Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well said. Poch can be blamed for the lack of development of KWP and maybe Tanganga. Not having Edwards, he went on.loan to Norwich and never played because he couldnt be arsed turning upto training on time and that was under Farke who was good with young players. Something went wrong somewhere, be it Hitchen, Mcdermott leaving,, several coaches leaving, the fact we dont pay big money to attract youth like Chelsea but the lack of loans whilst an issue was pretty minimal because the talent just isnt there in that 18 to 21 age group. Hopefully it will improve.

Agreed but didn't Poch come out and say he takes a bit of blame for Edwards not fulfilling his potential, didn't he call him mine Messi or something?

Bet that proper gassed his head :D

Agreed but didn't Poch come out and say he takes a bit of blame for Edwards not fulfilling his potential, didn't he call him mine Messi or something?

Bet that proper gassed his head :D

The Messi bit was over exaggerated by the press but he learned not to give them the ammo

"The qualities - it's only looks, his body and the way that he plays - remember a little bit from the beginning of Messi," Pochettino said.

"He's small, he's left-footed, I remember a little bit (Erik) Lamela when he was at River Plate, remember he had long hair, when he was 14, 15 years old, there is a lot of videos on YouTube that you can see, that he took the ball, didn't give a pass and shot straight away.

"He (Edwards) is a very good prospect and potentially he can be a top player, but we need to be patient and tell him that he has a lot of talent, enough talent to be a top player, a great player. But now it's how he builds his future, that's very important. And it's our responsibility to tell him."

We getting closer to that jackpot baby :levywtf:

FabELcVaMAA1hE_

Meanwhile a load of City fans are fuming with their board because they haven't spent any money this Summer...

We getting closer to that jackpot baby :levywtf:

FabELcVaMAA1hE_

Meanwhile a load of City fans are fuming with their board because they haven't spent any money this Summer...
Thats way off isnt it? Richarlison £60m, Bissouma £25m, Spence £12m, Udogie £15m. Incoming Bergwijn £25m, Carter Vickers £6m, Etete/Clarke £1m. I make that £80m NET. Even if you include Romero its about £124m?

Last edited:
Thats way off isnt it? Richarlison £60m, Bisdouma £25m, Spence £12m, Udogie £15m. Incoming Bergwijn £25m, Carter Vickers £6m, Etete/Clarke £1m. I make that £80m NET. Even if you include Romero its about £124m?
According to this it's £73m net.

Doesn't include loan fees either way though

According to this it's £73m net.

Doesn't include loan fees either way though

Romero was signed on a one year loan with option (which I think became obligation - but its academic, we want to buy) to buy at £42m

We have to exercise this window, so think you need to add £42m to the £73m (ie £115m).

Greek spurs fan Greek spurs fan ; ThePreacher ThePreacher ; cretinousgoat cretinousgoat ; Harrison_COYS Harrison_COYS ; Shotgunofmichalebrow Shotgunofmichalebrow ; Kazsam3 Kazsam3 ; Allejo10
I do not usually do this, but 7 disagrees got me quite interested.

Please, lads, come out and explain what about him feels like inspiring factor to you.

Age is quite objective factor. He is 28.

He is non-HG - thats a fact.

Regarding nationality - come out and bring me just few examples of Ukrainian or Russian attacking players in EPL who have been good in the long term. Cause from top of my head, I can put together list of either flops or players who were at best decent for a while and then faded - Arshavin, Sevtšenko, Yarmolenko, Pavljutšenko, Biljaletinov, Rebrov, Voronin. That is not even cherry-picking. These are pretty much all of the attacking players I could recall. Arshavin had his moments but faded fast. Others were straight up flops in England. Now I think Zichenko will do well and has done for City as well. And Zirkov was decent as fullback for Chelsea.

Regarding Moura vs Malinovski - to keep it short- Lucas has scored 38 and assisted 27 during 11730 minutes played for Spurs. That is goal or assist for every 180 minutes. Malinovski has 29 goals and 27 assists for Atalanta in 6400 minutes so one for every 114 minutes. BUT and there is HUGE but with these stats -
Atalanta is well-known for their free-attacking football that mean high number of goals scored (but also many conceded). Last season they scored 65 goals (5th most); season before 90 goals (1st in the league!); season before that 98 (by far 1st in the league). Season before that they were also on top in that aspect (though then Malinovski was not in Atalanta yet) - so 3 years top scoring team in the league. And despite two seasons where they scored 98 and 90 goals respectively - Malinovski part was 8 goals in both seasons. Roughly 9% of the overall massive goal tally that should inflate attacking players numbers compared to ... you know... normal sides and normal stats. Same season we scored 68 and 61 goals in league for comparison.

But what worries me most - Malinovski has played 3 seasons in top league in his career and he is already 28. And in none of these seasons he has been starter. His best has been 2300 minutes which is equal to 25 full games. While in Serie A alone there are 38 games + cups + in case of Atalanta of late also Europe games. Most likely ~50 games across season. And he has taken part in half of those. If we look at our other recent purchases from Serie A then Bentancur had played 3000+ minutes seasons for powerhouse that is Juventus. Romero had been nailed on starter for Atalanta. Kulu managed to rack up 2700 minutes for Juve and 3000+ minutes season with Parma.

So my summary is - Malinovski is a player that is in prime age, yet he has 0 seasons in top league where he has been certain starter. He comes from the region where previous attacking players have been a flop in EPL. He has been playing for team that plays extremely attacking football but his stats are not impressive despite that.

How does that feel inspiring?

Don't get me wrong - I am NOT saying that he would be shit. Or that we should absolutely not go for him.
I even mentioned specifically- Conte and Paratici have good knowledge about Italian league and football. If they think it is a good move and he could in fact be useful addition for us- I will cheer him on and hope that he would do brilliantly for Spurs.
Just based on the current information I am not optimistic about him. Would be happy to been proven wrong ;) .
I don't second guess Conte. After Kulusevski people should have learned. His age is irrelevant if they think he can add to our title aspirations goid enough for me. The hysteria from doubters when we signed Bentancur was insane full of all the doubts you have expressed. If they want the Ukrainian fine if they don't that's fine too. Hope that clarifies my disagree.

Numerous twitter accounts all claiming Ndombele arrived about an hour ago to do his medical in Napoli

I can confirm there was no McDonald's in sight.

Hopefully his loan to Napoli confirmed shortly - with majority of his wages off the books.

That would leave two players we almost certainly want to loan out - Reguilon (now behind Perisic and Sessegnon) and Winks (behind Bissouma, Bentancur, Hojbjerg and Skipp) - although their wages are probably a fraction of either Ndombele or Lo Celso.

Romero was signed on a one year loan with option (which I think became obligation - but its academic, we want to buy) to buy at £42m

We have to exercise this window, so think you need to add £42m to the £73m (ie £115m).

Is no one getting a little concerned at how many games he's missing?
I remember when Ledley started to rise to prominence and thinking we could build a team around him and be good.
Then the news came that he was fucked and we spent years and years knowing we'd be alright when he played but shit when he didn't.

I think given the state of finances, the ridiculous amount of money Romero will cost, and the even more ridiculous money another defender would cost if he's crocked, we need to really take our time on making this one permanent.

£42m might seem a bargain and it is if he plays most games. But it's a hideous amount if he' misses half a season every season and we need to buy another player to play there.

Numerous twitter accounts all claiming Ndombele arrived about an hour ago to do his medical in Napoli

I can confirm there was no McDonald's in sight.

Hopefully his loan to Napoli confirmed shortly - with majority of his wages off the books.

That would leave two players we almost certainly want to loan out - Reguilon (now behind Perisic and Sessegnon) and Winks (behind Bissouma, Bentancur, Hojbjerg and Skipp) - although their wages are probably a fraction of either Ndombele or Lo Celso.

Gotta be worried he fails the medical tbh,

Food Cheez Its GIF

So you want 2 x 16yr olds in the first team squad.......seriously.
Omari Forson went to Man U........disappeared into the ether.
Mourinho said our best youth were both 16yrs old...how right he was.
Nope, was saying, if we’d given KWP, Noni, Edwards the red carpet… not these U16’s. We might be seen as a structure which nourishes youth to full potential, right now we are nowhere near.

I remember when Ledley started to rise to prominence and thinking we could build a team around him and be good.
Then the news came that he was fucked and we spent years and years knowing we'd be alright when he played but shit when he didn't.

I think given the state of finances, the ridiculous amount of money Romero will cost, and the even more ridiculous money another defender would cost if he's crocked, we need to really take our time on making this one permanent.

£42m might seem a bargain and it is if he plays most games. But it's a hideous amount if he' misses half a season every season and we need to buy another player to play there.
Ok. Don’t exercise the buy option and then go out there and try to find someone as good and healthier for 42m.

Easy to make claims like this if you don’t have to bear any responsibility for being wrong.

His latest injury came from Sideshow Bobs little brother stamping on him. I do worry about the hamstring injury from last season but hoping it is not chronic. But what the fuck is wrong with the 4 out of 6 Argentinians we have signed, they have all had major time on the sidelines and the other two are Fazio and Gazzaniga.

Where are you getting half a season missing from? I mean seriously, comparing him to Ledley? King was crocked on his first game with us by Delap, who effectively destroyed his knee. Unless you have some intel that Romero has a similar issue, then don't you think you're being just a tad over the top? I mean, why aren't you saying the same thing for Richarlison who cost more, or Kulusevski who will cost a similar amount? Christ, should we just not buy any player with an injury record?

To my knowledge, Romero's injuries are incidental knocks or strains, which is par for the course in his position, hardly worthy of the angst you are projecting here.

FWIW as well, what we are going to pay for Romero is relative peanuts compared to the prices being bandied about for other "prospects."

Back
Top Bottom