DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck a link. Walk in to any bar showing football matches in the states or go to any MLS game and talk to people and you'l realize we are nowhere near the most popular team in the states. Probably 5th, maybe 6th at this point, but much of that is in the last 5 years.

From 2002-2008 or so I met less Spurs fans in America than I have fingers. This has changed since TV coverage, Dempsey and the Champions League, but still.

FWIW, I never really get the hated vibe, most neutrals seem to like Spurs just fine. There are just so many fucking Mongs out here that support the sad lot next door.

I'd say fifth. Just moved away from a pretty "soccer"-crazed city, and I met loads of Spurs fans and often saw Spurs apparel in random places (even baseball games). Never saw any City apparel or met any fans on anyone other than one of my buddies. Even saw more Everton stuff than City stuff. Just don't think they've caught on that well throughout the US, and many seem to dislike how they're often described as the "Yankees of soccer."

Here in Finland Liverpool might be the most popular EPL side. Probably 'cause of strong representation of multiple Finnish players there (Litmanen, Hyypiä...). Then come the bandwagoners with their City, Chelsea, ManU and Gooners shirts (Woolwich still a bit smaller than ManU). Chelsea even has it's own Chelsea Sports Bar here in Helsinki. Really thought that there would not be that many Tot'nam fans here until I went to the Celtic game and saw plethora of shirts (going back to early 2000's). Would like us to get to a point where the shirt is recognized everywhere. Good design and good results will do that.

btw. My dad is a big West Ham fan going back to the 60's and we have plenty of fun watching the derby's. Always keeps reminding me how we bought all the West Ham's stars back in the days.

Here in Finland Liverpool might be the most popular EPL side. Probably 'cause of strong representation of multiple Finnish players there (Litmanen, Hyypiä...). Then come the bandwagoners with their City, Chelsea, ManU and Gooners shirts (Woolwich still a bit smaller than ManU). Chelsea even has it's own Chelsea Sports Bar here in Helsinki. Really thought that there would not be that many Tot'nam fans here until I went to the Celtic game and saw plethora of shirts (going back to early 2000's). Would like us to get to a point where the shirt is recognized everywhere. Good design and good results will do that.

btw. My dad is a big West Ham fan going back to the 60's and we have plenty of fun watching the derby's. Always keeps reminding me how we bought all the West Ham's stars back in the days.

Just out of curiosity, how does the popularity of the Bundesliga compare there to that of the Prem?

Just out of curiosity, how does the popularity of the Bundesliga compare there to that of the Prem?
Honestly, Bundesliga is only just gaining visibility (been a small minority thing in popular culture) but I'd say 98% due to Bayern. Plenty of fresh Bayern fans out there that like to see ze Germans showing how footy should be played. Many Finns go and play in Bundesliga or swedish Allsvenskan and from there try to gain a place in EPL. I think the most recent transfers that got publicity were when Teemu Pukki went from Schalke zeroquatro to Celtic and how Real Madrid acquired young CB Eero Markkanen from AIK (Sweden).

I might go as far to say that La Liga is very close to the same popularity as EPL is Finland but not that many kids follow other team than Real or Barca.

Finland = Bandwagon

The fact that Barca played here yesterday was a pretty huge deal. The news followed the team and the match was shown on national tv in HD with all the big Finnish names commenting the match (eg. Litmanen). The Olympic stadium was sold out.

The fact that Barca played here yesterday was a pretty huge deal. The news followed the team and the match was shown on national tv in HD with all the big Finnish names commenting the match (eg. Litmanen). The Olympic stadium was sold out.

Have to admit I find this all a bit surprising. Of course, I figured Barca and Madrid would be very popular everywhere, but figured the Bundesliga would be more popular there. It's growing everywhere, but I did figure Scandinavia would be close after some of the Eastern Block nations in following that league.

Have to admit I find this all a bit surprising. Of course, I figured Barca and Madrid would be very popular everywhere, but figured the Bundesliga would be more popular there. It's growing everywhere, but I did figure Scandinavia would be close after some of the Eastern Block nations in following that league.

Would make sense but it has been a real passion for only the most HC fans. Never hear any news from there. It's a bit the same here as I would imagine being in Canada; we are a HUGE hockey nation and that takes resources from other sports. Huge. I and my fellow footiepeople try to advocate a more developed football culture here and due to the World Cup and visits from Tottenham and Barca things might gain momentum. The National league (Veikkausliiga) is a bit sheit in quality, no denying that (our best team HJK just lost 6-0 to a preseason Barca) but I'll never get bored to rooting my hometown team http://www.rops.fi/ that like a elevator goes up and down the league and 1st division. To make things more interesting the team is located at the Arctic Circle. <3

Other football curiosity from Rovaniemi, Finland: FC Santa Claus AC. Honestly the only red team that I can support. And you should too!

Yeah see, I live where I do because I don't do ice. In fact, I'm studying hard to continue moving closer to the Equator.

This is about what I think of all that stuff:

I did figure Scandinavia would be close after some of the Eastern Block nations in following that league.
I spend a lot of time with the biggest football fans in Lithuania (who arent ultras), which includes a monthly football pub quiz with 200 players or so, and I've never met a fan of a German team that wasn't Bayern.

Everyone here is either +/- neutral, follows the PL, or is. Barça/Madrid/Juventus fan, with occasional randoms like Ajax, etc. But most even have triple-, quadruple-loyalties (including whatever local Lithuanian team).

I'd say this is generally bandwagon country, but I know like half a dozen QPR fans, too.

I spend a lot of time with the biggest football fans in Lithuania (who arent ultras), which includes a monthly football pub quiz with 200 players or so, and I've never met a fan of a German team that wasn't Bayern.

Everyone here is either +/- neutral, follows the PL, or is. Barça/Madrid/Juventus fan, with occasional randoms like Ajax, etc. But most even have triple-, quadruple-loyalties (including whatever local Lithuanian team).

I'd say this is generally bandwagon country, but I know like half a dozen QPR fans, too.

Interestingly enough, just met a Lithuanian female Werder Bremen fan not too long ago on an English Bundesliga board. She actually announced just today that apparently the first Lithuanian in quite some time was signed to a Bundesliga team (Hannover) today.

In Estonia, the BPL is by far the most popular foreign league. In addition to ManU, Liverpool, Woolwich, Chelsea and City, there are also a lot of Newcastle fans here for some reason. Other teams are not that popular though one of my friends is a Saints fan and another supports the Spammers.
It's hard to say if Bundesliga is more popular than La Liga because noone really supports any others than Barca, Real, Bayern and Dortmund.

Where are you getting this from? Actually a recent NBC poll indicated that Spurs were the most supported Prem team in the U.S., which is a fact I'm sure the club is acutely aware of. The poll results were:

Tottenham 22%
Woolwich 14%
Manchester United 10%

Even if you question the scientific accuracy of the poll, there is still no basis for saying Spurs are "disliked." Granted, there are more combined fans of clubs who are not Spurs, but there are arguably as many supporters of Spurs as there are of any other single club (especially when you eliminate the most casual fans who shrug and check the box for ManU but couldn't name more than a handful of teams).
:dempsey:
Eliminating the casual fan would completely change the results of any study, this is true. However, casual fans are fans so that's borderline retarded. That study might be one of the worst ever conducted.

However, casual fans are fans so that's borderline retarded.

Casual fans are fans, but they are less important fans, so it's not retarded. Someone who shrugs and says ManU is their favorite team is not on equal footing with someone who watches broadcasts and streams of every match (and probably some other teams' matches), buys kits, scarves, refrigerator magnets, and even the occasional plane and match ticket. Of the latter more important category, there is a healthy ratio of Spurs supporters. Fans are not fans.

Bringing this again back to to the original point, the idea that Americans are generally unhappy about Yedlin because Spurs are disliked in America is baseless.

Back
Top Bottom