Starting to forget the feeling

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As you've swerved being 'wrong' again, and have gone full circle, answer this one for me again (as you didn't last time)

But slagging him off and calling him names doesn't disguise the fact that the article has ambiguous quotes, in which none say he had a bad season.

Get over it...

ok... here we go...

1: Lennon does a lot of defensive work. Especially for a right winger. its becoming the best part of his game. Which yes, is probably not great, however the beauty of having Lennon on the right is that he has Walker behind. Those two link up, How many times do we see Lennon driving at a left back, walker bombs past, and Lennon plays a through ball.

So you want to go on record that Lennon and Townsend have good link up play? Some of the worst crosses I have seen in a season. 1 assist and 1 goal for Lennon in the prem? It's keystone cops on the right. And Walker or Lennon have to steam in to defend is desperate defending. Corluka had a better understanding with Lennon. Lennon and Townsend are part of the problem of the IQ when it comes to our attacks. I love Walker, but he's pretty bad at the cerebral side of the game.

2: you're judging everyone by hard stats, assists, goals etc. But theres 11 men on a pitch with many jobs to do. If it was all about assists and goals, games would be finishing 17-12. Look at Modric, yeah, he got the odd assist and goal... but the beauty of his play, was more that he got the assist, of the assist.

FFS don't get started on Modric. How about you watch all prem goals compilations for each season. You will find that Modric was not as involved in assisting the assist as much as you suspect. He was not involved in that any more than other midfielders and strikers. [/QUOTE]

3: your point about corners is insane. You're saying that Eriksen and Lamela being on the pitch would change how many "tiny dancer" players would be on the pitch. Lamela is 6ft, but hardly known for his strength. If he played, it would be at the expense of maybe lennon and Townsend... but more likely in place of a forward, or a midfielder. The players we want attacking corners, are Adebayor and Soldado.. Dawson Vertonghen.. perhaps Chadli. Well id say if Lamela is on the pitch... under sherwood... its probably at the expense of Soldado Chadli Eriksen, Dembele or Paulinho. Even if Lamela replaces a lennon or Townsend on the wing. How is that going to change anything from corners anyway? With our corners constantly hitting the first man? INCLUDING when Eriksen takes them.
We DO have a slight lack of scoring from set pieces problem... but i don't think dropping Lennon is going to solve that?

I'm having a hard time on that meltdown...I mean at the start you call my claims insane...Then at the end you say we DO have a scoring from set pieces problem. Is that stream of spitting feathers your version of agreeing with me that Lennon, Townsend, Rose etc don't help us from this aspect?

4: i don't think I've made my point properly with number 3 so let me elaborate...

You are right, that was hard going...

"If he had played Eriksen and Lamela, Eriksen would be taking them and only having one tiny dancer on the pitch would up our chances. But no, we are taking corner with Rose, Lamela, Holtby, Lennon, and Townsend making us look like a girls team."

That makes NO sense. firstly... Holtby is at Fulham and was hardly first 11.

??? Eriksen, Lamela and Rose are injured. Why would you bring up Holtby being at Fulham in my premise that we overload the team with short players who weaken us down the flanks, general defending and scoring from set pieces?

My team would have Capoue, Kaboul, The Beast, Paulinho, Dembele, Vert, Jan and Ade on the pitch at the same time . I would have a back three Van Gaal style because Lennon, Townsend, Rose and Naughton would get NOWHERE NEAR my team. It's desperation because we did not sign a left back(s) and our so called attacking wingers can't seal the deal.

Now read that list again and think of Eriksen taking the corner or fizzing in a free kick:
Capoue, Kaboul, The Beast, Paulinho, Dembele, Vert, Jan and Ade

And tell me I am insane for thinking that problem will be solved compared to Rose, Lennon, Townsend starting like they usually do. Often along with others who compound our issues like Holtby etc.

5: "Lennon, Rose and Townsend give us NOTHING"
at this point you went full retard.

Lennon 1 goal 1 assist in the prem.
Townsend 1 goals 0 assists in the prem.

6: "The same way Lennon kept out GDS, another player could be rotting."

Absolute joke. Your ridiculous agenda against english players blinding you once again.

Did you miss my post where I said Walker was one of my fav players?

against Gio Dos Santos... who's currently tearing it up... where... Villareal... not madrid or barca.. villareal.

You know it's harder to tear it up in a smaller team than it is Madrid or Barca right? So for this season for GDS in 23 league games to score 9 goals and get 7 assists is a good haul.

i don't even know what to say mate. You've had a mare. Do you ever think... Lennon kept him out of the team because.. he was a better player? with the right attitude?

Yes Lennon/Harry kept him out of the team. And don't use Lennon as an example for attitude.

Last edited:
My team would have Capoue, Kaboul, The Beast, Paulinho, Dembele, Vert, Jan and Ade on the pitch at the same time . I would have a back three Van Gaal style because Lennon, Townsend, Rose and Naughton would get NOWHERE NEAR my team. It's desperation because we did not sign a left back(s) and our so called attacking wingers can't seal the deal.

Now read that list again and think of Eriksen taking the corner or fizzing in a free kick:
Capoue, Kaboul, The Beast, Paulinho, Dembele, Vert, Jan and Ade

As much as I advocate the use of cloning to further our medical research and fight debilitating and fatal diseases, I wouldn't support it just to have an extra centre back, if I'm honest....

:adegrin2:

As much as I advocate the use of cloning to further our medical research and fight debilitating and fatal diseases, I wouldn't support it just to have an extra centre back, if I'm honest....

:adegrin2:

That is what I get when people can't stand me using Vert, Dembo etc. It's a transition period where I change up the way I type. Thought I deleted it.

I would summarise the season like this:
  • Not one of our players has had a great season in terms of statistics, with exception of Adebayor, who some could argue caused problems in the first place. Hugo has played well, but some numpty would bang on about how many goals he has let in.
  • Despite how tall or short our players are, we've been useless from any set play that's not been taken by Eriksen
  • Despite your distain towards Luka Modric, many would argue that we are in dire need of a player that turns defence into attack with one pass (like he used to)

Quite simple. This season hasn't been one to remember as the sum of all parts or even individually.

None of the players look happy with the exception of Lewis, but he's always happy :holtbytongue:

Also for the record, Gibbo, read this.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-squad-argued-two-hours-3235017

The lack of passion from the whole squad has been our biggest problem this season in my view. Seeing Vertonghen half assing things has been far worse than our "soft english core"

As for Modric? you clearly don't watch football. He did have a bad start to his first season at Madrid. Thats hardly unheard of is it? Many types of players are slow starters. The way Modric plays I'm not surprised at all he's a slow starter. He's the type that needs to know how his team mates play.
You keep talking about Bale, thats almost irrelevant. Bale and Ronaldo are the types that will get "goals from nothing" But its players like Modric that break up play and keep the ball that are responsible. You obviously haven't watched a single madrid game. Don't argue about things you haven't got a clue about.
As for madrid being top? nothing to do with the fact Barca are in decline, no?
Not the fact Madrid have a young squad whereas Barca are still playing with the players they had 5 years ago?

BBC Sport - Luka Modric: Real Madrid midfielder outshining the rest

Modric filling Ozil's boots at Real Madrid - Real Madrid News from ...

Modric's rise to prominence has given Ancelotti a key weapon in his ...

Lowe: Luka Modric's value at Real Madrid finally appreciated by Sid ...

This was from googling modric... i looked on 2 pages and narrowed the search to just the last month. But go ahead... continue... tell us more about how awful Modric has been. Please, do continue.
gibbs131 Gibbo son you've been completely ignoring this as well.

gibbs131 Gibbo son you've been completely ignoring this as well.

These are quotes from you links that you claimed I ignored:

Link 1: "Recruited by Real Madrid from Tottenham Hotspur for £33m in August 2012, the Croatia midfielder was in danger of being harshly written off as a high-profile, big-money flop. Appearances were irregular under Jose Mourinho and some Real fans wanted him sold, with readers of the newspaper Marca voting Modric the worst signing of the year.

Link 2: "Instead, Ozil’s replacement is perhaps an unlikely source: Luka Modric. Signed for over £30 million from Spurs two years ago, Modric failed to make any real impact in his first year in Spain, scoring just 3 goals and creating 3 goals."

Link 3: "From being voted as the worst signing of last year, Modric has earned plaudits for his performances this term..."

Link 4: "Luka Modric was signed at the very end of the transfer window in 2012. He cost over thirty million euros and the move cost him: he later said that not having a full pre-season with Madrid had made his adaptation harder. "The first year at a new club and a new type of football is not so easy for any player," Ancelotti says.

In February of last year, Modric admitted that he was not completely satisfied with his performances since joining. Two months before, a poll on Marca's website -- a readers' poll, note, not the newspaper itself -- named him the worst signing of 2012, the "fiasco," with 32.2 percent of the vote. Some critics too considered him a failure. Some thought he was, bluntly, just not that good."

So...Speaking of ignoring things, I said he was playing good now in one of my first posts in this thread. But it is pretty funny that you call me clueless for saying he had a bad first season...Then you post a shit ton of links proving me right: While ignoring the fact that I said Modric is playing well now. Just like with Spurs, the moon and sun had to align (broke transfer records) to give Modric the right squad to work with. Managers fired, money spent, different positions and locked Modric threads.

Like I said before, it was almost a season and a half before the Real Madrid based "what to do with Modric" threads went away. And all they had to do, was buy the most expensive player the world has ever seen to accommodate Modric.

Modric joins us: Worst ever start to a season. Modric joins Madrid: Worst start in decades (they had just won the title). Spurs spend big: Modric plays better. Real spends the biggest of all...Modric plays better.

It all adds up to a flashy little judas pass monkey who needs everything to be perfect to perform. And even then he's on 1 goal in the league...Pathetic. 30 shots! 1 goal. Classic gutless squib in the final third.

Imagine how many assists and goals that gooner Ozil would have with Bale and Ronaldo in the team.

Also for the record, Gibbo, read this.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-squad-argued-two-hours-3235017

The lack of passion from the whole squad has been our biggest problem this season in my view. Seeing Vertonghen half assing things has been far worse than our "soft english core"

As for Modric? you clearly don't watch football. He did have a bad start to his first season at Madrid

YOU POSTED A VIDEO TO PROVE HE HAD A GOOD FIRST SEASON.

Glad to know you are learning things chatting with ole Gibbsy.

These are quotes from you links that you claimed I ignored:

Link 1: "Recruited by Real Madrid from Tottenham Hotspur for £33m in August 2012, the Croatia midfielder was in danger of being harshly written off as a high-profile, big-money flop. Appearances were irregular under Jose Mourinho and some Real fans wanted him sold, with readers of the newspaper Marca voting Modric the worst signing of the year.

Link 2: "Instead, Ozil’s replacement is perhaps an unlikely source: Luka Modric. Signed for over £30 million from Spurs two years ago, Modric failed to make any real impact in his first year in Spain, scoring just 3 goals and creating 3 goals."

Link 3: "From being voted as the worst signing of last year, Modric has earned plaudits for his performances this term..."

Link 4: "Luka Modric was signed at the very end of the transfer window in 2012. He cost over thirty million euros and the move cost him: he later said that not having a full pre-season with Madrid had made his adaptation harder. "The first year at a new club and a new type of football is not so easy for any player," Ancelotti says.

In February of last year, Modric admitted that he was not completely satisfied with his performances since joining. Two months before, a poll on Marca's website -- a readers' poll, note, not the newspaper itself -- named him the worst signing of 2012, the "fiasco," with 32.2 percent of the vote. Some critics too considered him a failure. Some thought he was, bluntly, just not that good."

So...Speaking of ignoring things, I said he was playing good now in one of my first posts in this thread. But it is pretty funny that you call me clueless for saying he had a bad first season...Then you post a shit ton of links proving me right: While ignoring the fact that I said Modric is playing well now. Just like with Spurs, the moon and sun had to align (broke transfer records) to give Modric the right squad to work with. Managers fired, money spent, different positions and locked Modric threads.

Like I said before, it was almost a season and a half before the Real Madrid based "what to do with Modric" threads went away. And all they had to do, was buy the most expensive player the world has ever seen to accommodate Modric.

Modric joins us: Worst ever start to a season. Modric joins Madrid: Worst start in decades (they had just won the title). Spurs spend big: Modric plays better. Real spends the biggest of all...Modric plays better.

It all adds up to a flashy little judas pass monkey who needs everything to be perfect to perform. And even then he's on 1 goal in the league...Pathetic. 30 shots! 1 goal. Classic gutless squib in the final third.

Imagine how many assists and goals that gooner Ozil would have with Bale and Ronaldo in the team.

its-time-to-stop-posting.jpg

Pssst: I did not bring Modric into this thread off topic.

How could I ignore the hilarity of being baited by an old quote I said about Modric on another forum, me claiming years ago Modric would be better in a slower league, only for him to get voted worst signing of the season for Real?

It's Gibbsy gold. Long may cross thread (in this case cross forum) butthurt continue. I was bracing myself for it by the way. I mean nobody could say shit for the first season and a half. Now I am getting some "I told you so" style posts. It's been a while. Makes ole Gibbsy misty.

modric had a slow start at madrid and is now one of their best players. It isn't hard. dude. Srsly.

Srsly you just tried to convince me that he did not have a slow start. And claiming he is one of their best players when Bale and Ronaldo is in the team is pushing it. He's in form NOW. Does not mean he wasnt dogshit early this season.

You trying to one up me...I said he was playing well NOW and that he had a bad start and here you are parroting me? Whats next? You are going to start telling me how bad our English players were last night? Is there like a delay where you own me with information I already gave you?

Srsly you just tried to convince me that he did not have a slow start. And claiming he is one of their best players when Bale and Ronaldo is in the team is pushing it. He's in form NOW. Does not mean he wasnt dogshit early this season.

You trying to one up me...I said he was playing well NOW and that he had a bad start and here you are parroting me? Whats next? You are going to start telling me how bad our English players were last night? Is there like a delay where you own me with information I already gave you?
If you would have watched any of Real's games this season you would have noticed that Modric has been their best midfielder. Him playing next to Xabi Alonso is a footballing masterclass in how to run the middle of the field

Modric has been consistent the whole of this season

If you would have watched any of Real's games this season you would have noticed that Modric has been their best midfielder. Him playing next to Xabi Alonso is a footballing masterclass in how to run the middle of the field

Modric has been consistent the whole of this season

Nope. They were around 10 points behind Barca, and giving away a lot of goals THIS SEASON. Why do you think they paid so much for Bale? They were just as bad as they were last season early on.

And Modric is only playing due to the sale of Ozil (due to the price of Bale) and key injuries. He is playing well since Bale arrived. How can you fail if Ronaldo and Bale are in front of you?

Nope. They were around 10 points behind Barca, and giving away a lot of goals THIS SEASON. Why do you think they paid so much for Bale? They were just as bad as they were last season early on.

And Modric is only playing due to the sale of Ozil (due to the price of Bale) and key injuries. He is playing well since Bale arrived. How can you fail if Ronaldo and Bale are in front of you?
He's had a consistent run in the team, and he's been returning that with world class (yes, they are) performances this season. Not every player can adjust to a new team, language and climate in their first season. And now that Modric has bedded in, Real will be thankful that they bought him, as he'll be at Real for the next 3 or 4 years and will be churning out quality performance for them.

I suspect that a lot of players could fail with Ronaldo and Bale in front of them. If you're not a quality player, then you'll get burned in the big games in La Liga. Modric has shown that he's top quality

Back
Top Bottom