New Manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is from Saints web.. They've been told he's gone.

From SaintsWeb:

Completely gutted. Don’t know how else to describe it.

Been doing this for years, but can’t remember such a gut wrenching departure.

Players come and go – Part of the game and I’m old enough to understand that once a players head is turned, it is very difficult if not impossible to reverse the situation.

I’ve read on here how Lallana and Shaw would stay. They won’t and never would have, regardless who was in charge, But I always felt we had a shout with Poch and I could have lived with any of the players leaving as long as we kept him.

May be the shock of losing him to Spurs is a measure of how far we have come (Trying to find some positives) but it feels like the last five years have just come to a grinding halt.

It wasn’t just the results, it was the football. Poch is and was the real deal. A complete breath of fresh air to the premiership and I loved every minute of it.

Don’t blame the board, I am sure we did everything we could, but the footballing pecking order has spoken again, the most annoying thing, is that we were so close….so so so so close to doing something magical. The irony for me is that we were a world class striker away and at 15 million we really went for it with Osvaldo…..it just didn’t work out.

Don’t give up on Saints, we will be back.

Heisenberg on SaintsWeb said:
Why is Spurs the graveyard for managers? Havent they had half as many managers as us this past 10 years?

LOL, 15 managers!

Gordon Strachan - October 2001 February 2004
Steve Wigley - February 2004 March 2004
Paul Sturrock - March 2004 August 2004
Steve Wigley - August 2004 December 2004
Harry Redknapp - December 2004 December 2005
Dave Bassett & Dennis Wise - December 2005 December 2005
George Burley - December 2005 January 2008
John Gorman - January 2008 February 2008
Nigel Pearson - February 2008 May 2008
Jan Poortvliet - May 2008 January 2009
Mark Wotte - January 2009 July 2009
Alan Pardew - July 2009 August 2010
Dean Wilkins - August 2010 September 2010
Nigel Adkins - September 2010 January 2013
Mauricio Pochettino - January 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southampton_F.C._managers

Last edited:

From SaintsWeb:

Players come and go – Part of the game and I’m old enough to understand that once a players head is turned, it is very difficult if not impossible to reverse the situation.

I’ve read on here how Lallana and Shaw would stay. They won’t and never would have, regardless who was in charge, But I always felt we had a shout with Poch and I could have lived with any of the players leaving as long as we kept him.

May be the shock of losing him to Spurs is a measure of how far we have come (Trying to find some positives) but it feels like the last five years have just come to a grinding halt.

It wasn’t just the results, it was the football. Poch is and was the real deal. A complete breath of fresh air to the premiership and I loved every minute of it.

Don’t blame the board, I am sure we did everything we could, but the footballing pecking order has spoken again, the most annoying thing, is that we were so close….so so so so close to doing something magical. The irony for me is that we were a world class striker away and at 15 million we really went for it with Osvaldo…..it just didn’t work out.

So surely he'll be announced tomorrow then? This wait is absolutely killing me! I just want confirmation :gomes:

If it is Poch, of course I'll support him, but it does make me laugh the way Saints fans seem to be going on. If we'd finished 8th, and with no European distractions, and little by way of Cup runs, there would surely be mass celebrations in Spursdom that we'd lost such a poor manager, and incredulity that another club would want him. Plus there would doubtless be all sorts of nasty comments, snide GIFS and all the rest of our charming fans' repertoire, that we saw to such full effect with our last manager's exit..

From SaintsWeb:

Can't help but feel for them. It looks like they're in for a brutal summer after such an inspiring season with their own young players. Have to imagine it's depressing for anyone in the lower tiers, as it's yet another case of a club making it click to make a surge to and within the Promised Land of the Premier League, and then being hacked apart by yet bigger fish.

If it is Poch, of course I'll support him, but it does make me laugh the way Saints fans seem to be going on. If we'd finished 8th, and with no European distractions, and little by way of Cup runs, there would surely be mass celebrations in Spursdom that we'd lost such a poor manager, and incredulity that another club would want him. Plus there would doubtless be all sorts of nasty comments, snide GIFS and all the rest of our charming fans' repertoire, that we saw to such full effect with our last manager's exit..

Mate, 8th is the best Saints have ever achieved and they reached their highest ever point total. Tottenham as of 2014 is on a level or two above Saints, thus our expectations are rightfully higher.

Should I add that I also think Sherwood was given too much stick

Mate, 8th is the best Saints have ever achieved and they reached their highest ever point total. Tottenham as of 2014 is on a level or two above Saints, thus our expectations are rightfully higher.
Yep, and Poch is going to find out all about those expectations. We're about the 6th biggest club in the country, and so 6th is about right for us, yet Sherwood got slaughtered while in the process of taking us to 6th, let's see where Poch takes us.

Last edited:
Like practically every other club, I can't stand Southampton and their fans,so they

Yep, and Poch is going to find out all about those expectations. We're about the 6th biggest club in the country, and so 6th is about right for us, yet Sherwood got slaughtered while in the process of taking us to 6th, let's see where Poch takes us.

There's probably no point quoting you, as you seem to ignore anyone who doesn't agree with you...

..however, the fact that people think Sherwood was all about results is bizarre. It's head-in-the-sand stupid. We got rid of a narcissistic weirdo, not a managerial genius.

If it's Poch, I am seriously close to losing my faith in Levy.

If it is, I will support Poch - but I will do it in spite of Levy. He's testing patience now.

Honestly mate it seems a bit dramatic to me.

Not my first choice either but Im quite happy with it and cant honestly see a major fault in Levy for choosing him.

Like practically every other club, I can't stand Southampton and their fans,so they

Apparently he is extremely ambitious, top 4 and/or a trophy is the brief......we all know that.

I don't buy the 'de Boer has no experience in the PL argument'. Neither of the two most successful managers in our history had any top level experience (of management) before they managed us. The most 'proven' top level manager we've had, before his appointment, was Graham.
I think that going from Ajax to Tottenham is less of a jump than going from Southampton to Tottenham.

Pochettino plays exciting attacking football that we all want to see again surely? Great choice in my book. Can't wait to see what he can do with our talented squad. Roll on August.
I haven't watched enough of Soton to know if this is true or not. The stats say they finished 8th and were joint 8th highest goalscorers along with Swansea. Under Sherwood, Spurs outscored them as well as gaining more points, but apparently we didn't play exciting football. Mmmmm....

Should I add that I also think Sherwood was given too much stick
I'm glad you added that about Sherwood, unless I missed it the first time round. This is precisely my beef, as a lot of people know on here :)

I haven't watched enough of Soton to know if this is true or not. The stats say they finished 8th and were joint 8th highest goalscorers along with Swansea. Under Sherwood, Spurs outscored them as well as gaining more points, but apparently we didn't play exciting football. Mmmmm....

You make a valid point, but I am very staunch of the opinion that we've played extremely unexciting football the last two years. Last year, we were fortunate to have Bale go superstar, and this past season we simply had sheer moments of quality overpower weaker competition. But we are extremely meandering, static, and horizontal in our buildup play and from the midfield in particular. Saints have one single player in their attack that would unarguably improve us (Lallana), and I think it's that sheer difference in moments of individual quality that held us afloat rather than playing attacking football.

Well Milan have appointed Inzaghi, so that De Boer theory gone, so would like to what went wrong with chatting to Frank, we will see in time

So that's AVB, Sherwood and Pochettino all appointments that gave levy the control, all owe him from the get go, why not a De Boer? Well maybe they want a keep your mouth shut coach and Baldini will do more? Doubt it, we'll see

As I said and Carlito the cheap option again

I have nothing against Poch I want him to do well, I think he will do better than last season, just wish we had a go for De Boer, maybe he turned us down who knows

Well Milan have appointed Inzaghi, so that De Boer theory gone, so would like to what went wrong with chatting to Frank, we will see in time

So that's AVB, Sherwood and Pochettino all appointments that gave levy the control, all owe him from the get go, why not a De Boer? Well maybe they want a keep your mouth shut coach and Baldini will do more? Doubt it, we'll see

As I said and Carlito the cheap option again

I have nothing against Poch I want him to do well, I think he will do better than last season, just wish we had a go for De Boer, maybe he turned us down who knows

Judging from Poch's two previous assignments, I highly doubt he's the type to shut up and allow things to be run from above. I hope and pray the arrangement will be Poch deciding areas of need, Broomfield to produce a list of players he likes that would be compatible to the role Poch desires, and Baldini goes to get them. Quite frankly, that sounds like a winning combination to me.

Judging from Poch's two previous assignments, I highly doubt he's the type to shut up and allow things to be run from above. I hope and pray the arrangement will be Poch deciding areas of need, Broomfield to produce a list of players he likes that would be compatible to the role Poch desires, and Baldini goes to get them. Quite frankly, that sounds like a winning combination to me.

Man I hope so more than anyone, last season was a fuck up of beyond spurs proportions, baldini has to step up and I do hope Poch takes no shit from any of the suits

Back
Top Bottom