Djed Spence

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Watched him at Forest the year they came up...played RWB, decent going forward, slow tracking back. He's a front foot defender who doesn't like running back towards his own goal. He's also quick to get in front of the ball and not always at the right time. Nothing I've seen since suggests that's changed.

Can't see him making it with us, just don't think the penny will drop anytime soon.

The plot has since thickened, but apart from Warnock; you're using retrospective evidence to back up this statement:

"Looks like Spurs yet again failed to take hints about a player with attitude issues for buying them."

Why would Spurs heed (only) Warnock (esp. given what he's like) at time of signing when he had since been flying under Cooper at the time?

I still think the biggest mistake we made was not loaning him back to Forest for a year as an EPL starter....
It's not retrospective if it was already known back then. And I doubt that Warnock was the only one who "knew".
Anyway, I believe he's got attitude issues while you believe there is nothing wrong with his attitude. Let's leave it at that.
Ndombele was "flying" under Bruno Génésio at Lyon.
However, I do believe that Spence has plenty of talent and I sure hope he'll succeed at Spurs.

Last edited:
Interested to hear what makes you say that? Weren’t his shifts in a Leeds kit decent, although nothing amazing?
His general demeanour and mode of application.

He seems to be one of those, 'I'm conserving energy' type of players.

Just not got the dynamism and relentlessness needed for Ange.

Odd, really, as he has all the attributes and great pace.

Just don't think it's the style of football for him, tho.

His general demeanour and mode of application.

He seems to be one of those, 'I'm conserving energy' type of players.

Just not got the dynamism and relentlessness needed for Ange.

Odd, really, as he has all the attributes and great pace.

Just don't think it's the style of football for him, tho.

The two games I watched I saw exactly that.

If it really is about giving Farke attitude then the kid is clearly stupid because he had to be aware of how hard it is to shift the rep.

Let’s see. If it is attitude then Ange will clearly shift him quickly. Until then I’m open minded to see what happens with us.

Neil Warnock on Djed Spence (back in May 2022)

Warnock, though, spoke strongly about his potential during their time together at Middlesbrough, stating that how far he went in the game would be down to his mentality - something that had been called into question at the Riverside.
Warnock said: “There are not many players where you can say it’s all up to them personally how far they go – it’s what’s between the ears.
"He could be playing at a top club in England or in non-league in five years, I don’t know.
“Application, dedication, all these things come into it. He’s got the tools, there’s no doubt about that.”

After earning promotion with Forest, Spence took to social media to aim a cheeky jibe at Warnock, saying: "Oh, where's my manners! Welcome to Twitter, @Warnockofficial."

Warnock, while not everyone’s cup of tea, has seen, managed and coached enough players to know a player’s character and whether they will make it or not. These comments should have ensured we didn’t go anywhere near him. Fortunately we only spent about £10m on him

The two games I watched I saw exactly that.

If it really is about giving Farke attitude then the kid is clearly stupid because he had to be aware of how hard it is to shift the rep.

Let’s see. If it is attitude then Ange will clearly shift him quickly. Until then I’m open minded to see what happens with us.
I actually think what might be underpinning it could well be limited self-belief.

Something in him is holding him back.

Anyway, no time for it, here.

Has all the ingredients to be a beast.

Hope he crack the nut.

Feel a bit sorry for Spence. Showed loads of promise at Forest but it quickly became apparent Conte didn’t fancy him.

Had very little to show if some of the comments being posted are true.

View: https://x.com/ethanfromonline/status/1742994689018450360?s=46&t=fbqxNuG9CT4qTaiJx8mBjg

Lot of Leeds fans a pissed. This guy goes on a rant in this thread. Seems they might want to get loan players in different positions.

Watched the other week, his last game. Thought he played well (technically) and him being replaced was harsh (on about the hour). My gut tells me he hissy fitted about it, as Leeds used Dan James as a wing back, changing to a three.

Noticed he then got dropped, after being LB a few games and against the baggies was RB.

Delusion of grandeur reaction, I strongly suspect, shown in front of the group.

Shame if so, but makes no sense otherwise to go from first 11 several games, to being sent away (Farke put up with Edwards surly behaviour and lateness let’s not forget).

Watched the other week, his last game. Thought he played well (technically) and him being replaced was harsh (on about the hour). My gut tells me he hissy fitted about it, as Leeds used Dan James as a wing back, changing to a three.

Noticed he then got dropped, after being LB a few games and against the baggies was RB.

Delusion of grandeur reaction, I strongly suspect, shown in front of the group.

Shame if so, but makes no sense otherwise to go from first 11 several games, to being sent away (Farke put up with Edwards surly behaviour and lateness let’s not forget).
Your gut tells you that and you suspect that because?

You’ve met the kid or something?

Your gut tells you that and you suspect that because?

You’ve met the kid or something?
Tried to explain, he appeared to be playing fairly well and had worked his way in. Just strange to suddenly get sent back. Suggests to me he hissy fitted over being subbed enough to get his loan terminated.

Could be wide of the mark, but usually you’d get an explanation if it was “we are maxed on loans so unfortunately had to cancel Djed’s to free a loan space” or such.

Tried to explain, he appeared to be playing fairly well and had worked his way in. Just strange to suddenly get sent back. Suggests to me he hissy fitted over being subbed enough to get his loan terminated.

Could be wide of the mark, but usually you’d get an explanation if it was “we are maxed on loans so unfortunately had to cancel Djed’s to free a loan space” or such.

Could be a number of reasons.

If you failed to impress at a Championship club, what does that tell you?

It should tell him that he isn’t good enough and that he is at a crossroads in his career. He either decides to work his arse off and eat, live, breathe football to try and fulfil his potential, or carry on as he’s doing and watch his career go down the fucking toilet.

He hasn’t got to look far around Spurs to see an example of it. Ndombele is one of the most naturally gifted footballers around, yet because he has a horrendous attitude and work rate and penchant for BigMac’s, he’s currently in Turkey.

Always staggers me seeing players throw away the opportunities they’re given. Such a waste of talent. Hopefully Djed can be an exception to the rule.

Back
Top Bottom