Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watching football on TV would be so much better with no commentary.

Drives me nuts watching a match whilst two idiots drone on, spouting the bloody obvious.

I am sure sky used to have an option where you could mute commentary?

Yes... Peter Drury.... That's the cunt!

He has SUCH an annoying twatty 'know it all' commentary style.
... I almost prefer it when the team DON'T score, just to see where he goes with it, cos he's already peaked!! (Unless it's us, then I like to hear his disappointed back tracking, cos he didn't see it coming!)

It's a weird way of commentating, that's become more popular... It's the "I know what happens next, and will impress you with my pre disposed football knowledge"
...rather than just watch the play unfold, and COMMENT on what you see...

First rule of good commentary; don't be the 'know it all' ...just comment on what you see....

Kenneth Walstenholme nailed it in the '66 World Cup Final....

He commented that people were on the pitch, because "they thought it was all over...."
...and 'Bam' ...GOAL! "It is now...." ...without even taking a breath!
The perfect Football/commentary moment.

That's where I think the likes of Peter Drury have been trying too hard to pre-empt and copy moments like that ever since!
See also the bizarre reverential pronunciation when Key Player is given the ball, as if they were reciting the 99 names of Allah.

It reached its absolute peak with Messi, more often that not followed by an "Oh!" to remind us we had just witnessed the footballing equivalent feeding of the 5000, that we simply were not worthy, never mind that it was a simple 5-yard lay off to a team mate.

Drives me nuts watching a match whilst two idiots drone on, spouting the bloody obvious.

They did...
BBC Red button used to have a 'crowd only' function....
I don't know why they don't still do it... well, I do, 'cos TV HAS to include subliminal bias within their commentary, and you can't have that with Crowd only sound on!

That reminds me - I really miss Barry Davies as a commentator. He was infinitely better than Motson, so easy to listen to - almost poetic at times, and yet Motson used to get the big gigs more.

He is you know.

I had a t-shirt printed the Monday after that Semi Final in Romford Market with his exact commentary....
Wore it throughout the 1991/92 season...
thought I was SO clever (didn't think to get loads more made and sell them, so not so clever after all!!)

Last edited:

I used to just turn it off for our games but now turn it off for the majority of them. It is so much more of a better experience. They really add nothing. I know all the players, I can see what is happening. There's no bias (except for my own), no useless facts. Sure you miss the crowd noise but that's it. Being left with your own thoughts like when at a game is much better. Less anxiety too.

See also the bizarre reverential pronunciation when Key Player is given the ball, as if they were reciting the 99 names of Allah.

It reached its absolute peak with Messi, more often that not followed by an "Oh!" to remind us we had just witnessed the footballing equivalent feeding of the 5000, that we simply were not worthy, never mind that it was a simple 5-yard lay off to a team mate.

You've... heard of Ray Hudson, right?

He's one of those substandard British commentators who cons Americans into thinking he's an Oracle through sheer hyperbole.

He's one of those substandard British commentators who cons Americans into thinking he's an Oracle through sheer hyperbole.
Season 4 Whatever GIF by The Office

Ironically this guy makes watching Messi less enjoyable.

Ive mentioned it before but invest in surround sound and start pulling the wires at the back of the speakers until it is just crowd. I wish it could be surround sound of the crowd but such is life.

I put a switch on my commentary speakers and usually switch them back on when we are well ahead to listen to enjoy the moaning from the co-commentators.

What an absolute bellend lol.
I bet most of those goals were meaningless when Barca were already 5 up against bottom feeder clubs as well.

Back
Top Bottom