What football books are you reading at the mo?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've ordered the Secret Footballer book. Hopefully that should be delivered to me today
Just finished it while on holiday.

Really enjoy the insight into football, totally not what you expect at times.

Also, do you know who the secret footballer is supposed to be? (Some very good research has gone into finding out who it is).

Just finished it while on holiday.

Really enjoy the insight into football, totally not what you expect at times.

Also, do you know who the secret footballer is supposed to be? (Some very good research has gone into finding out who it is).
I don't know who it is. Rumours are that its Dave Kitson but I can't see it

I don't know who it is. Rumours are that its Dave Kitson but I can't see it
There is a Danish journalist who figured it out by narrowing down quotes from the first book. He has players such as Danny Murphy and Kevin Davies, etc
But yeah, he got it down to two players, can't remember the other and Dave Kitson.

There's a video on YouTube, where he even pretended to be some magazine or something and asked him himself, while he was at Sheffield United, one in particular, being a question about going abroad on holiday when he was younger, to which he replied, 'My dad wasn't one to sit on beaches, so we always went to places such as Denmark', and that is exactly what he said in the first book somewhere.

Very good work by that journalist I thought. If you want to watch it, the video is here, only 4 mins long.

Currently reading "I am Zlatan" which is actually quite interesting although the translation is rather awful. Also bought but haven't started reading "Golazo" by Andreas Campomar. The book analyzes the history of Latin America (starting with the Aztecs) and its connection to football and how it has shaped Latin America as a whole and the individual countries. I'm really looking forear to starting it

Recently read Vertigo by John Crace which was brilliant. I read another book called Number 10s which selected 10 great players who played in that role, the book was fairly average, I forget the author now.

The Boys From White Hart Lane is a great book to read if (like me) you have an interest in the great Spurs sides of the 80s.

I want to get the Glory Game by Hunter Davies, that's meant to be a great read.
The Glory Game is a must read for every Spurs supporter, I bought it at the time and it was quite controversial then. I lent it to someone, never got it back and had to buy the reissue, which includes an update, which is worth a read on its own.

I read 'Arry's autbiography as BF got it for Christmas, must admit a much better read than I expected (quite nostalgic) but there was a part of me which wondered how much was actual truth and how much was 'Arry's version, but still quite entertaining. Re-read Stevie's a few times but there is a huge misprint in it - no mention of our wedding!!!! Got most of the autobiographies written by Spurs players (and signed) - Hoddle, Waddle, Roberts, Ginola, Villa, Ardiles,Clive Allen but most interesting in my opinion was Mabbsie's, also Billy Nick's was like reading a history of Spurs. Thought Alan Sugar's was mostly a bore-fest. Think I will treat myself to Roy the Kitman's book, sounds a good read.

The Glory Game is a must read for every Spurs supporter, I bought it at the time and it was quite controversial then. I lent it to someone, never got it back and had to buy the reissue, which includes an update, which is worth a read on its own.
I'm a bit of a book nerd, and I bought 6 first editions of 'The Glory Game' about 15 years ago for not a lot, and they are going up in value quite nicely. I've got an American 1st edition as well where the wages and transfers are in dollars. I'm sad.

Currently reading, PROVIDED YOU DON'T KISS ME: 20 YEARS WITH BRIAN CLOUGH, by Duncan Hamilton, very well written, really enjoying it, would recommend Tony Cascarino's Book, forget name of it, but as a journey man in the 80s-90s its very refreshing compared to most of the books from last 20 years or so.

Books I've read in the last few months:

- I am Zlatan
- Andrea Pirlo: I think Therefore I Play
- Teambuilding: The Road to Success (Rinus Michels)
- Pep Guardiola: Another way of Winning
- Stillness and Speed: My Story (Dennis Bergkamp)

I recommend all of them, but for different reasons. The Michels book is strictly for the coach IMO, it's pretty heavy in parts and the casual reader will find it boring. Zlatan's book is pretty hilarious in all honesty, some of the shit he comes up with is brilliant. Pirlo is similar, but much more intellectual - the writing is superb! The Guardiola book is really good, Ballague gives a good insight into how he made that spectacular team, his coaching ideas etc. But the best out of the lot is the Bergkamp book. Despite being about a Gooner, the detail he goes into the professional game and football itself is superb. There is there quintessential brilliance about Dutch players and how they talk about the game that you wouldn't get from the likes of Wayne Rooney or John Terry. It's the best football book I've ever read - highly recommended!

I thought it was good. The writing style is really good and there's a lot of good anecdotes in there. What holds it back for me is that it's so short. Quality over quantity is fair enough, but 150-odd pages is tiny!
I just didn't find a lot of it interesting, scaring Gattuso, winding up Nesta, accusations against Deportivo La Coruna, it just didn't particularly do much for me, it's fairly well written but I don't feel I know that much more about him having read it. I would still recommend people give it a go as it's easy enough to read but it didn't do much for me.

I just didn't find a lot of it interesting, scaring Gattuso, winding up Nesta, accusations against Deportivo La Coruna, it just didn't particularly do much for me, it's fairly well written but I don't feel I know that much more about him having read it. I would still recommend people give it a go as it's easy enough to read but it didn't do much for me.
Fair enough. I thought some of the Gattuso stuff was pretty funny. As you say, I think the best thing about the book is that it's fairly easy reading. You can sit back and chill with it for 20 minutes and get through a chapter pretty easily.

i was thinkg about reading that Zlatan one. is that any good ?

+
can we get Zlatans smiley ???

Sorry, I'm in a rush so can't read the entire thread so dunno if it's been mentioned already. 'Soccer in a Football World' is great, though. It's a history of the game in the US. Really detailed and contains surprising stuff like how it was challenging baseball to be the national sport prior to WWII. I'd get it if I were you! I mean I'm not you and I already have it... But... Ah fuck off, you know what I mean!

Back
Top Bottom