Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The fans having a formal say in decision making is weird because how far does it extend? They have an input on transfers? Ticket prices? Levy could in theory give them a voice and just ignore everything they say. The flip side is we do have a formal voice in that we can not turn up to games, not buy club merchandise, give our opinion on social media etc.

he focus is inevitably on achieving good results at Tottenham Hotspur, but not simply on the field. As part of the regeneration of the area around their new stadium, Spurs built (and now run) a school that has done so well that ten pupils at present have Oxbridge offers and await next week’s A-level results day hopefully.

Spurs fans thronging into their gleaming home may not realise that there is a school attached, as well as an art gallery that recently exhibited portraits of heartbroken England men’s players at the European Championship. They may not notice the artificial pitch made of 18,000 recycled trainers and small-sided pitches where club coaches work on talent ID at nearby schools. They may not know about the club’s employment policy that has given hope, purpose and funds to local youngsters with cerebral palsy.

Premier League clubs get things wrong at times, they can overcharge fans for kits and tickets, but they remain vital hubs of the community. The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is more than an arena that wins architectural awards and houses a confident Champions League team. It’s a beacon of hope and belief in an area that is among the most deprived wards in the country.
It’s only a decade since the streets here were set ablaze during riots, and visiting fans subsequently chanted: “You stupid bastards, you burnt your own town.” Some local youths were more likely to join gangs than coaching sessions. Now, outside of match days, they flock to the stadium to be coached and educated.
One of the pupils at the London Academy of Excellence Tottenham (LAET) is Rachel Oloyede-Oyeyemi, who has an offer to read English literature at Cambridge. “I live near where Mark Duggan got shot,” she says of the killing of a 29-year-old black man by police on August 4, 2011, that triggered the riots. “Everyone was on edge there. It was scary. I didn’t want to go outside. It was like Tottenham’s burning down.”

Now it is rebuilding. “I don’t think I’d be doing English lit or thinking about Cambridge without this school,” she adds. “The teaching gave me the fire I needed. They cultivated my love for English. They really show you how much you can achieve if you genuinely put your mind to it.”

LAET is a state-funded sixth form assisted by Spurs and Highgate School, who also help with interview technique to prepare pupils for Oxbridge. “It feels that Tottenham’s proud again, people coming to this beautiful stadium for football but also education,” she says. “The stadium’s a symbol of hope.”

Another pupil, Giovanni Rose, was eight during the riots. “On my road, Park Lane [adjacent to the old and new stadium], there was a gang and it was a very violent time,” Rose says, also recalling what befell the famous Carpetright store on Tottenham High Road. “One of my friends had his house set on fire, it was crazy. I’m grateful to the club, 100 per cent, as it’s kept a lot of us safe.”

Since coming under the guidance of Spurs, Rose has had some of his poetry published by the BBC, studied maths, further maths and physics at LAET and received an offer from King’s College London. “I wouldn’t even be doing A-levels without this place,” he says, looking around LAET.

The Times is given a tour, including to where two games are taking place in the N17 arena behind the South Stand. The Tottenham Foundation has worked hard with local children coming out of lockdown, using the new pitches for games and rebuilding relationships. “They’ve missed out on social interaction,” one staff member confides. “They’re always happy to come down here to sessions. It’s about safe spaces.”

Yards away, on a smaller-sided pitch, two academy coaches, Danny Mitchell and Nick Hardy, are working with under-tens, looking for potential talent for Spurs. “The badge is very important,” Mitchell says. “We want to tap into their passion for the team.” They also find that players open up to coaches over issues in their lives. It’s about developing the player and the individual. “It’s a holistic piece,” Mitchell adds.

Throughout August, Spurs deliver a programme of free holiday activity, from football to the performing arts, for young people at the N17 arena. The aim is to promote “health and wellbeing and reduce levels of crime and antisocial behaviour” but there is also more talent ID work.

Continuing around the ground, along Tottenham High Road we find the grade II listed Warmington House incorporated in the structure of the stadium. Restored to its original 1828 glory and removed from Historic England’s at-risk register, the building houses OOF, an art gallery. “OOF is the sound of someone getting tackled very hard,” explains Eddy Frankel, the inspiration behind the gallery and a Spurs fan.

Frankel was seeking exhibition space in the area and contacted the club. “Spurs went, ‘Well, we’ve got this listed building.’ ” Frankel’s first exhibition had works from the Young British Artists school, including a Sarah Lucas and a Marcus Harvey lent by Damien Hirst. As Harvey’s works are also on display at MoMA in New York, OOF has done well. “To have them here was amazing,” Frankel says. Eric Dier was one of the first to visit.

More recently Frankel curated an exhibition, En-Ger-Land. This included Beatrice Lettice Boyle’s portraits of a haunted Bukayo Saka, Jack Grealish and Jadon Sancho, entitled Tears in Their Eyes, after their loss to Italy in last year’s Euros final. “It’s about the repercussions [of defeat],” Frankel says.

During En-Ger-Land, visitors were encouraged to draw versions of England trauma. “I had to edit them every morning to remove all the penises and take away anything offensive to our rivals!” Frankel says.

More than 20,000 people a year visit OOF. “Over 95 per cent of people coming here have never been to a contemporary art exhibition,” Frankel says. “There are four schools around the stadium, so what is the chance of them getting taken to the Tate or National Gallery? Never.”

The present exhibition is by the French artist Leyman Lahcine, of footballers as “angst-ridden string puppets”. As the captions explain: “Instead of taking the ball down on your chest and accelerating towards goal, your body collapses into a tangle of soft, lifeless limbs. The groan from the crowd is deafening . . . This is how it always ends.”

Fortunately not for Spurs at the moment. They’re flying. Back in the stadium I find the chicken house, and talk to one of the staff, Aaron Plummer, who has cerebral palsy. “When I went for jobs before, they saw my learning disability before they saw me,” Plummer says. “I was looking for a job for over a year. I didn’t know where to go. Then Tottenham gave me a chance.

“I clean tables, making it spotless. It’s changed my life: to say I work at somewhere like Tottenham with 50,000 fans!” The regeneration game continues apace at Spurs.

he focus is inevitably on achieving good results at Tottenham Hotspur, but not simply on the field. As part of the regeneration of the area around their new stadium, Spurs built (and now run) a school that has done so well that ten pupils at present have Oxbridge offers and await next week’s A-level results day hopefully.

Spurs fans thronging into their gleaming home may not realise that there is a school attached, as well as an art gallery that recently exhibited portraits of heartbroken England men’s players at the European Championship. They may not notice the artificial pitch made of 18,000 recycled trainers and small-sided pitches where club coaches work on talent ID at nearby schools. They may not know about the club’s employment policy that has given hope, purpose and funds to local youngsters with cerebral palsy.

Premier League clubs get things wrong at times, they can overcharge fans for kits and tickets, but they remain vital hubs of the community. The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is more than an arena that wins architectural awards and houses a confident Champions League team. It’s a beacon of hope and belief in an area that is among the most deprived wards in the country.
It’s only a decade since the streets here were set ablaze during riots, and visiting fans subsequently chanted: “You stupid bastards, you burnt your own town.” Some local youths were more likely to join gangs than coaching sessions. Now, outside of match days, they flock to the stadium to be coached and educated.
One of the pupils at the London Academy of Excellence Tottenham (LAET) is Rachel Oloyede-Oyeyemi, who has an offer to read English literature at Cambridge. “I live near where Mark Duggan got shot,” she says of the killing of a 29-year-old black man by police on August 4, 2011, that triggered the riots. “Everyone was on edge there. It was scary. I didn’t want to go outside. It was like Tottenham’s burning down.”

Now it is rebuilding. “I don’t think I’d be doing English lit or thinking about Cambridge without this school,” she adds. “The teaching gave me the fire I needed. They cultivated my love for English. They really show you how much you can achieve if you genuinely put your mind to it.”

LAET is a state-funded sixth form assisted by Spurs and Highgate School, who also help with interview technique to prepare pupils for Oxbridge. “It feels that Tottenham’s proud again, people coming to this beautiful stadium for football but also education,” she says. “The stadium’s a symbol of hope.”

Another pupil, Giovanni Rose, was eight during the riots. “On my road, Park Lane [adjacent to the old and new stadium], there was a gang and it was a very violent time,” Rose says, also recalling what befell the famous Carpetright store on Tottenham High Road. “One of my friends had his house set on fire, it was crazy. I’m grateful to the club, 100 per cent, as it’s kept a lot of us safe.”

Since coming under the guidance of Spurs, Rose has had some of his poetry published by the BBC, studied maths, further maths and physics at LAET and received an offer from King’s College London. “I wouldn’t even be doing A-levels without this place,” he says, looking around LAET.

The Times is given a tour, including to where two games are taking place in the N17 arena behind the South Stand. The Tottenham Foundation has worked hard with local children coming out of lockdown, using the new pitches for games and rebuilding relationships. “They’ve missed out on social interaction,” one staff member confides. “They’re always happy to come down here to sessions. It’s about safe spaces.”

Yards away, on a smaller-sided pitch, two academy coaches, Danny Mitchell and Nick Hardy, are working with under-tens, looking for potential talent for Spurs. “The badge is very important,” Mitchell says. “We want to tap into their passion for the team.” They also find that players open up to coaches over issues in their lives. It’s about developing the player and the individual. “It’s a holistic piece,” Mitchell adds.

Throughout August, Spurs deliver a programme of free holiday activity, from football to the performing arts, for young people at the N17 arena. The aim is to promote “health and wellbeing and reduce levels of crime and antisocial behaviour” but there is also more talent ID work.

Continuing around the ground, along Tottenham High Road we find the grade II listed Warmington House incorporated in the structure of the stadium. Restored to its original 1828 glory and removed from Historic England’s at-risk register, the building houses OOF, an art gallery. “OOF is the sound of someone getting tackled very hard,” explains Eddy Frankel, the inspiration behind the gallery and a Spurs fan.

Frankel was seeking exhibition space in the area and contacted the club. “Spurs went, ‘Well, we’ve got this listed building.’ ” Frankel’s first exhibition had works from the Young British Artists school, including a Sarah Lucas and a Marcus Harvey lent by Damien Hirst. As Harvey’s works are also on display at MoMA in New York, OOF has done well. “To have them here was amazing,” Frankel says. Eric Dier was one of the first to visit.

More recently Frankel curated an exhibition, En-Ger-Land. This included Beatrice Lettice Boyle’s portraits of a haunted Bukayo Saka, Jack Grealish and Jadon Sancho, entitled Tears in Their Eyes, after their loss to Italy in last year’s Euros final. “It’s about the repercussions [of defeat],” Frankel says.

During En-Ger-Land, visitors were encouraged to draw versions of England trauma. “I had to edit them every morning to remove all the penises and take away anything offensive to our rivals!” Frankel says.

More than 20,000 people a year visit OOF. “Over 95 per cent of people coming here have never been to a contemporary art exhibition,” Frankel says. “There are four schools around the stadium, so what is the chance of them getting taken to the Tate or National Gallery? Never.”

The present exhibition is by the French artist Leyman Lahcine, of footballers as “angst-ridden string puppets”. As the captions explain: “Instead of taking the ball down on your chest and accelerating towards goal, your body collapses into a tangle of soft, lifeless limbs. The groan from the crowd is deafening . . . This is how it always ends.”

Fortunately not for Spurs at the moment. They’re flying. Back in the stadium I find the chicken house, and talk to one of the staff, Aaron Plummer, who has cerebral palsy. “When I went for jobs before, they saw my learning disability before they saw me,” Plummer says. “I was looking for a job for over a year. I didn’t know where to go. Then Tottenham gave me a chance.

“I clean tables, making it spotless. It’s changed my life: to say I work at somewhere like Tottenham with 50,000 fans!” The regeneration game continues apace at Spurs.
Reading the last two paragraphs is pretty emotional. Thanks.

Fucking Levy. Spending money on good causes instead of winning cups.

OnLy IntEresTeD in pRofiTs.

Compare to last year..

Last year was Nuno. I'm surprised there was even 25% of people who weren't furious with ENIC and where the club where. I can't even believe ENIC were happy with themselves.

The latest one is still fairly indicative of the football fans view. The small section shows 75% of fans think the business side is sorted but the football side isnt.
Only 12% think they do a good job. That's probably just airfix, stevee and shadydan taking the survey multiple times.

Last year was Nuno. I'm surprised there was even 25% of people who weren't furious with ENIC and where the club where. I can't even believe ENIC were happy with themselves.

The latest one is still fairly indicative of the football fans view. The small section shows 75% of fans think the business side is sorted but the football side isnt.
Only 12% think they do a good job. That's probably just airfix, stevee and shadydan taking the survey multiple times.
And only 3% think that Enic should sell up now.
So that's you, Moan Thomas and Scott covered then.

:adethumbup:

Last edited:
Fucking Levy. Spending money on good causes instead of winning cups.

They bought a golf club to transform it into a base for women’s football and got pilloried for it. Now if it really takes off in this country they’ll be really well placed to take advantage of it. I’ve no real interest in women’s football but anyone can see it’s a great investment for the sport.

Don't forget Zomb and that banned nut job @Arcespace
Don’t think he should sell up at all. I’ve been super critical of him for valid reasons, the penny has finally dropped with the slap head bald goblin so I’m fully ENIC in. I wanted a change in CEO and for him to take a backseat but he’s picked a stellar football line up and delegated so less of an issue. Now focus on increasing the commercial deals and we will be frightening

Don't forget Zomb and that banned nut job @Arcespace
Looking Tyler The Creator GIF by AMAs
forgetting many more

Back
Top Bottom