New Manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You're making a very passionate case for him over and over, but one thing you can't make a case for is his lack of experience at the top level and the fact that, yes, he is still a flavour of the month manager.

Curbishly. Moyes. Redknapp. Paul Jewell. Gary Megson. Owen Coyle. Avram Grant. Martin O'Neill. Walter Smith. David O'Leary. Seven-Goran Eriksson.

These are just a few names off the top of my head of managers who have either more PL and/or CL experience than Poch, or have, at some point, been a PL manager flavour of the month.

How many would you give the current job to?

But how many of those would you give the job over FDB to? its been 4 years he has been doing good things at Ajax, we know its a crap league, but he is doing a good job. Plus (unless you are tottenham) flavour of the months can work like with Rodgers or Martinez

EDIT: SIN BIN ME I thought you were knocking FDB, a cardinal sin! I see you mean Pochetino now! Yes he is a greater risk, Lister Lister clearly confused me by posting about both managers in quick succession, easy to do....

I've been told that the manager is already done and dusted but my sauce (1st team player) won't fucking tell me. I'll get it out of him soon.
If it isn't announced before the WC, could it be one of the WC managers?

Why one of them, and not a Martinez or Rodgers?

Of those listed I think he has more in common with these two than them.

I haven't really got any reason or eveidence to back up my theory, it's just a hunch I guess.

If we do get him, I hope your positivity about him comes to fruition.

But how many of those would you give the job over FDB to? its been 4 years he has been doing good things at Ajax, we know its a crap league, but he is doing a good job. Plus (unless you are tottenham) flavour of the months can work like with Rodgers or Martinez

EDIT: SIN BIN ME I thought you were knocking FDB, a cardinal sin! I see you mean Pochetino now! Yes he is a greater risk, Lister Lister clearly confused me by posting about both managers in quick succession, easy to do....
:roflmao:

At the end of the day there is risk with FdB as well. LvG was who I wanted and again there is risk, even if it was smaller. Save for hiring the gooner kiddie fiddler or coaxing Red Nose out of retirement there isn't actually anyone with Premier League experienced who has had sustained success or hasn't relied on success with the money at Chelscum or City. So when I hear all this talk of Premier League experience I, frankly, think it's a load of shit. Plenty of managers have had good season or two in the PL, only to suffer at other times. It doesn't mean a great deal to me. I'm more interested in what a manager has achieved, how long he has sustained it and when his football philosophy is. When you look at it that way FdB is a clear front runner over Poch and if the compared Poch to original candidate LvG is really is like comparing Sherwood to Bill Nick.

Dont get me wrong, Ive concerns of my own - just wondered if there was particular reason to put him in the shit list.

None at all, I can't back up my thinking. I just think judging a manager on one season (or half season) is too much of a risk for us. We have made the wrong choices in the past and we don't know enough about him to take that risk.
FDB knows what it takes to win trophies, this is the type of Manager we need.

:roflmao:

At the end of the day there is risk with FdB as well. LvG was who I wanted and again there is risk, even if it was smaller. Save for hiring the gooner kiddie fiddler or coaxing Red Nose out of retirement there isn't actually anyone with Premier League experienced who has had sustained success or hasn't relied on success with the money at Chelscum or City. So when I hear all this talk of Premier League experience I, frankly, think it's a load of shit. Plenty of managers have had good season or two in the PL, only to suffer at other times. It doesn't mean a great deal to me. I'm more interested in what a manager has achieved, how long he has sustained it and when his football philosophy is. When you look at it that way FdB is a clear front runner over Poch and if the compared Poch to original candidate LvG is really is like comparing Sherwood to Bill Nick.

Absolutely, its risk and FDB is the least risk guy out there in terms of box ticking now - in terms of LVG my dad is Man U, and he wanted Moyes out 4 games in as could see writing on wall. He is delighted about LVG already loving the interviews and the regalness in the way he carries himself, which shows what level he is at.

The funny thing is I wanted FDB even when LVG available, as I thought we were more in line with FDB and where he was at, I thought LVG always belonged at a top shelf side, FDB only managed at Europa and thats where we are for now.

None at all, I can't back up my thinking. I just think judging a manager on one season (or half season) is too much of a risk for us. We have made the wrong choices in the past and we don't know enough about him to take that risk.
FDB knows what it takes to win trophies, this is the type of Manager we need.
Made the wrong choices in the past AND the fans are not exactly in love with Levy at the moment. I think there could be a backlash if an underwhelming appointment is made. You only have to read the message boards to know that the fans are very split on the idea of Poch. I hope the club realises that a split fandom, after last year, is the last thing we need right now.

Gary Mabbutt was saying the other days how he reads a lot of the comments people make online. Hopefully some of that finds it's way back to the club from time to time, or, better still, Levy or one of his minions checks from time to time. I think taking the heartbeat of fanbase at the moment with regards to the manager is quite important for Levy to try and keep the fanbase behind him - something that he has had, more or less, to date. Whether he will factor that in or not remains to be seen.

I've been told that the manager is already done and dusted but my sauce (1st team player) won't fucking tell me. I'll get it out of him soon.

If that's the case then we might be able to guess it through players decisions or comments.
For example if Vert signs a new deal you could guarentee that it's FDB, or if Lennon starts to champion Southamptons season, then you know it's Pochetino etc..
The players are not clever enough to keep this a TOTAL secret.

If that's the case then we might be able to guess it through players decisions or comments.
For example if Vert signs a new deal you could guarentee that it's FDB, or if Lennon starts to champion Southamptons season, then you know it's Pochetino etc..
The players are not clever enough to keep this a TOTAL secret.
Unless they haven't been told. Might simply have been told that someone has been lined up.

If it's Lennon or Lamela, i'll give you a hand to beat it out of them, if it's Kaboul or Sandro. you're on your own.:dawsonlol:

Why are we big enough. Put yourself in his spot. He is working with a squad that I would argue is better than ours, and actually give a shit. He is working with a chairman that he gets on with, whereas our chairman is a vile cnunt. We can offer him absolutely nothing Everton cant. What recourses are you referring to, we have a net spend of zero in the last three years, and ยฃ6m in the last 5, that's hardly spending big, is it ?

Net spend is not a stat that proves anything. It's such a limited argument to make. In our case it is low because we have bought several players in recent years who have gone on to be sold for massive profits. Quoting that stat just hides the reality that we invested considerably more than Everton in recent years.

We also have an undeniable advantage as a London club when it comes to pulling power. Though it's true that Martinez might not want to uproot a settled family.

I'm not saying that I would necesarily come to Spurs if I were him, I think the task at Spurs is less attractive than it was two seasons ago when AVB took over and as you point out, he has a supportive chairman at Everton and wouldn't have that at Spurs.

But we are still a bigger club at this point in time. I'd be very surprised if we don't pay our managers considerably more than Everton, and though Martinez doesn't strike me as a money grabber, I'm just basing that on outward view; I've never met the guy. Behind closed doors he could be all about the money for all I know.

Regarding the squad, if he came in and had the budget he is likely to get, I see no reason why he couldn't start the season with a far better squad than Everton have. Some of their best players are on loan. Some others might be sold this summer. They don't have the same depth we have either, in my opinion. I think a lot of our players will look considerably better players under better management.

The area that Everton are far supperior to us this last season is the area of play on the pitch, team togetherness, tactics, and belief. All things which are hugely influenced by who the manager is. Whether it is Martinez or someone else, I just hope we get someone who can re-inject these attributes into our club.

Speaking of Pullis......to much boring football or worth a 5 month contract?

I certainly don't think he's a match for Spurs... but that's not to do with his ability. Pulis has not been playing boring football at all at Palace. He's proven himself as a top manager imo and apart from stuff like beating Chelsea and coming from 3-0 down against Liverpool, they were unlucky not to get a point away at City and Chelsea, they dominated the fuck out of some home and away games, he knows when to go gung ho for goals and when to play for a draw and be thankful for the point... he turned a shower of shite into one of the top three form teams in the league. Hardly boring. It's just a meeja narrative churned out by the same old pundits imo.... sorry to derail the thread, like I say I'm not advocating him for Spurs (think he's too clever to take a job like ours anyway actually), but it's an example of the thinking involved when a club like ours is looking for a new manager

Id wait and see on Pulis at Palace with regards to style. He took over a squad built by a man who advocates attacking, expansive football - he had little choice but to try and run with it. In the circumstances nothing else to do.

In a season or two, if they still play like that, then Ill hold my hands up. My bet is however they will be Stoke MKII.

Dont forget he spent a lot of money at Stoke and never improved the style of play, just got better at hoof ball

Id wait and see on Pulis at Palace with regards to style. He took over a squad built by a man who advocates attacking, expansive football - he had little choice but to try and run with it. In the circumstances nothing else to do.

In a season or two, if they still play like that, then Ill hold my hands up. My bet is however they will be Stoke MKII.

Dont forget he spent a lot of money at Stoke and never improved the style of play, just got better at hoof ball

Maybe true, time will tell. He seemed to instill a lot of belief in their players and get them to be obedient to his plan, which sometimes was to defend and play for a point, and other times to go out and try to win. I think their attacking players like Bolasie and Puncheon were awful under Holloway but became very impressive as attacking flair players under Pulis.

Back
Top Bottom