Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just don't think he's ever going to match the hype that's been created by his unexpected England performances.

Everyone else thinks he's a World beater when in reality (I think) he's only scored one and assisted none for us this season.

Actually had a back and forth with a fella at Villa Away about Townsend.

He said he was mustard, and that he was much better than anyone we'd signed in the summer. I disagreed and wondered why Lamela was benched. He wouldn't have it. Townsend is the future. I told him Townsend was overrated.

About 30 seconds later we went one nil up............... :townhmm:

So The Goat recons we are after an u21 striker playing in Holland..any of you dutch guys on here seen any paper talk on this?

Depay/Castaignos/Locadia/ are the only players I could think off being worthy of signing. And I'm not even sure they are in the u21 squad. Would be delighted with any of them.

Depay/Castaignos/Locadia/ are the only players I could think off being worthy of signing. And I'm not even sure they are in the u21 squad. Would be delighted with any of them.
Narsingh? (I have no idea if he is in the U21 squad...)

I think Townsend is great too. He can start with Lamela too with Andros on the left and Lamela on the right in a 433 (which is what I've wanted all season). Not only does this help us combat the problem of Lamela and Towsend not being renowned at tracking back, we get to see them in the forward position where they become direct threats. Whether Soldado or Ade is in the middle isn't too important to me, as they can both do a job there. The 433 would also put Eriksen in his favoured formation and position at the head of the 433 with Sandro anchoring and one of Dembele/Paulinho/Bentaleb/Holtby alongside them in the middle.

Townsend is a great prospect for us even with his supposed greediness..still think he did what he could as he was looked upon with the same expectation after his hype with Bale and as a young lad he wanted to replicate that and try to help us win.. but even that greediness can be coached out of him. he's laughed with fans about shooting too much on twitter and he knows it's a problem that he should work on (as does Sherwood)

I'm sure he is selected for the fullteam. Don't think he brings more than Lennon could. He is an RW.

A mate of me tells me he isn't that good (yet). Maybe if he is in form, he could be something for us. But he tells me, he quite strong (and fucking fast) for a winger. And he is able to score the odd goal.

He's with the full team now I think.. and more of a winger than a striker
I think Depay is too? Bakkali @ PSV is meant to be a real talent as well. Not seen any of him.

It's not just his attacking play to me, Lennon, for example, is very good at tracking back and making a defensive contribution. I've never seen Townsend do the same and it's not something that he's incapable of as it's just a case of being determined - not any natural ability.
Saw Townsend do it very well for England, hopefully TS makes sure that Townsend is well aware of his defensive responsibilities, he has less excuse than Eriksen for example as he is quicker and wing is his natural position. It does worry me that Rose often leaves players as well which is far worse as he is a left back, having two lazy trackers on the left could be very dangerous. Love Lennon for how serious he takes defending, if Lennon had a better shot/cross imagine how good he would be.

short of producing a miracle, I don't believe Timmy will be in charge next season, therefore apart from Defoe there will be any sales in January.
Holtby on loan to Schalke wouldn't be a bad thing in my mind. He clearly doesn't fit into Timmy's plans so would be worth sending him back to Germany, get some game time and then come back in the summer to impress a new manager.
I think it will be the same with any of the players that came in during last summer via Baldini.
I can see Lamela going back to Italy again on loan but I don't think Capoue or Chadli will be going anywhere (unless they were seriously unhappy), again they will want to prove themselves to a new manager. I also think this will be the reason why It's unlikely we will bring anyone in this January. With Levy offering Timmy an 18 month contract I think he effectively wrote this season off to start again with the same squad next year with some new additions.

Regards Coulthirst at Leyton Orient. A lot of clubs will send their development players on loan with a proviso they can play for their academy team as well. I had to agree the same when I have signed youngsters.

This is probably more for the summer thread, which I assume will be started on 1/2/14 but with AVB gone I wonder what our chances of approaching Lukaku are. If we can get top four, and if Chelsea are committed to not playing him, he would be an ideal signing.

This is probably more for the summer thread, which I assume will be started on 1/2/14 but with AVB gone I wonder what our chances of approaching Lukaku are. If we can get top four, and if Chelsea are committed to not playing him, he would be an ideal signing.

Can't see them not wanting him tbh, he's done well again this season

Back
Top Bottom