Norwich (A) - Final game of the season - 22/05 - 4pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That wouldn't sit well with me, as assists is a different discipline to scoring goals.

(Genuinely not trying to twist things to benefit Sonny's here, btw.)
Thats how world cup golden boots are decided though, if multiple players are on the same goals. All things considered, it seems fair and most importantly doesnt affect anything.

It's simple to me....

In instances of a draw, the award should go to whoever has the most goals non-Pen goals.

2 winners is crap.
Sonny will be quite happy knowing that he's sharing The Golden Boot with someone who had to include penalties to equal him. He'll know he's the moral victor.
I'm just thankful that Salah didn't pip him by one goal. That WOULD have rankled a bit.

As rules for a tie breaker could be set in different ways like which one had the most assists, then Son would have lost out. Taking that into consideration its all been fair and Im happy for Sonny.
The award is about scoring goals, not providing assists, which has its own award.

There is merit to scoring penalties but it is common sense that

1) the penalty scorer often has no involvement with the actual penalty
2) penalties are practically free goals with an xG of around .75-.80 for the top players
3) There is little variation in the success of different penalty takers. Even poor takers who only score 60% of pens will get 3 free goals for every 5 pens. So being good at pens doesn’t even matter if you are the taker… you’ll get free goals, it’s just a matter of one or two extra.

Non pen goals as a tiebreaker makes way more sense.

Can you imagine if son had taken 7 penalties and Salah 0? If son scored 5 he’s still at 28 goals and salah is at 16. Not even close!

Non pen goals as a tiebreaker makes way more sense
I'm not sure that's true. Is a simple tap in a yard from goal into an open net worth more in this context than the ice-cold-blood-in-your-veins needed to score (for example) a penalty in the dying minutes in a high-pressure match?

Kane and Salah's cold-bloodedness from the spot is astonishing, as was Benzema's panenka vs the Chavs.

I think the sharing it solution is actually the fairest. It doesn't mean any less for all concerned and everyone is 90% happy.

After all, at the end of the day it's an honorary award, I don't think there has to be one absolute winner and one loser

The award is about scoring goals, not providing assists, which has its own award.

There is merit to scoring penalties but it is common sense that

1) the penalty scorer often has no involvement with the actual penalty

All these years people here have advocated how penalties are a big deal when Kane scored them to get his world cup golden boot (when most of his goals were penalties for that) and now we cant just say penalties mean nothing.

An extra golden boot doesnt affect anyone in any way so a joint award isnt anything to be upset about. Everyones happy. We should just be happy that Son got one too.

I'm not sure that's true. Is a simple tap in a yard from goal into an open net worth more in this context than the ice-cold-blood-in-your-veins needed to score (for example) a penalty in the dying minutes in a high-pressure match?

Kane and Salah's cold-bloodedness from the spot is astonishing, as was Benzema's panenka vs the Chavs.

I think the sharing it solution is actually the fairest. It doesn't mean any less for all concerned and everyone is 90% happy.

After all, at the end of the day it's an honorary award, I don't think there has to be one absolute winner and one loser
Sharing it is fine. I was just saying non pen is better than assists as a tiebreak in my opinion.

A 1 yard tap in is more of a goal than a pen to me. At least It’s about being in the right position. Pens are gifts and even poor takers make most of them. Taking penalties is just about being chosen.

The teams with the most effective penalty box divers (Chelsea & Liverpool) scored the most penalties this season. So I suppose Salah's Golden Boot is thanks, in part, to his side diving the most and he should be rewarded for that.

(Edit: I just made most of that up. No idea if it's true, but nor does anyone else, so hey ho)

Is a simple tap in a yard from goal into an open net worth more in this context than the ice-cold-blood-in-your-veins needed to score (for example) a penalty in the dying minutes in a high-pressure match?
The difference between a 1 yard tap in and a penalty is that over the course of the season, on aggregate, forwards and/or strikers that score a lot of goals all get their fair share of tap-in chances. So it more or less evens out by the end of the season.

Penalties on the other hand is determined by manager selection. There is one de facto penalty taker that gets all the opportunities.

And it's absolutely stupid to think that a player like Son wouldn't score at least 60-70% of his opportunities.

Not with Ben Big Bollocks at the back
tottenham hotspur GIF
I love how almost two weeks after the game, in which we didn't concede 6 by the way, some sad sack this morning has bothered to "disagree" with this.

Get a life, sad sack. Worship the Ben.

Back
Top Bottom