Gutted

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In all fairness, there aren't really any on here who have been brave enough to say anything, except "I8AVB" who got binned.

Based on the thread, there's 10 people who want him sacked already and 7 who give him 'til Xmas.

I'm quite sure that they are made up of "casual" fans, who seldom see WHL, and trolls.

For the most part I think we've all been pretty united and supportive of the new manager, even though he wasn't the favourite from the fan's point of view.

Quite pleased with how our lot on here have been, we're all having a bit of a laugh and a joke again and looking forward to our new change. Some positivity is in the air!

#COYS

Like the guy, done great with Southampton so we will have a manager who has prem experience (not many of them come our way), he has a very good tactical set-up at Southampton, likes to play attacking football and has a good record working with youth players not to mention he might be able to steal one or two of the saints better players.

Saints fan in peace ...Gutted as well , but thought I needed to raise something with you guys .
Poch doesnt play attacking free flowing football !.....even Levy mentioned it in his welcome which is worrying !

The style of play you are going to see is pretty to watch and its great to see you team having 60 + possession but dont be fooled by it , its possession pressing football not free flowing attacking football. You will see a lot of play across your backline and picking into the midfield and back.
we didnt win one game from behind last season , because once the opposition score they dont care if you have the ball.
As i said gutted he has gone he was good for Saints , but as one fan to another dont be fooled by the possession % it means nothing , goals for are everything .

Wish you luck with new season.

Saints fan in peace ...Gutted as well , but thought I needed to raise something with you guys .
Poch doesnt play attacking free flowing football !.....even Levy mentioned it in his welcome which is worrying !

The style of play you are going to see is pretty to watch and its great to see you team having 60 + possession but dont be fooled by it , its possession pressing football not free flowing attacking football. You will see a lot of play across your backline and picking into the midfield and back.
we didnt win one game from behind last season , because once the opposition score they dont care if you have the ball.
As i said gutted he has gone he was good for Saints , but as one fan to another dont be fooled by the possession % it means nothing , goals for are everything .

That's the worry, as we had that under AVB and it didn't go down well seeing Dawson and Walker pass it back forth for a minute or so without any options.

Are you not misunderstanding the conservative play he used at So'ton? I think he was conservative because you guys were successfully punching well above your weight, if he'd have been more expressive with his tactics then you would have been slaughtered on the counter. I see it as him knowing what is right to do with what he has playing for him as opposed to a narrow sighted viewpoint.

Thanks for your input, but believe me buddy, anything more "free-flowing" than what we've had the last two years would be a massive upgrade.

Interesting about the attacking football. I've already mentioned Saints lack of goals last season, so didn't get where all this 'attacking' idea was coming from.

AFAIK under Sherwood we had a far better goals per game ratio as well as PPG than Saints, so I would suggest that looks very much like a step backwards in 'attacking' terms. I couldn't care less about 'free flowing', what I want first of all is wins, then secondly lots of goals scored by us.

Like good ole Gibbsy, I couldn't give a monkeys about the 'Tottenham Way' (is that just off the High Road incidentally :)

I want trophies and top 4, ie winning.

BTW, welcome to Poch, and naturally I hope he's a success, free flowing or not.

I think there are a lot of parrallels between Pochettino and AVB.
High intensity pressing, high defensive line, preference for the ball on the deck, defined system of play...
However I think Pochettino's way works better. A long ball out of defence is trained into them under the right circumstance, play is brought into midfield more to create space for a more effective attack. Players are free to roam, with others conditioned to cover...
With the quality we have I am VERY excited to see what he can achieve. With all due respect to Southampton, while they have some very good players, their squad doesnt compare to ours.

Funny thing is, is that if Pochettino is remotely successful at Spurs, he'll just fuck off to Monaco/AC Milan/Atheltico/Dortmund when they come calling.

Spurs are as much of a stepping stone as Southampton were, he's a career manager, and unless he gets some serious silverware, financial backing, team spirit and love from the fans can't see him here for anywhere close to the 5 years we've signed him for.

Funny thing is, is that if Pochettino is remotely successful at Spurs, he'll just fuck off to Monaco/AC Milan/Atheltico/Dortmund when they come calling.

Spurs are as much of a stepping stone as Southampton were, he's a career manager, and unless he gets some serious silverware, financial backing, team spirit and love from the fans can't see him here for anywhere close to the 5 years we've signed him for.
You say that but for him to take the step up again he'll need a lot of experience under his belt. The jump between us and the likes of United and Real is a lot bigger than the jump between Southhampton, in terms of managers anyway. Moyes for example had about 10 years of experience at Everton and was still doubted by many as being good enough for them. You only have to look at the managers that the top, top clubs in Europe have hired over the last 10 years to realise Poch would have to work absolute wonders over the next 5 years to make the jump this soon into his managerial career.

You say that but for him to take the step up again he'll need a lot of experience under his belt. The jump between us and the likes of United and Real is a lot bigger than the jump between Southampton, in terms of managers anyway. Moyes for example had about 10 years of experience at Everton and was still doubted by many as being good enough for them. You only have to look at the managers that the top, top clubs in Europe have hired over the last 10 years to realise Poch would have to work absolute wonders over the next 5 years to make the jump this soon into his managerial career.

I deliberately avoided any of the 'big 5' (Real, Barca, Man U, Bayern, Juve) but of course you make a point.

name one manager we have let go - who has gone on to bigger and better things

Saints fan in peace.
To those of you bitching and moaning about MP let me give you some context.

I am and have been a Saints fan for over 30 years. Season ticket holder since I was 7 (With the exception of two separate years - when kids and finances dictated) and have seen players and managers come and go, which is part of the game.

I've seen players like Channon, Ball, Shilton, Wright, Keegan, Williams, Wallace, Shearer, Hoddle (You lot again) Walcott, Bale, Chamberlain etc. etc. all leave.
Not one of those departures hurts as much as this one.
I genuinely think you now have one of the best managers in the league. He is completely different from anything else you have seen. Not all players will survive his arrival - Including big names, but for those of you that are moaning..... take yourselves back to the first half at White Hart Lane against the Saints...... We battered you, humiliated you and then gave away a bizarre goal and let you back in. Your squad won't let that happen - More maturity, depth and quality.

Enjoy the ride - And you will get one.

Thanks, good to have perspective from a Saints fan.

When Redknapp came to us, a lot of people didn't think he would do well but I knew he would because I had seen what he could do at Portsmouth (sorry, but Portmouth fans in the family) so I had paid a fair amount of attention to how he did there and knew what we were getting. Effectively, he was underrated at that point.

I know less about Poch. His win % worries me, but it does seem that most all Saints fans rate him, so that is encouraging. Similarly, I hope that Poch is underated...or at least, not overrated.

Back
Top Bottom