Spurs Youth 2021/22

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Twitter doesn’t embed for me, presume others, so copying this here:

When getting the loans right from a young age you increase the value too. Livermore sold for £8m, Carroll £5m, Caulker £8m, Townsend £15m, Mason £13m Pritchard £8m. Now we let Edwards go for nothing apart from a sell on clause and Markanday for 500k

The point of loans is to give youngsters the chance to play men in meaningful matches 0 and the loanees should get great experience which may equip them for playing in Spurs first team matches, including pre-season.

The best if them we hope to keep on (Kane, Skipp being obvious examples) with the others given enough playing time so they attract good fees if they move to other clubs - the ones you list were part of £100m raised just after Poch joined , although sadly too much was wasted on poor buys such as Sissako

He wasn't a big fan of loans wanting to get youngsters training with first team instead, That change in process didn't work so we didn't get players through to first team (other than Winks) nor gave them experience to attract decent transfer fees. Loans are now back in favour at Spurs (one of few things that Mourhno got right) but we di need to get better at them so we get more first team players from academy (even if only for a couple of seasons such as Townsend and Carroll did) as well as sales of players deemed not quite good enough for us who can get a decent career elsewhere

The examples you give here just demonstrate how difficult the issue has become. Four or the six that you show decent fees for were full England Internationals - the other two each had plenty of U21 caps. They reached that stage partly, as you say, through good loans. But largely (I would suggest) by playing for a mid-table Premiership team called Spurs! That team doesn't exist any more - and I very much doubt that any of the players on your list would have stood a chance of playing a significant number of games for the current incarnation of Spurs.

It’s why Chelsea have so many out on loan, and faced relegation from the u23 division this season

If you loan out all your players what are you left with?

But if you keep players you can get them training with the 1st team, take them to away games, European games etc etc.
And then players who you could loan out might then refuse to sign a new contract. Wanting first team football and the wages / bonuses that brings.

See who gets loaned out this summer anyway.

The examples you give here just demonstrate how difficult the issue has become. Four or the six that you show decent fees for were full England Internationals - the other two each had plenty of U21 caps. They reached that stage partly, as you say, through good loans. But largely (I would suggest) by playing for a mid-table Premiership team called Spurs! That team doesn't exist any more - and I very much doubt that any of the players on your list would have stood a chance of playing a significant number of games for the current incarnation of Spurs.
And we still got knocked out of the fa youth cup by the mighty port vale.

and more to the point that Carney Chukwuemeka who is has 12 months left on his contract and seems unkeen to sign another one despite 13 Villa first team appearances.
What are the chances of us getting this kid? If he's after regular playing time I imagine it's not going to be very high.

What are the chances of us getting this kid? If he's after regular playing time I imagine it's not going to be very high.

If he's after regular playing time, I'd suggest he may follow the Dortmund route - club pretty high up the pyramid in a less competitive league than PL.

Although Jaden Sancho may now not be such a good example to follow after his less than spectacular return to PL with a £100m price tag.

What Spurs would offer I think is a loan to a decent Championship club for a season and then integration into first team (and being in CL we'd have perhaps 15-20 games a season than Villa do = better chance of playing). But there's no reason why he couldn't negotiate the same at Villa (other than european matches) I'd have thought ?

Back
Top Bottom