The Race for 4th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If they beat Palace midweek they are safe , relying on Viera again

a good result against Palace is all he needs , one win is enough. More chance the Toon help us I think personally
Given how they slipped up against Brentford, I'd expect Palace to hold them to a draw leaving the final day wide open. 100% convinced that Everton will beat the Woolwich kids if the gunbarrel is firmly placed on Everton's forehead, they've shown it already.

I wish I hadn't, but I looked up Newcastle Vs Woolwich stats.

We're going to need a miracle for Newcastle to get anything out of tonight.

In the last 20 games between them......... Woolwich have won 18!!! 1 draw and just 1 win for the barcodes.

That has to be one of the worst records in the Premier league between 2 sides. Even our record against Liverpool is better than that.

1 win and 1 draw for Newcastle in the last 20 games against Woolwich!!!

I didn't realise it was that bad.

:pochcry:

In the last 20 games between them......... Woolwich have won 18!!! 1 draw and just 1 win for the barcodes.

That has to be one of the worst records in the Premier league between 2 sides. Even our record against Liverpool is better than that.

Ahh, the life of a yiddo.

Records are meant to, and will be broken.

So Newcastles home form this season is won 7, drawn 6 lost 5 with a PPG of 1.50. And their last 5 home games read WWWWL.

Arsenals away form this season is won 9, drawn 1, lost 8 with a PPG of 1.56. With their last 5 away games being LLWWL.

Factor in the pressure on Woolwich, their injuries and it being Newcastles last home game of the season under a better manager in Howe.

Newcastle have not lost more times than they have.

My money says Newcastle dont lose tonight.

Historical stats meh, our record at Anfield is crap yet we managed a draw last week up there for example...

That draw though...

hopefully toon dish out some rough house treatment and be really hard that will put frightens on the young goons. If they over come that and hostile atmosphere which I’m sure Lego man will have prepared them for them fair play. I think Everton are safe. Leeds look done under Jodie marsh.

Think Woolwich will win sadly. Newcastle had a decent run beating some of the premier league chaff but they just arent very good and despite all the hype have bugger all to play for.
Not v good? Their form since Jan window is getting CL in 4th spot or thereabouts. 71-72 pts.

Last home match of the season...evening kick off.....full house....lots of love and appreciation from the fans to escape so well from nailed on relegation - I think all of that trumps "nothing to play for". Barcodes will be well up for this.

I’d love to be brimming with optimism, but all the talk of how Newcastle should get a result against Woolwich reminds me of how Chelski were definitely going to beat them, they’d get nothing out of Man United etc.

I suspect they’ll do enough to get over the line. But I’m as accurate or otherwise at the prediction malarkey as the next man…

Not v good? Their form since Jan window is getting CL in 4th spot or thereabouts. 71-72 pts.

Last home match of the season...evening kick off.....full house....lots of love and appreciation from the fans to escape so well from nailed on relegation - I think all of that trumps "nothing to play for". Barcodes will be well up for this.
It’s not just about Newcastle either, Woolwich will be nervy and that may be a big factor. Plus I just feel like Woolwich will get bad luck because when you own bad luck like Artetta did in his interview instead of admitting they were shit, players start to believe the story, that ref is against them etc.

I think the Arse will stumble over the line and manage 4th but I'm just holding onto the fact that over the whole season they've been just as sloppy as us at times, that's why it's so close right now. If they were the sort of team who won every time they were expected to they'd have wrapped up 4th or even 3rd weeks ago.

If they were that good we wouldn't have slapped them about so easily that we were doing "oles" in the stadium after 60 minutes and even took Son off early.

I'm also hoping that the pressure gets to them. Their players were definitely letting it get to them during the NLD and Legohead definitely sounds like a man feeling the pressure but not knowing how to deal with it.

They're expected to win, the pressure is on them to win because they have to, and Newcastle fans aren't going to make it a welcoming atmosphere. Woolwich players look like they don't know how to handle such occasions, also Newcastle have excellent home form since Howe took over.

I think probably Woolwich will win, but there are reasons we can have a little hope. Just a little.

Slightly dated, published 23rd April but…

– Only Liverpool, Manchester City, Tottenham and Woolwich have taken more points than the Magpies since Howe’s first match back in November.

– Since the turn of the year, only Liverpool have taken more points than Newcastle.

– Newcastle are averaging 2.13 points per game in 2022. Extrapolated over a full Premier League season, that’s enough to see them qualify for the Champions League and finish on average 3rd place (in recent years). Manchester United’s treble-winners of 1998-99 averaged 2.07 points per game.

– No side in Premier League history has stayed up after failing to win their opening 14 matches. Not only is survival all but confirmed, but Newcastle currently sit 9th and look well-placed for a top-half finish.

– Howe’s men need just three points from their final four matches to reach their highest points tally since returning to the Premier League in 2017. That’s despite having just 11 points and one win before the turn of the year.

– Seven or more points taken from their last four matches and Newcastle would enjoy their best Premier League points total since the 2011-12 campaign, when they narrowly missed out on a top-four finish.

– 10 of Newcastle’s 11 Premier League wins this season have come in their last 14 matches.

– Newcastle have taken 25 points from 11 Premier League games at St. James’ Park with Howe in the dugout. In that time, only Liverpool, Man City, PSG, Real Madrid and Fiorentina have taken more points at home in Europe’s top five leagues.

– Bruno Guimaraes has three goals and an assist from his last four Premier League appearances. His WhoScored rating over that period averages 8.28. This season, the top-rated Mohamed Salah has an average rating of 7.71.

– Newcastle’s aggregate scoreline in the Premier League in 2022: 21-13.

– From 15 league outings since the turn of the calendar year, Newcastle have kept six clean sheets and only conceded more than one goal on one occasion.

I’d love to be brimming with optimism, but all the talk of how Newcastle should get a result against Woolwich reminds me of how Chelski were definitely going to beat them, they’d get nothing out of Man United etc.

I suspect they’ll do enough to get over the line. But I’m as accurate or otherwise at the prediction malarkey as the next man…

If Scum win 6 out of their last 7 games, then fair enough really.

Back
Top Bottom