Come here to laugh at United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

Maguire gets a lot of stick and I suppose it will always happen considering how much they paid for him. But put him in a back three or alongside someone with pace and he's a far better defender than he has generally shown for United. He's always been rock solid for England, and his leadership at the back is missed when it's not there like against Hungary.

He would be far better in La Liga where it's far less hectic and end to end than the Premier League.

It's always a bad sign when a new manager comes in and then the only players you're linked with are the ones he's managed before.

They can't offer Champions League football and they'll have to sign the scraps, players that other top clubs didn't want for whatever reason. Although de Jong would be a very good signing, it seems like it would be against his actual wishes as he desperately wants to stay at Barcelona, and that's never a good thing when a player signs because he had to and not because he actually wanted to.

They should forget about him and focus on Declan Rice. They'll have to pay way over the odds for him but a top class defensive midfielder is something they've been desperate for, for a while, and despite United being so pants right now he will still see them as a step up from West Ham and will be eager to join. Unless he's holding out for Chelsea so he can join his lover, Mason Mount.

Maguire gets a lot of stick and I suppose it will always happen considering how much they paid for him. But put him in a back three or alongside someone with pace and he's a far better defender than he has generally shown for United. He's always been rock solid for England, and his leadership at the back is missed when it's not there like against Hungary.

He would be far better in La Liga where it's far less hectic and end to end than the Premier League.

He'd do fine in a back 3 PL team, he's fit perfectly well in our back 3 for example Under Conte. It's just that he was an utter shit show for Utd because the club is an utter shit show and team had no direction.

He'd do fine in a back 3 PL team, he's fit perfectly well in our back 3 for example Under Conte. It's just that he was an utter shit show for Utd because the club is an utter shit show and team had no direction.

We've seen how average even someone like Varane has been made to look since he went to United. They are an absolute shambles. I'm far from the biggest fan of Maguire but he's generally nowhere near as bad as some try to make out. If he's in the side from the start, England don't lose 0-4 to Hungary. Not that they should be doing so regardless, but that's a different thing.

Frenkie de Jong would be an excellent addition to their midfield, but it wouldn't surprise me if they finish outside the top four again next season.

Last edited:
Frenkie de Jong is an excellent addition to their midfield, but it wouldn't surprise me if they finish outside the top four again next season.

Depends a lot on if he actually does want to go there. Everything I've read so far is that he would only if Barcelona force him to go so they can sign other players.

He also lacks pace. If you want the best of him and he is a good defender in the air for example you have to make sure he doesn’t get exposed, United seem to allow their whole defence to be open, to play that way you need very quick defenders.

He looked pretty ropey against Germany, may be his united form starting to catch up.

He would look a clogger in la Liga imo.

He looked pretty ropey against Germany, may be his united form starting to catch up.

Well I'm not making him out to be a world-beater. Far from it. But he's generally solid in the right system and not half as bad as is generally made out.

Maguire's a good centre back experiencing a crisis of confidence. The stats are pretty clear that he improved United significantly defensively the first season he signed, and he improved England a lot too, in two tournaments.

He's got weaknesses, his 1on1 defending for example is really bad, he loses too often in these situations compared to top centre backs. The problem is United paid for a VVD level defender who has zero weak spots.

He'd look great in La Liga in a well organised defence which understood his weaknesses, the same way he looked great at Leicester, United & England for a while. He's good enough on the ball to play in Spain and would dominate physical battles.

It's not like the pace of the game is faster or there are more 1on1s for him to deal with.

They can't offer Champions League football and they'll have to sign the scraps, players that other top clubs didn't want for whatever reason. Although de Jong would be a very good signing, it seems like it would be against his actual wishes as he desperately wants to stay at Barcelona, and that's never a good thing when a player signs because he had to and not because he actually wanted to.

They should forget about him and focus on Declan Rice. They'll have to pay way over the odds for him but a top class defensive midfielder is something they've been desperate for, for a while, and despite United being so pants right now he will still see them as a step up from West Ham and will be eager to join. Unless he's holding out for Chelsea so he can join his lover, Mason Mount.
Declan Rice is a 40/45m player (60m with English tax) that West Ham want minimum 100m for, all clubs should avoid him till he's got about 18 months left on his contract.

Declan Rice is a 40/45m player (60m with English tax) that West Ham want minimum 100m for, all clubs should avoid him till he's got about 18 months left on his contract.

In today's market he's worth closer to 100 million than the 40-45 you quoted. Great player, great leader and at 23 is still 4 or 5 years from what should be his peak. If anything, I'd say the fact that he is English is why he doesn't get the credit from some he deserves. His form suffered a bit at the back end of last season at times but that's because his club ran him into the ground. After Kane, he's the first name on England's team-sheet.

It’s funny I do genuinely forget that this lot exist at all when thinking about who we need to challenge next year. They’re becoming a modern day Queens Park or Wanderers FC. Any chance they go bust soon?

:mourweird:

Back
Top Bottom