tier club on the planet that did. As evidence I offer Phil Jones, Danny Drinkwater and Hector Bellerin to name but three.

The only teams that will are promoted/relegated teams and that turnover doesn’t generally work out well.
Also, I don’t know where fans get the idea that you can just flog your deadwood. If we did, we would literally be the only top tier club on the planet that did. As evidence I offer Phil Jones, Danny Drinkwater and Hector Bellerin to name but three.
As i said i dont expect it, just thats where we should be looking to upgrade. It would be a mistake because of a decent end to the season that we start to think, actually Emerson, Sanchez, Moura etc are pretty good. Our manager has high expectations so we need to do as best as we can because keeping him happy would be the best thing to happen this summer.

Hear the same every year..... "X is dogshit and can barely play football" and then it's just assumed that there's a big pool of clubs that spend 5m, 10m, 15m (+ EPL top-6 level wages!) on players they deem not even worthy of a relegation club.

#ZeroAwareness

Hear the same every year..... "X is dogshit and can barely play football" and then it's just assumed that there's a big pool of clubs that spend 5m, 10m, 15m (+ EPL top-6 level wages!) on players they deem not even worthy of a relegation club.

#ZeroAwareness
Worked with Alli and Sissoko, somehow.

Around 5m for Sissoko, we'll get 10m for Alli once he gets 20 appearances for them, though even if he doesn't getting his wages off the book is good enough for me at this stage.

Sissoko: 3m IF all clauses are met (and I wouldn't bet on that considering they've just been relegated).
Dele: As stands, we got zilch and I wouldn't hold your breath on that changing.

Regardless, the reality of poster histories bears out my post as true.

If Sess avoids an injury and keeps up this form, I don't think we even need a LWB.
LWB is not urgent unless we find a buyer for Reg (though I can't see someone paying 35+ for him).

But ideally we need upgrades at in both fullbacks.

A starting RWB with Doc/Emerson as back up is essential. Doc's age will probably work against him here but I'm pretty indifferent between the two in a back up role.

I'm leaning more towards Sess as the back up LWB than Reg.

Either way we need to have two players at wing back that we can rely on to create chances and convert a decent handful of goals across the season.

Despite his improvement recently I'm not ready to say Sess is that guy.

Ignoring the various permutations around players to be loaned, I think the following is a realistic view on the key incomings and the outgoings that will fund them:

Out:
- Gio (25m)
- Winks (10m)
- CCV (10m)
- Bergjwin (25m)
- Rodon (15m)

Total 85m

In addition one of Doherty/Emerson will go.

In:
- Eriksen (Free)
- Sam Johnstone (Free)
- Pau Torres (50m)
- Unidentified RWB (30-40m)
- Unidentified attacker (70m)
- Unidentified CM (Free or cheap)

Net spend: 70m.

Key points:
- I don't think we address LWB this summer. Another year of Sess and Reg
- Could see Gio, Gil, Emerson and/or Ndombele being used in swap deals
- Think we go big at CB, RWB and try to bring a big name attacker in

Ignoring the various permutations around players to be loaned, I think the following is a realistic view on the key incomings and the outgoings that will fund them:

Out:
- Gio (25m)
- Winks (10m)
- CCV (10m)
- Bergjwin (25m)
- Rodon (15m)

Total 85m

In addition one of Doherty/Emerson will go.

In:
- Eriksen (Free)
- Sam Johnstone (Free)
- Pau Torres (50m)
- Unidentified RWB (30-40m)
- Unidentified attacker (70m)
- Unidentified CM (Free or cheap)

Net spend: 70m.

Key points:
- I don't think we address LWB this summer. Another year of Sess and Reg
- Could see Gio, Gil, Emerson and/or Ndombele being used in swap deals
- Think we go big at CB, RWB and try to bring a big name attacker in
Doesn't seem like that's enough to get us reliably challenging for trophies.

We need top quality CMs, not just free/cheap ones.

Back
Top Bottom