Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's the thing though he should have options to pass it short as Brentford play with 3 at the back there should be plenty of angles for him plus the option of passing to midfield.

But yeah he's seems to command his box well, seems a decent enough shot stopper and he's gettable.

He should be they play really direct and the CB's aren't best in the buildup...

Is Raya really the answer don't want to shit on him but he really isn't great at short passing or building from the back from what I have seen. Something that Ange seems to want

His kicking game is much more suited to quick counters and long passing something Brentford prefer they don't really build from the back.

Just looking at the numbers his short passing stats are similar to De Gea and Lloris, he's actually less accurate than both.

All of Kepa, Steele, Alisson, Ederson, have double the amount of short passes than Raya while hitting around 95% accuracy. Raya passes short far less while hitting just above 85%.

Loved to be proved wrong but I'm not sure he's that comfortable with his feet regarding playing out from the back. Passing long he's very good.
Think a lot of it is how Brentford set up and how they want to attack teams. Toney positions for a long ball, midfield hunts for the break in front, Mbuemo runs beyond. Lots of chipped balls to Rico Henry on the flanks.. he's rarely expected to pass between the lines to midfield and cb's rarely pull wide or want the ball under pressure. Now, maybe he might not be elite at passing short, but he can control and kick well with both feet, I think he's a great option, and hg to go with that. His short passing well reviewed in his two appearances for Spanish national team when the team is set-up to keep possession that way

But Postecoglu doesn't officially start his role until 1st July (according to his wikipedia page).
You don’t think he had already had conversations with the club about the squad who to get and who to go.

They will be passing targets by him and most likely started discussing a while ago.

But this still comes off as agent driven to create a market for the player. Maddison had checked out of Leicetser long before the season ended.

Not convinced personally but he's homegrown and knows he can perform in the prem.

Can he really play as an 8?

Think a lot of it is how Brentford set up and how they want to attack teams. Toney positions for a long ball, midfield hunts for the break in front, Mbuemo runs beyond. Lots of chipped balls to Rico Henry on the flanks.. he's rarely expected to pass between the lines to midfield and cb's rarely pull wide or want the ball under pressure. Now, maybe he might not be elite at passing short, but he can control and kick well with both feet, I think he's a great option, and hg to go with that. His short passing well reviewed in his two appearances for Spanish national team when the team is set-up to keep possession that way
Well hopefully it's down to how Brentford set up but will still have my reservations as to how his short passing accuracy is so low considering he doesn't pass short often. Whether that's to do with Brentford as a whole or he might be a bit overated in this regard

He's hardly been ripping up the league though has he, I'm not saying he's shit but he didn't really stick out as being anything special last season, that I remember.

Wasn’t his best last season but prior 2-3 seasons was top in 3 AM’s in the league. We ain’t getting another better that’s for sure in that role. Alex Scott from Bristol is a more long term AM.

Well hopefully it's down to how Brentford set up but will still have my reservations as to how his short passing accuracy is so low considering he doesn't pass short often. Whether that's to do with Brentford as a whole or he might be a bit overated in this regard
Hmm. So on eye test there's just no
comparison to Raya with those two re. composure on ball or ability to loft a short pass. Flicking through a few numbers here

Raya two seasons in PL with Brentford:
Short passes, 137/138 and 131/ 135, completion 99% and 97%. Medium passes 302/310 and 463/473, completion 97% for both seasons.

Championship seasons then you have Brentford playing a different style, probably 20% more possession per game.
Short passes 342/346 and 348/350, 98% completion both seasons. Medium passes 683/691 and 821/840, 98% and 97% completion.

Whatever the case, hopefully the club analyse available goalkeepers well and make the right call.

He's hardly been ripping up the league though has he, I'm not saying he's shit but he didn't really stick out as being anything special last season, that I remember.

Leicester were poor last season and not many players shone in that team, he was very good the season before though.

Back
Top Bottom