Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why would Lenglet swap Barca's bench for our bench ?
He’s coming to compete for his spot, not make up the numbers. At his best he is levels above what we have at LCB. I’m guessing a fresh start under Contes wing appeals to him and to Conte. Loan with an option to buy is great business for us, for him to rediscover his form under an elite manager in the top league in world football and it gets him off Barca’s wages for a season

Willing to give him a chance. How many of us rated Dier or Davies before Conte massively improved them?

We’ve also seen massive improvements from Juve’s “castoffs”

If Conte thinks he can get something out of him, good enough for me

He’s coming to compete for his spot, not make up the numbers. At his best he is levels above what we have at LCB. I’m guessing a fresh start under Contes wing appeals to him and to Conte. Loan with an option to buy is great business for us, for him to rediscover his form under an elite manager in the top league in world football and it gets him off Barca’s wages for a season
I would think Hugo approved this?

I would think Hugo approved this?
Perhaps he had a say but I think it’s Conte acknowledging that a player signed for £35 million by Barca doesn’t become shit overnight. Lenglet has clearly had a huge drop off in form from that point but he’s still only 27(?) and class is permanent. I think Conte knows that he stands a great chance of helping him recapture the form that he had at Seville. I’m optimistic

Would you take this as your 22 man squad going into next season?

Lloris, Forster
Spence, Doherty
Romero, Dier, Lenglet, Bremer, Davies, Sanchez
Perisic, Sessegnon
Bentancur, Bissouma, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Eriksen
Kulusevski, Richarlison, Son, Lucas
Kane
It's a very decent squad and should be good enough to finish in the top four again and possibly finally win a cup, but you are not gonna challenge for the title with it. Hoping for a nice CL run again, at least the quarter-finals.

I don't give a fuck if he's had a tricky year or two at Barca, Lenglet is a fucking massive upgrade on Davies as a LCB.

And we are paying bubkiss. And can send him back if it doesn't work.

Pleased to hear your opinion.

Our minimum target is a LCM who can be no worse than Ben Davies so he can rotate with him with no significant drop off - and whilst some might laugh under Conte for the last say quarter of the season, Davies Dier and Romero were a fantastic back line letting in very few goals. And one reason why we finished 4th.

IMO , other than a last season when he had few appearances for Barcelona, Lenglet had a decent record for about 3 seasons at Barcelona - so every chance Conte to get him back on track, and limited downside provided Davies stays fit (and he's never had a bad injury at Spurs). so should solve our LCB cover issue next season. And if he does well, could be signed as our longer term LCB. Very limited downside so good decision if it happens

Still think Spurs are deciding which CB to go for but Lenglet as a fall back option is great news

Would you take this as your 22 man squad going into next season?

Lloris, Forster
Spence, Doherty
Romero, Dier, Lenglet, Bremer, Davies, Sanchez
Perisic, Sessegnon
Bentancur, Bissouma, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Eriksen
Kulusevski, Richarlison, Son, Lucas
Kane

Eriksen doesn’t seem like a goer, but the rest is plausible and honestly likely. I don’t see how anyone would not see that as a massive improvement in both first team quality and depth.

Perisic, Bissouma, and Richarlison are instant impact players that should have very minimal adjustment times. Bissouma and Richarlison have done it in the league at a high level and are the high intensity physical players Conte loves. Perisic has done it everywhere. Won UCL, numerous league titles, scored in WC final, and played/thrived under our manager.

You’d probably prefer a bit of a more known quantity than Spence but considering we need HG players and the RWB market is underwhelming it makes sense. He’s also a natural RWB, played in a 3 at the back system all last season unlike Emerson who is not a tactical fit. Spence had a similar Championship season to Skipp, both making TOTY, and we saw how Skipp adjusted.

Bremer would be another great signing. Clearly has the pace and physicality to play in the PL. The last Serie A defender of the season we signed is working out. Lenglet gives us a left footer who is good in possession, he’s a good option to have.

Overall, the one nitpick is that it would have been nice to get Bastoni or Gvaridol, as they are both better tactical and quality and slide easily into the starting 11 at LCB, but it is what it is, those were always going to be tough deals.

Considering we ended the season with a bench of Winks, Bergwijn, Moura, Gollini, Rodon, Craig, White, Scarlett, and Devine that potential 22 man squad is a massive improvement.

I was thinking he can't be that bad and play for Barcelona.

Then I remembered Paulinho.
Cant Remember Joe Biden GIF

I don't give a fuck if he's had a tricky year or two at Barca, Lenglet is a fucking massive upgrade on Davies as a LCB.

And we are paying bubkiss. And can send him back if it doesn't work.

For what it's worth, these are rudimentary stats, I posted them just to emphasise a point. You can do a much more detailed search comparing Lenglet with Davies, Bastoni, Gvardiol, Torres etc on Fbref. And his numbers stack up well.

Not sure this link will work, but if it does, have a look.

Someone also posted a video of someone talking through this same comparison in the Lenglet thread tonight, it's worth a listen.

Back
Top Bottom