Emerson Royal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sess set up 3 big chances today. Royal set up none.
Emerson however have shown more of a tendency to pop up in the box and attempt goal scoring opportunities than what Ryan does. Not to mention being a good defender.

Neither guy are perfect but both also get a fair bit of unfair criticism.

He definitely needs to be on the bench if not rotated with the new LWB, he offers defensive stability while the new LWB can be an attacking one.

Doherty sale possibly back to Wolves as a part of a deal for Neves maye ?

Come on he is still an absolute liability attacking wise I’m sorry. He’s been good enough defensively to close out the season but he is still the number one player out this summer for me

He definitely needs to be on the bench if not rotated with the new LWB, he offers defensive stability while the new LWB can be an attacking one.

Doherty sale possibly back to Wolves as a part of a deal for Neves maye ?
Doherty was really good before his injury so I am interested in seeing how he comes back from it.

If Doherty comes back fully fit I think that we should loan Emerson out next season and get another RWB in.

Emerson is clearly a good fullback. So having him on loan for a season to see how the Conte saga goes or not could be smart. If Conte leaves after next season when his contract expires we may end up getting a manager that wants more traditional fullbacks. And Emerson could be brought back into the fold.

Doherty was really good before his injury so I am interested in seeing how he comes back from it.

If Doherty comes back fully fit I think that we should loan Emerson out next season and get another RWB in.

Emerson is clearly a good fullback. So having him on loan for a season to see how the Conte saga goes or not could be smart. If Conte leaves after next season when his contract expires we may end up getting a manager that wants more traditional fullbacks. And Emerson could be brought back into the fold.

Yeah let's just loan out a 30m asset rather than cash in just in case we get a manager who wants a right back who can't cross in 2022.

Sell Royal, he's nowhere near good enough and if he gets in good attacking positions is just cause the teams now he's shite and wont't produce shit all once he's there. Everyone know that our most dangerous attacking area is the left, the teams are just forcing us play from the right cause nothing will happen with Royal there and once Moura is playeing with him is even worse.

His new position as a sort of inverted wingback seems to suit his strengths more. He's not as congested as he is out on the touchline, and contributes more in attack this way.

And I think that even his harshest of critics can compliment him on his defending.
It's causing oppo some major issues. Kulu stays wide, with Emmerson coming in off the wing into midfield, oppo LB/LWB then has a large amount of space to cover/mark between the two.

I actually thought he did well defensively today.

Much like Davies at LB he does ok, not good not great, defensively when he has very little area to cover/responsibility.

The issue is this causes other players to have to compensate and the opposition given free space that a competent defender would contest.

Combined with his zero impact in attack it just shows how much he limits us and makes others do his job as well as theirs.

It's causing oppo some major issues. Kulu stays wide, with Emmerson coming in off the wing into midfield, oppo LB/LWB then has a large amount of space to cover/mark between the two.
And Dejan loves that space to cut into and fire shots/ping balls in from. He scored a lot from that area in Italy.

This can't defend rhetoric has to be agenda driven, surely? I watched the game yesterday thinking it's a shame he offers nothing going forward because he looks decent defensively. IMO he's been very solid defensively for the last 4-5 games at least.

Last edited:
This can't defend rhetoric has to be agenda driven, surely? I watched the game today thinking it's a shame he offers nothing going forward because he looks decent defensively. IMO he's been very solid defensively for the last 4-5 games at least.
He’s solid defensively but I wouldn’t say great. He’s aggressive so he wins the ball a bit but also gets beat quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom