"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
So let me get this clear... the FA don't want us to sing it?
Let's respect their wishes, and send them a direct message of apology on Saturday:

Got it, ta... Thanks for making it abundantly clear what anti-semites Spurs fans are... and what we are and are NOT allowed to sing this weekend!
I much prefer your ticker tape, mate

Last edited:
As a person of Jewish heritage I will sing whatever I like and no tosser from the FA should be able to tell me otherwise. Have a whip round and take them to the highest Court in the land!! Freedom of speech !!!

Racist thoughts and action says far more about the person they come from than the person they are directed at?

Using the word "YID -YIDO" can not be accepted at any level.

There must be an alternative!!

Racist thoughts and action says far more about the person they come from than the person they are directed at?

Using the word "YID -YIDO" can not be accepted at any level.

There must be an alternative!!

But that's precisely the point... When said/sung at WHL (by home fans at any rate) it is NOT fuelled by any racist thought or action whatsoever!
The context in which a racist says it, might be.... But then again, the context of ANYTHING someone who has racist tendencies and thoughts would most probably be offensive.

The other point that has been made, is that the origin (the ORIGINAL ORIGIN) of the word was not deemed offensive, almost the opposite...

It's only during relatively modern (post-war) history that the far right/neo-Nazis and even more recently (40 years or so) that many small minded ignorant football fans of certain clubs also took it upon themselves to CHANGE the meaning into something so negative....

Surely we're allowed our word back?
Or would people rather that once it's tarnished by scum, it stays tarnished, for ever?

The way we say yid is more to do with Spurs than anything.
For example "Jermaine Defoe, he's a yiddo" is more to do with "He is part of a club with a jewish background, Spurs"

If you think about it in basic terms, near every club/country's fans does shit like this, making a point that they've come from a specific place. saying "We come from *insert place*". (shit example but fuck you lot) Sports are sports, let it be imo.

In summary what I'm saying is it's fairly harmless for fans to say it at a match, leniency needs to be shown at a football game. Saying that, it's fairly easy to see when it's going too far, whether it be from a Spurs or rival fan

Last edited:
Saturday will be an interesting one....

Seeing as it's Yom Kippur, anyone inside the ground who is deeply personally offended due to their Jewish heritage, PROBABLY shouldn't be at a football match in the first place on our religion's most sacred day!
I may be Jewish by birth, but I certainly don't believe in God (sorry any 'God fans' out there) so to pretend to be religious for one day would smack of hypocrisy on my part...
That said, I'm proud of my Jewish heritage, and respect the history and traditions it brings with it... and ironically enough, that includes having learned about the TRUE origins of words such as 'Yiddisher' and YID!

....plus I have a ticket, and wouldn't miss it for the world!

Just lol'd at "Sorry to any God fans out there."

The only good thing out of this ridiculous statement is that hopefully the atmosphere on Saturday will be boosted slightly, with 30,000+ proud, defiant Yids singing their hearts out. At least I hope so.

So when West Ham & Chelsea come to the Lane with their usual anti-semitic behaviour, will the FA turn a blind eye to it again? Ask any football fan what do they associate the word 'Yid' with? and most will say Tottenham Hotspur. Being that it is mainly football supporters who watch football in enough to detail to listen to what the fans are chanting, who exactly are we offending?

There is no doubting that the word 'Yid' is an offensive word when used in the context to offend, but calling a striker who is openly Christian a 'yiddo' is not offensive. Calling a team with a whole range of different beliefs 'yids' is not offensive, calling our own sets of supporters (again with different beliefs) 'yids' is not offensive. I get called 'yid' all the time, not because I am Jewish (I'm catholic) but because I support Tottenham Hotspur.

It's like black people owning the 'N' word and calling eachother it, even though not a single one of them is a slave. No one cares. It becomes offensive when the opposite party use in the view of wanting to offend (aka West Ham, Chelsea, Lazio, The middle-east, John Terry...) sort out the offenders and then we MIGHT talk. Until then...

WE'RE TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR AND WE'LL SING WHAT WE WANT...

Thought the police already said they wouldn't charge any spurs fans for the way they use the word "Yid".

The club are meant to be issuing a response this afternoon, that will be interesting! I just hope they have a good look before they issue it, they know what goes on home and away and if they come down on the Baddiel bandwagon I can see a lot of unhappy bunnies at the Lane on Saturday. Can I say bunnies?

Baddiel's tour starts next month, how about an 1882 event at one of the gigs?

It also explains why he is desperate for media exposure.

Reading some of the replies he's retweeting. "if anyone disagrees they've missed the point". Don't know what he said on talkSPORT but that seems utterly ridiculous to say he's right and everyone who disagrees is wrong. Also stuff about people who say Yid Army are ignorant, though I'd have to hear what he's said before I can agree/disagree with any of it

Back
Top Bottom