Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dunno, I can see him starting more and more as the season goes on. Lad will be 22, he’s not a child.

Plus, probably the best league in the world to prep for the PL in terms of pace and power….is the Championship.

When do people envisage him becoming useful, mid-twenties?
Nah, again there's a reason no other PL clubs are interested

I'd say so, especially considering the homegrown aspect. If we think the lad is good enough to be worth bringing in to challenge for a starting spot in a Champions League side, then surely he's worth something around £15m.
I doubt we think he is though (good enough to be challenging for a CL spot), he is without a doubt a fantastic "prospect" (I love him) but he wasn't good enough to get into Middlesbrough's side, that's why they loaned him out! Admittedly he had a great year and probably far surpassed Middleborough's expectations (helped no doubt by having a brilliant manager at Forrest).

The numbers mentioned are at the very top end for a Championship loaned player, by comparison, Chelsea sold Lamperty for £3m to Brighton only 6 months ago!!!

I doubt we think he is though (good enough to be challenging for a CL spot), he is without a doubt a fantastic "prospect" (I love him) but he wasn't good enough to get into Middlesbrough's side, that's why they loaned him out! Admittedly he had a great year and probably far surpassed Middleborough's expectations (helped no doubt by having a brilliant manager at Forrest).

The numbers mentioned are at the very top end for a Championship loaned player, by comparison, Chelsea sold Lamperty for £3m to Brighton only 6 months ago!!!
I don't think we'd be trying to sign him for such an important role if we didn't think he could crack into the team this season.

Lamptey was in January 2020, and he had 6 months left on his contract, for a player who had done very little to that point.

Spence last season had more goal contributions than Lamptey has managed in his entire pro career to this point, and has 2 years left on his contract.

Something around the £15m they're apparently asking for is probably a fair price.

I don't think we'd be trying to sign him for such an important role if we didn't think he could crack into the team this season.

Lamptey was in January 2020, and he had 6 months left on his contract, for a player who had done very little to that point.

Spence last season had more goal contributions than Lamptey has managed in his entire pro career to this point, and has 2 years left on his contract.

Something around the £15m they're apparently asking for is probably a fair price.
Thanks for picking me up on when Lamperty signed, wow time flies! Appols.

But there is NOTHING to suggest that he will go from not being not good enough to play for Middlesborough to getting a CL spot for Spurs. The jump from Champ to PL is big enough one on its own.

None of that is to say that it's impossible, Dele achieved it and had we qualified for CL I'm sure he would have played in that team too when he first arrived.

But I don't see him as a player ready for this now, I see him on par with where Walker-Peters is now. I do think there's more upside to Spence than KWP though as he's physically better than him, he can overpower his oppo number (I've never seen KWP do that since he played first-team football).

Whichever way you look at this deal with the price being quoted it leaves us with no wiggle room if he flops. £15m is at the absolute limits of value for a player who they loaned out and has zero experience in the PL.

I can see why Conte wants him for Wing back, pace is like that of Walker or prime Lennon. Martinelli is one of Arsenals Fastest players and got burned the whole game.

Adama Troare was a hit and miss on this forum and we wanted him in Jan. Adama, Spence or whoever I think Conte wants proper pace on that right wing.

I can see why Conte wants him for Wing back, pace is like that of Walker or prime Lennon. Martinelli is one of Arsenals Fastest players and got burned the whole game.

Adama Troare was a hit and miss on this forum and we wanted him in Jan. Adama, Spence or whoever I think Conte wants proper pace on that right wing.

The raw materials are immense if the kids not a complete head banger and is teachable Conte turn this into plutonium 357

I’m just not blown away by this potential signing. I was excited by Perisic because I think he instantly improves our starting team but does Spence do that and is he an upgrade on Doherty who was playing extremely well before he got injured? I wonder if we’ll ship Emerson, Doherty will be our starter and Spence will be the backup.

I’d really prefer to spend some money and get a more recognized player. I’d be ok selling Emerson, buying Spence for the future and getting another RWB but I just hope this doesn’t turn out to be like Sess. How much would he cost if he wasn’t English?

Spence is definitely a back up, he will not be a first team starters.

He may in time, but we're buying potential ability, not current ability.

There's a reason no other big clubs are in for him.

How old was Walker when he started for us? Younger than Spence, I think.

You’ve got to let go of this idea that because no other big clubs are in for him, that he’s not good enough. Nobody except Liverpool went after Robertson. Nobody except us went after Kulusevski. Nobody except Leicester went after Kante.

Now he may well turn out to be shite but if our scouts are competent talent-spotters and the lad himself has the right attitude, that shouldn’t be the case. If he has the talent all he has to do is work hard.

Spence will come in to compete with Doc and Emerson if Emerson is still here. I doubt Conte even has a starter in mind yet. Let’s see who has the best preseason and go from there.

How old was Walker when he started for us? Younger than Spence, I think.

You’ve got to let go of this idea that because no other big clubs are in for him, that he’s not good enough. Nobody except Liverpool went after Robertson. Nobody except us went after Kulusevski. Nobody except Leicester went after Kante.

Now he may well turn out to be shite but if our scouts are competent talent-spotters and the lad himself has the right attitude, that shouldn’t be the case. If he has the talent all he has to do is work hard.

He may have bucket loads of potential but the question is whether he will realise it.

As it stands, right now today, (assuming he signs) he is definitely going to be a back up.

That doesn't mean that he's rubbish, it doesn't mean that he's a bad signing, it doesn't mean that he won't play plenty of games, it doesn't mean he's not good enough.

All it means is that, right now, he'll be 2nd choice RWB.
If he can claim the 1st team spot as his own nobody would be happier than me.

The raw materials are immense if the kids not a complete head banger and is teachable Conte turn this into plutonium
I’m just not blown away by this potential signing. I was excited by Perisic because I think he instantly improves our starting team but does Spence do that and is he an upgrade on Doherty who was playing extremely well before he got injured? I wonder if we’ll ship Emerson, Doherty will be our starter and Spence will be the backup.

I’d really prefer to spend some money and get a more recognized player. I’d be ok selling Emerson, buying Spence for the future and getting another RWB but I just hope this doesn’t turn out to be like Sess. How much would he cost if he wasn’t English?
I'd trade Spence for Doherty in a heart beat. Your nuts. Doherty bumbling about over five good games really ?😳 This kid has the ceiling to be a world class wingback, that's not saying he will be but we should 100% be looking beyond one season. Start him as understudy let Conte teach him and see if he can rise to the challenge. I'd sell Doherty before Emerson. Because Dohertys age and last bad injury, sadly don't think they'll be alot if takers.

He tore Martinelli a new one. That last foul was cynical, it was basically Martinelli admitting defeat and tackling him from behind in frustration.

Back
Top Bottom