Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I agree, and having a PL winning captain as a manager is fantastic for us.

I just fear that our younger expensive players won't respect that enough to respond, but I'd hope for a lot better from our HG lot
same I've been massively disappointed by some of the HG boys.They generally aren't as good as some of our foreign players but I expect a lot more from them attitude wise. That's why I think, especially now, that players like Dawson should be starting. You know what you're gonna get from him, 100% every time, and I refuse to accept that he's as bad as some people make out.

same I've been massively disappointed by some of the HG boys.They generally aren't as good as some of our foreign players but I expect a lot more from them attitude wise. That's why I think, especially now, that players like Dawson should be starting. You know what you're gonna get from him, 100% every time, and I refuse to accept that he's as bad as some people make out.

I know, he works damn hard every match and, whilst he isn't the most gifted, he was so close to stopping that Eto'o goal and is the closest thing we have to Scotty put-your-face-in-the-way Parker this season, I'm just disappointed that, as Captain, a player like that isn't able to pass that attitude on to his peers

I'm loving Sherwood's new attitude. If the players can't respect him because he doesn't have an esteemed enough CV that's not his problem. He's the boss now. The inmates have been allowed to run the asylum for too long, I hope Sherwood is cracking down hard behind the scenes. I don't care what the players reaction is. If you can't summon the desire then I'm sure someone else will be willing to take that spot.

If the players can't handle Sherwood then they sure as shit won't be able to handle LVG. That guy's mantra is all about a player's mentality. He will be shipping out anyone who he doesn't think is up for it regardless of ability. It's time to stop pussyfooting around the players who have the ability to continually quit on managers with minimal repercussions. I love that Sherwood is demanding they take responsibility. You simply cannot blame a manager for when you give up on the field, that's a matter of lacking pride and desire not motivation. They've done it under back to back managers so it's hard for me to sympathize with their gripes.

Time to toughen up or jog on IMO.

yep, some people just can't forget Harry. Any English manager we have from now on will have an almost impossible task of winning the fans over as they just can't let him go.

There's certainly a strange self loathing of English managers and players that many in the fanbase have.

I think if Sherwood is in charge after the summer, the answer would be to buy a bunch of players who had played together well before (skips the gelling a little) i.e. the way Nolan/Carroll get on

Another season of gelling would be unbearable

There's certainly a strange self loathing of English managers and players that many in the fanbase have.

To be fair, we've had maybe 3 in 20 years (just nudging the Venables reign).

Francis, Hoddle, Redknapp. First two didn't cut it, the last one (I feel) let us down.

I don't think, at least from my point of view, there's a bad taste towards English managers at all, I just can't think of any that would be capable of taking us to the next level off the top of my head.

In the modern age of celebrity footballers, do rookie managers ever stand a chance at a top club?

he gets compared to "saggy chops" on a daily basis. It might have nothing to do with it for you, but others it definitely does.

In all fairness, he was brought in by him I believe and has close ties to him

Harry-Redknapp-and-Tim-Sherwood-2958858.jpg

The association has been put in place by both of them in recent months, too

To be fair, we've had maybe 3 in 20 years (just nudging the Venables reign).

Francis, Hoddle, Redknapp. First two didn't cut it, the last one (I feel) let us down.

I don't think, at least from my point of view, there's a bad taste towards English managers at all, I just can't think of any that would be capable of taking us to the next level off the top of my head.

In the modern age of celebrity footballers, do rookie managers ever stand a chance at a top club?

I mean what managers have "cut it" here in the last twenty years?

As I said previously, by and large I agree with the sort of things he is saying - I just dont like that he is doing it in public.
Its usually the actions of a desperate manager about to lose his job, one who has no other ideas or solutions. These things should be kept out of the public realm, once you get a manager mouthing off like that 99% of the time it gets worse and not better.
And lets be frank, its cheaper and easier to change manager than actually let him clear people out he doesnt like and try to rebuild. I am certain if it comes to it Levy will have Sherwood clearing out his locker long before he lets him clear out the players.
And to be extra frank, Ive havent seen enough in Sherwoods on the field enterprise to trust him to rebuild the squad. There is no real shape, game plan or style, there is nothing to suggest he knows what he wants or needs, aside from a "character" to bollock team mates on his behalf

I mean what managers have "cut it" here in the last twenty years?

Depends on the scale. In the premier league era:

The 'trophy' scale is a wierd one - Ramos & Graham both won the League cup, Hoddle & Redknapp both lost in the final. Did Ramos & Graham do it for us overall... not really.

The 'league performance' scale is also strange.. AVB & Redknapp are in our top 6 managers of all time based on win %, but that's widely disputed too

The answer is, no one. That's why we don't have the same guy in now, I guess. Vacancy for success.

The 'trophy' scale is a wierd one - Ramos & Graham both won the League cup, Hoddle & Redknapp both lost in the final. Did Ramos & Graham do it for us overall... not really.

The 'league performance' scale is also strange.. AVB & Redknapp are in our top 6 managers of all time based on win %, but that's widely disputed too

The answer is, no one. That's why we don't have the same guy in now, I guess. Vacancy for success.

Exactly, so the bias against an English manager makes no more sense than bias against a Dutch, Swiss, Spanish, Portuguese, Argentinian, Scottish, or French manager.

I think for a team of our level, the league will always be the most important objective until we can firmly make that final step a bit further.

The win percentages don't mean a lot because back in the day managers had a lot more time. Bill Nicholson is well down the table, and that's because there were some pretty questionable periods over the years he was in charge, yet he is remembered for the double and therefore regarded as a successful club institution.

It just goes to short you how much the game has changed and how success is now very much desired instantly, both by clubs and fans.

Exactly, so the bias against an English manager makes no more sense than bias against a Dutch, Swiss, Spanish, Portuguese, Argentinian, Scottish, or French manager.

Of course, I didn't know there was one though (at least not from my POV).

As long as we don't get an ex gooner corrupt scottish bumchined twat as manager then I'm cool with it. And a league cup wouldn't change that for me :p

We're let disappointed and broken by a man with no career evidence of loyalty or success, evidently.

I just keep thinking how people would be reacting if it was AVB who was talking all this shit.

Most of us were very pleased when he said the fans needed to be better. Doubt the opinion would have been different regarding the players. Maybe cunts in the media like Neil Ashton would taken a different view.

The split is largely if you don't like Sherwood then you don't like these comments. If you didn't like AVB you didn't like his comments. Not too complicated. Personally, I loved what both had to say. We need a culture change from boardroom all the way to the fans. Sometimes you have to hurt a few feelings.

It just goes to short you how much the game has changed and how success is now very much desired instantly, both by clubs and fans.

I think it's about bang for buck, though.

I'd be more inclined to support and sing at every game for 5 seasons of peril if it didn't cost over £140 a game (travel, ticket etc.). If it were as it used to be, where it were a weekend working man's pleasure, then yes I'd enjoy it far more.

Modern football for you

Back
Top Bottom