Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think this is a right call. It doesn't seem like there's a superstar wingback available this summer. So we get a talented youngster to backup one senior who's shown to do well in a wb role (Doherty), and possibly two since Emerson showed he can do fine as a stop gap. Djed can improve and hopefully be top quality level in a year or two when Doherty is on his last legs.

Combined with veteran wingback experience with peresic, this is still a good summer outcome for wingbacks if it happens. B+.

I think this is a right call. It doesn't seem like there's a superstar wingback available this summer. So we get a talented youngster to backup one senior who's shown to do well in a wb role (Doherty), and possibly two since Emerson showed he can do fine as a stop gap. Djed can improve and hopefully be top quality level in a year or two when Doherty is on his last legs.

Combined with veteran wingback experience with peresic, this is still a good summer outcome for wingbacks if it happens. B+.

But as we've seen, Skipp after a season loan in Championship can step up in PL.

Maybe the assessment is that Spence after about 2 seasons in Championship can make a quick almost instant impression.

The main risk seems not to be his ability, but his attitude. Managers have questioned this and that worries me. For example, Warnock in 2020:
“I’ve been impressed (with Spence) up to a point, but I think there’s so much more he could do,” added Warnock.

It’s about application, dedication – all of these things come into it. He’s definitely got all the tools though, there’s no doubt at all about that.”

Very hard to be a top PL player without application, dedication, drive. He's had one good season, but it's another thing to stay motivated for multiple seasons. He's about to see a big (maybe 5 or 10x) jump in his salary too. Will he stay hungry and keep working? Hopefully the kid has matured and the penny has dropped at Forest, but he's not a Skipp where you can be 100% sure his attitude will be spot on.

The main risk seems not to be his ability, but his attitude. Managers have questioned this and that worries me. For example, Warnock in 2020:
“I’ve been impressed (with Spence) up to a point, but I think there’s so much more he could do,” added Warnock.

It’s about application, dedication – all of these things come into it. He’s definitely got all the tools though, there’s no doubt at all about that.”

Very hard to be a top PL player without application, dedication, drive. He's had one good season, but it's another thing to stay motivated for multiple seasons. He's about to see a big (maybe 5 or 10x) jump in his salary too. Will he stay hungry and keep working? Hopefully the kid has matured and the penny has dropped at Forest, but he's not a Skipp where you can be 100% sure his attitude will be spot on.
I'm hoping after the Ndombele fiasco we're doing our due diligence on players' attitudes. And structuring their contracts so they're incentive based rather than guaranteed money week in week out.

I'm hoping...

Tottenham agree deal to buy Djed Spence from Middlesbrough
  • Fee for England Under-21s right-back is about £20m
  • Spence has just finished loan season at Nottingham Forest
    5316.jpg
    Djed Spence celebrates after winning promotion to the Premier League with Nottingham Forest last month.

Back
Top Bottom