Football Documentaries

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone got some recommendations? Here are a couple I've seen recently.

Rise & Shine: The Jay DeMerit Story: http://jaydemeritstory.com

Great film about an American player who came to England with nothing but a dream. He played in the pub leagues and traveled around trying to get a chance anywhere in Europe. Eventually he showed well in a trial with Watford in a friendly against Zaragoza. Watford gave him a chance, and next thing he knew they were promoted into the PL. He ended up playing for the USA in South Africa in 2010. Truly an amazing story about a guy who just manufactured his own chances against all odds.

The Four Year Plan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Four_Year_Plan

This is the story of the acquisition of QPR by the group of billionaires and their eventual promotion to the PL. It provides great insight into how owners can meddle in football affairs, sacking managers left and right, etc. Really great stuff.

I love documentaries. I love PL. I love Spurs. What are some others I should see?

- Once in a lifetime: the extraordinary story of the New York Cosmos (I haven't watched it in a while but it's a great overlook of how the Cosmos made soccer fashionable in the States for a while, with some interviews from former players describing how good their life was for just playing on the same pitch as Beckenbauer, Pele etc).

- Argentina Futbol Club (about the rivalry between Boca Juniors and River Plate in Argentina. It doesn't provide a huge history of the fixture, but it really shows on a personal level how much their respective teams means to the fans)

- The Two Escobars (Watch it, watch it now. It shows parallels between Pablo Escobar and the captain of the Columbian national team in the early 90s, Andres Escobar. It also delves deeper into the subject of 'Narco Soccer' which is so fascinating. I couldn't recommend it anymore).

- Football's Greatest (30 minute episodes, profiling the greatest players that have ever played the game. Made by Sky, top quality. Also, have a look at Football's Greatest Managers if you can find them).

Thos are the ones that I can think of at the top of my head. I've seen more but can't necessarily think of them at the moment...

Literally the worst possible preview image.
The Game of their Lives is about the North Korean team at the 1966 World Cup, who caused maybe the biggest upset in football history, and their return visit to Middlesbrough in 2002.
They were the first Asian team to make it to the knock-out stages of a World Cup, and they created an unlikely cultural link between Middlesbrough and the DPRK that still continues.

Literally the worst possible preview image.
The Game of their Lives is about the North Korean team at the 1966 World Cup, who caused maybe the biggest upset in football history, and their return visit to Middlesbrough in 2002.
They were the first Asian team to make it to the knock-out stages of a World Cup, and they created an unlikely cultural link between Middlesbrough and the DPRK that still continues.

''This is my old lady who has lost all her teeth'' - Brilliant.

I've just discovered that ESPN recently put out some 'Soccer Stories' for their 30 for 30 series. Anyone who has watched them will know that the 30 for 30 series are brilliant documentaries for sport (the best I've seen). There's even one about Ossie Ardiles!

Most of them are on Youtube, and I'm going to watch one about Maradona's World Cup in '86 first

FIFA's new film about how great they are. Allegedly with script changes by Blatter himself.

The trailer is hilariously bad in that it feels almost like a parody.

FIFA's new film about how great they are. Allegedly with script changes by Blatter himself.

The trailer is hilariously bad in that it feels almost like a parody.

if they took the football related parts out from the trailer, i would think it's a trailer for a movie about a goofy mafia family.

Back
Top Bottom