We: The Yid Army

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think although cost is a problem quite often, my main problem is availability. As a bronze member if I happen to have money in the bank at the time of the tickets going on sale, I can get myself one, but I can't get one for a mate or my other half, because they aren't bronze members themselves. Hate that rule.

empefour said:
The people I used to go with about 10 years ago have stopped attending matches because of cost. I've recently paid £51 for a***nal and £59 for Chelsea. That's £110 for 3 hours 'entertainment'. Some of my mates have families, and can't justify spending that kind of cash when both games are live on tv

But have they actually been priced out of going or is it a conscious choice for them to just refuse paying over a certain level.......is their support based on the cost of going being incidental to their wealth......

there are plenty of teams I wouldn't bother opening my curtains to watch, clearly that isn't the case with Spurs - it could even be argued that the ticket prices for many matches are too low given that virtually every match is a sell out

Personally I think football tickets are over priced but you've got rise tinted glasses on if you look back with fondness at a time when tickets were ten a penny and don't question why they were so easy to come by........something must not have been too great about the whole match day experience

I don't think its rose tinted glasses at all nor do I think its idelness if fans don't go. Every year my ticket is increased so I understand inflation, but there's no getting away from the fact that football is very expensive and not everyone can afford to go. It doesn't mean they are less passionate about their team than regular goers.

Blanchflower said:
...there are plenty of teams I wouldn't bother opening my curtains to watch, clearly that isn't the case with Spurs - it could even be argued that the ticket prices for many matches are too low given that virtually every match is a sell out...

The answer to that is simple, and it's definitely not raising tickets to price out the average supporter, white hart lane is simply too small. More seats leads to more revenue, hell maybe even with the possibility of prices actually going the opposite way a little bit (i know i'm dreaming...) while investment still increases.

Flav said:
... it was a cacophony of noise, it was everything we had hoped it would be, and more. Neigh. It was the one of the best moments of our Tottenham supporting lives. Passion. Pride. Energy. Everything that following football was once about. And it was fiver on the door....
I was just re-reading the original - and it's an awsome bit of writing - so sorry for being so pedantic to bring this up, but 'Neigh' is the noise a horse makes. I think 'nay' is how it's spelt.

Again, sorry, it just made me laugh to think of a rousing Churchillian speech with a random horse noise in the middle. I must be pissed.

Still find it bizzare when I go to Israel and see Chelsea flags. If only they knew...
I was there last Feb and surprised how little presence or relevance Spurs had .
Talking to a bunch of very friendly 19 years ish jewish lads kicking a ball around , their families originally from Iran, Algeria and Eastern Europe had no knowledge of us and all supported Madrid. They all wanted to be identified with winners not cultural bonds , if there are any really. This was at Tiberius on the sea of Galilee .
The odd Sports bar l saw in Tel Aviv nothing there . Many recent arrivals from Russia have no links to anything in Western Europe.
AS from a Christian heritage it was hard maybe to break down barriers.

Talking to a bunch of very friendly 19 years ish jewish lads kicking a ball around , their families originally from Iran, Algeria and Eastern Europe had no knowledge of us and all supported Madrid. They all wanted to be identified with winners not cultural bonds , if there are any really. This was at Tiberius on the sea of Galilee .
The odd Sports bar l saw in Tel Aviv nothing there . Many recent arrivals from Russia have no links to anything in Western Europe.

Ye I diddnt notice us having much of a presence. Girl working in our hostel was a manu fan but said she kinda supported us because "we're the yid army" ha.

Ye I diddnt notice us having much of a presence. Girl working in our hostel was a manu fan but said she kinda supported us because "we're the yid army" ha.
I went to Jericho in the Palestinian controlled area and while munching a falafel and having a beer was surprised the Arabs new more about us than any Jews l met .
I was staying in Jaffa for a week and had dinner at a couple of Christian Arab houses. The greatest hospitality and kindness l have ever experienced. They were very well educated and in Israel are the most prosperous community . They are torn between their loyalty to the Jewish state for their success as a minority but always will be Arabs even if not Muslims . They were fascinated by English football.

I went to Jericho in the Palestinian controlled area and while munching a falafel and having a beer was surprised the Arabs new more about us than any Jews l met .
I was staying in Jaffa for a week and had dinner at a couple of Christian Arab houses. The greatest hospitality and kindness l have ever experienced. They were very well educated and in Israel are the most prosperous community . They are torn between their loyalty to the Jewish state for their success as a minority but always will be Arabs even if not Muslims . They were fascinated by English football.

Nice! I worked not far from Haifa on an ngo project and travelled around with the missus for a couple of months. Bloke I worked with was a Liverpool fan because of yossi benayoun! Sadly he died a year or so ago (only in his early 30's).

Real Madrid and Barca defiantly seemed to be the most popular.

What cultural bond is that? Do we sell platzels at half time? Slap mizuzahs on the stadium doorways? Shut down for Rosh Hashaneh? The only link is the once upon a time we were popular with Jewish football goers when there were a lot of Jewish Londoners. That was decades ago. Now actual Jewish football fans are a minority and plenty, sadly, support the scum as well. The idea of us being a Jewish club is mostly driven now by the fact that our owners and chairman are Jewish and by mostly gentile fans who have appropriated the identity, and the expression "yid", for themselves. For this reason I don't see why young Jews abroad should be drawn to us (or Ajax for that matter). It's also one of the reasons why I get a bit embarrassed when gentiles fly the Israeli flag at games as it neither represents the club or it's remaining Jewish fans.

What cultural bond is that? Do we sell platzels at half time? Slap mizuzahs on the stadium doorways? Shut down for Rosh Hashaneh? The only link is the once upon a time we were popular with Jewish football goers when there were a lot of Jewish Londoners. That was decades ago. Now actual Jewish football fans are a minority and plenty, sadly, support the scum as well. The idea of us being a Jewish club is mostly driven now by the fact that our owners and chairman are Jewish and by mostly gentile fans who have appropriated the identity, and the expression "yid", for themselves. For this reason I don't see why young Jews abroad should be drawn to us (or Ajax for that matter). It's also one of the reasons why I get a bit embarrassed when gentiles fly the Israeli flag at games as it neither represents the club or it's remaining Jewish fans.

You're right. Most find it abit odd I think. I do know an Israeli st holder though who I think started supporting us when he got here because of the "yid army" thing.

Found it odd when lazio (?) fans had Palestinian flags. The conflict really doesn't need football lads hijacking it...

Also to add to that. I heard a young lad sing "who the fuck is Palestine" in the torch before the Chelsea semi. Felt like giving him a slap but he was off his trolly and his mates were just ignoring him lol.

When in West Africa every second boy playing football had a second rate Arse shirt on , only an observation.
I agree with you and understand somewhat what your saying. I couldn't care less with our supposed Jewish links one way or another . Once again its only an observation and l state the supposedly bond as real or not .
I don't use the term Yid , or fly the Star of David as l agree it is an over exaggeration of any real cultural link to the Jewish community of London. I sit in the middle as the David Badilles of the world can knock but do little or criticise their own house of hate.
I think there are no answers but it's nice to be liked .

Back
Top Bottom