Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maddison in old tweets said he hates Spurs. I don't want anyone who has ever said that anywhere near our club. Fuck that shit.
Don’t get me wrong I’m not chomping at the bit about him either. But it’s hard to argue his quality.
We’d be paying a premium for the HG factor combined with Leicester not being in any need to sell.

Something else we should probably be a bit more mindful of that most of us have said some utter embarrassing stuff at the age of 13, we were just lucky enough to not have social media as a platform to remind us of it. Not saying it’s an excuse for everything, but it wouldn’t be too hard to imagine a person growing mentally between the age of 13/16 and their mid 20s

Last edited:
Don’t see much movement in players going out. The winks to Everton story has died of death.
It's laughable that we've been trying to get money for him at this stage. He has to go out on loan somewhere (most likely with us subsidising most if not all of his wages) and if he does well a permanent move might happen.

You'd think players would be more willing to take wage cuts if it meant they were getting first team football. Why aren't they thinking: "I'm one of the few people talented enough to play football at the top level. It's a short career which I can expect to end when I get to my mid-30s and possibly before that if I have injury problems. There is nothing I can do with £80k a week that I can't do with £40k a week and I don't want to waste the small amount of time I have sitting on the subs bench because, when I have to retire, I will regret not having spent that time playing."

It's laughable that we've been trying to get money for him at this stage. He has to go out on loan somewhere (most likely with us subsidising most if not all of his wages) and if he does well a permanent move might happen.

You'd think players would be more willing to take wage cuts if it meant they were getting first team football. Why aren't they thinking: "I'm one of the few people talented enough to play football at the top level. It's a short career which I can expect to end when I get to my mid-30s and possibly before that if I have injury problems. There is nothing I can do with £80k a week that I can't do with £40k a week and I don't want to waste the small amount of time I have sitting on the subs bench because, when I have to retire, I will regret not having spent that time playing."
So would you halve your wages in order to increase your workload?

Getting rid of players is tough especially if we’re looking for a decent fee. Look how long berg took and he’s half decent!

Player’s gotta be willing to go too. Might be tough to shift winks, Ndombele etc unless we loan them all out

Getting rid of players is tough especially if we’re looking for a decent fee. Look how long berg took and he’s half decent!

Player’s gotta be willing to go too. Might be tough to shift winks, Ndombele etc unless we loan them all out
If Winks is on 50k a week and had 2 years left, we'd save £5.2m in wages.
I'd knock that straight off my asking price of I was selling him. That's decent money saved there

...it wouldn’t be too hard to imagine a person growing mentally between the age of 13/16 and their mid 20s
Grealish / Dele / (insert many others here) say hello... ;)

The proof is in the pudding - does he act like a twat now? I don't mean saying bad things about Spurs, I mean just generally? As I'd be nervous about signing any (more) players who never quite grew up... Yes he is playing very well at the moment, but has he matured enough to not go off the rails in the next couple of years? (Just a question by the way - I'm not proposing the answer).

Any fee recieved is profit as he came through the youth system.
You know it and I know it.
But someone sees a HG player at prime age and probably thinks he's worth a lot of money.

IF we were to make an offer for Maddison, whatever anyone thinks of him, I'd say Winks is worth absolutely no more than half what we're willing to pay. Personally I'd say less than half.

Depends how much I earned to start with and whether I enjoyed what I was doing.
I wouldn't halve my current salary. But if I earned that much a week rather than a year, and I got to do something good, then yes, I would.
That's all relative though. It's easy for us to say 'on our sort of money halving or doubling would be huge, but it wouldn't for a PL footballer'. Some poor fucker earning peanuts in the third world would most likely say the same about us, i.e. that halving or doubling their wage would dramatically change their life, possibly be the difference between life or death for them and family, whereas for most of us that's probably not the case, we'd probably just have to massively change our lifestyle - downsize the house, downsize the car (or get rid completely), stop buying luxuries etc. For PL player earning £80k, a drop to £40k would mean similar for their lifestyle, just at a different level.

It's all relative, and you'd be hard-pushed to find anyone in the world who would happily halve their salary, certainly at least without complaining that it made a significant difference to their lifestyle.

Grealish / Dele / (insert many others here) say hello... ;)

The proof is in the pudding - does he act like a twat now? I don't mean saying bad things about Spurs, I mean just generally? As I'd be nervous about signing any (more) players who never quite grew up... Yes he is playing very well at the moment, but has he matured enough to not go off the rails in the next couple of years? (Just a question by the way - I'm not proposing the answer).
That’s a very good question. I’ve paid next to no attention to him. Personally think he looks like a right mug, but not the fun Grealish kind.

Back
Top Bottom