Yellow?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who do you want in Yellow?

• Total voters
I like the traditions of the away kit being the absolute reverse of the home hit.

That should be followed through to the 3rd kit as well (obviously a different colour) with all three having the same identical, simple design.

I like the traditions of the away kit being the absolute reverse of the home hit.

That should be followed through to the 3rd kit as well (obviously a different colour) with all three having the same identical, simple design.
Home - White
Away - Black
3rd - Pink??:vdvhmm:

Home - White
Away - Black
3rd - Pink??:vdvhmm:

More like this:

tottenham_hotspur_1964-1965-e.gif
tottenham_hotspur_1964-1965-change.gif

and then Yellow third kit with the same general template

This season's Roma kits are that simple and appear to sell ok
Oh, do they? :levyeyes:

I was joking (being Levy). I completely agree that we should have an all-white home kit, and simple design. Fuckin love the Roma kits, they've been my favourite in Europe for a few years now.

I am a work at the moment so can't get access to the email but basically I got in touch with this agency that were contracted in by the club for branding purposes a couple of years ago and one of the things they advised Spurs to do was ditch Yellow as a club colour and stick with Lilywhite and different shades of blue and other dark colours only.

It really annoyed me last year seeing Spurs play in that black and grey monstrosity instead of our traditional 3rd colours of yellow.

I'll post the email correspondance later.

There were also comms regarding the increased usage of "Spurs" rather than "Tottenham" due to the fact that we were thinking of leaving the area, Sky Sports more commonly refer to us as Spurs now, along with Fifa as well etc.

I am a work at the moment so can't get access to the email but basically I got in touch with this agency that were contracted in by the club for branding purposes a couple of years ago and one of the things they advised Spurs to do was ditch Yellow as a club colour and stick with Lilywhite and different shades of blue and other dark colours only.

It really annoyed me last year seeing Spurs play in that black and grey monstrosity instead of our traditional 3rd colours of yellow.

I'll post the email correspondance later.

Be interested to see that, that's exactly what I was trying to get at with this thread really.

My scarf is an original from 1990/1 season. It's the home version but has diamond yellow and yellow in the logo as well. It's the one Lineker has on here. I'm not talking about about it being the dominant colour, just like 10%, enough to differentiate us from Real Madrid or Bolton!

spurs-1991-400px.jpg

Aware that Woolwich have often had yellow as well, but they have had a few years without any yellow as well. Then we launched that whole 'Glory Comes In Three Colours' thing a few years back didn't we?! I'm sure yellow was one of those!!

There were also comms regarding the increased usage of "Spurs" rather than "Tottenham" due to the fact that we were thinking of leaving the area, Sky Sports more commonly refer to us as Spurs now, along with Fifa as well etc.
I noticed that this year. Fuckin Blatter can not help but be a cunt. On par with :cunt:

I'm all for white & navy home, yellow away and navy & white 3rd....though I have to admit I like the purple kits we have experimented with.

All white for Europe only as far as I am concerned, though Hummel mid-eighties was an absolute cracker.

Is it me being OCD or does anyone else get irked when home/away shorts are the same colour (even if trim slightly different?)
Like this seasons home & 3rd kits shorts AND socks are both navy blue. Early 00's Kappa kit graced by Sheringham, Keane and, er, Doherty - shorts home & away BOTH navy.
Even '94 a la Klinsmann, shorts home & away both blinking navy - yes I have had issues with this minor detail for THAT long...

when you look at this you think why we not got a blue away and also a yellow http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Tottenham_Hotspur/Tottenham_Hotspur-change-kits.html

Don't even get me started on that one!
I've been banging the drum for longer than I've had a drum for a 'negative of the home/reverse' away kit;
Navy top, White Shorts, White/Navy socks... Lush!

ah, and an all-Yellow third...

...and a Chocolate & Gold Commemorative kit, or Sky Blue 4th if we must!

....then just leave it the fuck alone!

Be interested to see that, that's exactly what I was trying to get at with this thread really.

My scarf is an original from 1990/1 season. It's the home version but has diamond yellow and yellow in the logo as well. It's the one Lineker has on here. I'm not talking about about it being the dominant colour, just like 10%, enough to differentiate us from Real Madrid or Bolton!

spurs-1991-400px.jpg

Aware that Woolwich have often had yellow as well, but they have had a few years without any yellow as well. Then we launched that whole 'Glory Comes In Three Colours' thing a few years back didn't we?! I'm sure yellow was one of those!!

Here is the link to the company I am on about and their profile on the work they did with Spurs:

http://www.someoneinlondon.com/category/projects/a-brandworld-for-tottenham-hotspur

Definitely worth reading that lots of interesting tidbits. I then felt compelled to email this company because some of it just really pissed me off. One of the co-founder's replied and I have posted below my email I sent them and the reply I got back at the top....

"Thanks very much for your email.
It’s a good question — surrounding the yellow. Football is emotive. I completely understand.
The truth is, we no longer work on the brand sadly.
In fact we stopped working with them in 2011.
It was a relatively short engagement, where we were simply brought in to help clarify things by Charlie Wijeratna.
I didn't run the account... but I understand that there was considerable consultation between both the management and the fans throughout the process.
Charlie Wijeratna was our primary contact — but as you know he's moved on, and so our involvement has also moved on.
There was no dastardly plan surrounding the colour choice. The only thing we absolutely wanted to avoid was any inclusion of Red! (for obvious reasons) — and a greater focus on what the 'brand' is famous for — the lilly white.
The majority of our work was to ramp up the use of lilly white as the primary colour... and help create a better environment both in print, online and in the stadium regarding the cohesiveness of applications.
The best brands hold one colour dear to their hearts, and of course Football Clubs are no different. But most brands are really only famous for one thing... if you try and do too much visually it rapidly becomes cluttered and complex.
I'm sorry I can't give you any further news or insight.
Hope that helps a little.
Kind regards

On 9 Jul 2013,

Hi X,

I am writing to you with regards to the article on your website: (http://www.someoneinlondon.com/category/projects/a-brandworld-for-tottenham-hotspur) about your company’s involvement with your client Tottenham Hotspur in refining their brand image.

As a Tottenham Hotspur member and lifelong supporter I was intrigued to read on your website about the decision of “dropping the colour yellow”. Gary Holt of Someone mentions it as important to “de-clutter” the spurs brand by dropping the club colour of yellow which may have been “an intrusion of graphics over brand story, which ends up forcing in more corporate colours”.

This obviously fits in with the recent changes we have seen in the clubs brand presence over that past couple of years with the almost complete removal of yellow in all things related to Tottenham Hotspur and especially the away / change strips the players wear. The latter has been something of a concern to many Tottenham supporters, not just because we have dropped our traditional yellow away kits that we’ve worn since the clubs heyday in the 1960s but the replacement of yellow as a change colour to black and grey. Two rather bland and dreay colours that do nothing to enhance our global brand presence and two colours that have nothing to do with Tottenham Hotspur whatsoever.

It may seem like a minor issue in the grand scheme of things but supporting a football club can be quite a consuming passion.

I am probably contacting the wrong people here and maybe you could help direct me to somebody at Tottenham Hotspur who I could take this issue up with, which would be greatly appreciated (I know Spurs Commercial Director Charlie Wijeratna has since left the club). But it would be nice to speak to somebody maybe from your company find out a bit more on that decision to drop the colour yellow and how much involvement the club had in that decision, whether any fan groups / fans were consulted or whether it was entirely made by your company.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom