Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Definitely not in a cm2. He’s not really a 10 either. He’s more of a very attacking biased 8 (Lazio usually play a 433). He’s got some technical ability and an eye for a goal/pass/assist. He definitely lacks dynamism and is pretty shit without the ball, but in and around the oppo box he’s pretty productive in SerieA. Whether he’d transfer that level of productivity to the PL is very debatable.

Personally I’d pass. He’s a very niche player, that fits where he is. Our midfield is already laborious. I don’t think he’ll enjoy the pace of the PL as much, he’s a bit of a plodder now, and he’s 27, so fuck knows how slow he’ll be in a couple of years, and will have little resale upside if we want to move him on.

Maybe Conte sees him as that Maddison/Eriksen piece for the toolkit. Someone who can be an 8/10 hybrid. But we don’t play (start) a cm3 ever.

Seems like another fairly big investment fee/wages for a player who may well not start much.

This is the central point with all these MF names floating about....... At least SMS & Maddison are somewhat productive though.

Definitely not in a cm2. He’s not really a 10 either. He’s more of a very attacking biased 8 (Lazio usually play a 433). He’s got some technical ability and an eye for a goal/pass/assist. He definitely lacks dynamism and is pretty shit without the ball, but in and around the oppo box he’s pretty productive in SerieA. Whether he’d transfer that level of productivity to the PL is very debatable.

Personally I’d pass. He’s a very niche player, that fits where he is. Our midfield is already laborious. I don’t think he’ll enjoy the pace of the PL as much, he’s a bit of a plodder now, and he’s 27, so fuck knows how slow he’ll be in a couple of years, and will have little resale upside if we want to move him on.

Maybe Conte sees him as that Maddison/Eriksen piece for the toolkit. Someone who can be an 8/10 hybrid. But we don’t play (start) a cm3 ever.

Seems like another fairly big investment fee/wages for a player who may well not start much.
To me he does not sound the right signing then. We need a player that can do something special but can play two or three positions. Looks like ther is good reason why everyone is avoiding.

Last edited:

I largely agree.

But if Conte is going to play Richarlison through the middle, then our Plan B formation may be 3-5-2 with 2 of Kane, Richarlison & Sonny up front, and Deki & Perisic as the WBs.

In that formation, we need an extra CM, and ideally a box-to-box or creative one. This could be why the rumours about SMS have resurfaced. I wouldn't be surprised to see speculation about McKennie & Barella too, if Conte is thinking this way. Even Maddison.

A switch from Plan A 3-4-3 to Plan B 3-5-2 with Richarlison's shithousery through the middle, is much easier if we're chasing a match than the switch to 4-2-4 yesterday, where the positioning of the back 4 directly led to the chavs' second goal.

First choice was Van Gaal after AVB and Sherwood. Levy went to meet him and offered him the job. I think he is on record of saying he was offered Tottenham but you cant turn down Man U.

David-Moyes.jpg

I thought Dier and Romero were fine today to be honest

Bentancur and PEH just got run over playing in a 2 which meant our front 3 had to play CDM 95% of the game

I'm not 100% convinced today's issues was because of personnel

Dier went awol for their second, just look at his dereliction of duty.

Five Spurs players were around the ball when Kulu lost it, and Dier decided to move out of position and leave one defender and Lloris to defend an empty area.

I could have scored that goal, and Dier was to blame, no fucking argument about it.

He's an ok defender but occasionally will cost us a goal or two through making piss poor decisions. Conte will no doubt cover that and tp a certain extent covered this in his post match prezzer.

Dier went awol for their second, just look at his dereliction of duty.

Five Spurs players were around the ball when Kulu lost it, and Dier decided to move out of position and leave one defender and Lloris to defend an empty area.

I could have scored that goal, and Dier was to blame, no fucking argument about it.

He's an ok defender but occasionally will cost us a goal or two through making piss poor decisions. Conte will no doubt cover that and tp a certain extent covered this in his post match prezzer.

For once I'm in total agreement. Although "dereliction of duty" - are you in the army or what? 😂

Last chance saloon for Sessegnon this season, I feel.

Udogie is only 19 years old though. Conte may decide that sending him on loan to a Premier League team next season might be better use of him and keep Perisic and Sessegnon on again.

Conte isn't going to wait two seasons to play him.

No way is he going out on a two season loan.

If he's good enough he's young enough.

I think he is the player that would allow us to play some matches with the 352. like the yesterday one, where our midfield struggled too much.
it's important to have variants to our 343 if we want to win something.

I don't know if he could be used in the 2-midfield honestly
Could we perhaps move Deki to midfield, if we need to go 3-5-2, and save the money for an elite LCB? The times we would need to do this would be few and far between that maybe it's not worth paying upwards of 50 million for someone we would use sparingly. And we have Sarr who looks a proper talent and can contribute in that area, provided he's able to develop quickly and acclimatize to the PL.

Our performance against Chelsea today - was it Conte's tactics or did we just not have the players?

What are1 or 2 signings that would solve the issues we saw today?
Sometimes teams just aren’t at the races. I’m not saying we’re Liverpool or City but they don’t play brilliantly all the time. We just have to keep fighting and get something when we’re not playing well, that’s the difference between top teams and the rest.

That being said I’m always for additional players if they improve us

Could we perhaps move Deki to midfield, if we need to go 3-5-2, and save the money for an elite LCB? The times we would need to do this would be few and far between that maybe it's not worth paying upwards of 50 million for someone we would use sparingly. And we have Sarr who looks a proper talent and can contribute in that area, provided he's able to develop quickly and acclimatize to the PL.
yours are both good ideas (deki in midfield and sarr)
let's wait and see

I hate it because it'll never happen.
But I do like the look of Connor Gallagher,

A small part of me hoped that Chelsea would fall apart and we could drag him out of there. But as I actually suspected, they're not going away whether the bitter old Spurs fans like it or not.

I

I see that we have been linked to Matheus Nunes anyone know if he would be a good signing. I do not follow the Portugese League so I have no clue if he is any good?

Nunes is a forward thinking 8 that can also play box to box. Sporting play a 3-4-3 same as us and his role is slightly more advanced than Bentancur I’d say. He’s not an advanced playmaker like Maddison, Paqueta etc. but more forward thinking than any of our midfielders, he occasionally gets goals from runs into the box from midfield as well. He would slot right into our 3-4-3 and I think he could be the third mid in a 3-5-2 based on his skill set.
I will say I think he is slightly inconsistent and that might be the reason Liverpool and City haven’t made their interest concrete.

He also scored a gorgeous long shot last weekend:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom