Happy with our transfer strategy ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, are we all happy with our policy of no net spend every transfer window

• Total voters

John Thomas

Go-Kartz 🏎 Cinemas🎬 Property 🏠Hotels 🏤 Golf⛳
Now the dust has settled, a simple, anonymous (for those who prefer) poll to see what the general feeling is on here..

Since January we have sold Defoe,Huddlestone,Livermore, Fryers,Dawson, Falque, Sigurdsson and Sandro.That's at least £45million. We have bought Yedlin, Fazio,Vorm,Dier,Davies and Stambouli. That is about £35million. Therefore we are about £10million in credit, Add that to the TV revenue and the fact we really did not spend anything last summer. We needed better back up for Walker; got Yedlin but he won't be with us for a year. We needed a centreback;not our first choice but got Fazio. Needed a replacement for Friedel;got Vorm who nobody has seen since. We needed a replacement for the hapless Rose;got Davies who is not yet deemed good enough to replace Rose. We needed a left winger and striker,where are they? Levy really has got to go,along with ENIC.

I honestly don't understand why everyone's so negative. We strengthened our defence, which was one of our main problem areas last season. I thought most people were happy about Poch's appointment because he brings the best out of players, so how about we wait and see what he he brings out of the likes of Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli, Bentaleb, Davies, Dier, Soldado, Kane, Paulinho, Capoue, etc. and stop moaning about the fact we didn't splash a shitload of money on worldclass players like the teams above us. We've got so much potential quality already and I believe Poch can do very well with what we've got. Also, before everyone starts moaning about how shit our signings are and that were doomed for mid-table, why don't we just wait and see how they're doing when we've actually seen them play instead of just judging them straight away? Just give the man some time to do what he did with Southampton!

For those who aren't happy, who should we have bought? It's all very well citing issues but at least have some solutions.
One of Greizmann, Negredo, Muniain, Hernandez or Depay

All very much second 'tier' players and achievable within our financial structure. No one is calling for Messi and Ronaldo here

All very much second 'tier' players and achievable within our financial structure. No one is calling for Messi and Ronaldo here

Out of those I think Depay was the only realistic choice, even though most of them would have improved us. Hernandez wouldn't have suited our style and has now gone to sit on the bench at Madrid. Griezmann and Muniain are both playing Champions League and Negredo has been injured for pretty much the whole of pre-season...

I don't believe we didn't try for Depay tbh. It would've been nice to add some pace and another striker though.

My question wasn't necessarily digging anyone out, but it's easy to say the strategy is shit without really explaining why.

I don't believe we didn't try for Depay tbh. It would've been nice to add some pace and another striker though.

My question wasn't necessarily digging anyone out, but it's easy to say the strategy is shit without really explaining why.
Personally, I've outlined numerous times where I feel we're selling ourselves short - even Jol brought that up years ago during Comolli's days - we seem more concerned with buying players in view of making massive profit more so than immediate improvements.

Griezmann's release clause felt high.

Negredo might be dealing w/ homesickness issues. He wasn't exactly a force in the second half of last season; PL-tested, sure, but PL-wanting.

Personally, I've outlined numerous times where I feel we're selling ourselves short - even Jol brought that up years ago during Comolli's days - we seem more concerned with buying players in view of making massive profit more so than immediate improvements.
Like Soldado, who was our most expensive player at the time of his purchase and had a negligible sell-on value as soon as he pulled on our shirt?

Last edited:
Haha. Polls gotta love'um, word them how you see fit:
Yes. We are one of the best run clubs in the world and have re-invested 100% of income generated from player sales into improving the squad.
No. I think we should brake financial fair play and rack up huge debt by playing huge salaries and transfer fees on a single player whilst not addressing one of the most pours defences in the league.

Unfortunatley I am old enough to have experienced and genuinely believed this club was going bust once, it nearly broke me. I know you all love this club but to aspire to spunk money and get into debt do me a favour.
I am proud this club is well run. As for the signings, let's see them play before we cast the first stone. If they are shit and if we are weaker then we have some grounds for criticism, and I will be at the front of the queue demanding answers, but for fuck sake lets see what happens first.

People who backed Soldado, Capoue and Lamela to the fullest in order to slate Sherwood now think we have shit players.

People who slated the treatment of Holtby, who "should be starting every game for us", seemingly not giving a shit that Poch doesnt rate him either.

People who lauded Sandro, quickly abandoning him when they were "certain" Schniderlin was on his way.

People who think Welbeck is shit, crying because we didnt sign Welbeck.

People demanding a CM for the last two months only demanding a striker last night.

What a fucking embarrassing shambles.

While I answered the poll saying we should be more ambitious, I think that we had a good transfer window.

One of our biggest problems from last season was our leaky defence. I think that needed sorting before anything else. So we brought in Vorm (a PL experienced keeper in the mould of Lloris) and Davies (an upgrade on Rose imo) while shipping out a player from a congested area of midfield in Siggy. We brought in a big, tough, no nonsense CB in Fazio that will replace Dawson who was a similar style and will hopefully compliment Verts, Vlads or Dier's more swashbuckling nature. We also brought in a young RB with a lot of potential, although I would have preferred him to come this season rather than next because I don't trust Naughton as the only back up. And we have also brought in Stambouli to replace Sandro, very similar types of players.

It wasn't nice to Dawson, Holtby and especially Sandro go becuase they are all fan favourites. But we all knew Dawson's time was coming to an end and should cash out when we should. Holtby plays with his heart on his sleeve but doesn't really have a position. And Sandro hasn't been the same player since that injury at QPR. I think as a fan base we are guilty (I know I am) of wanting a player to play based on their personality rather than their use to the team.

I think we've been smart and astute in the window, filling our priority areas with players of good quality and trimming the squad of unneeded deadwood (regardless of fan status). Perhaps we needed another striker but I have a lot of confidence in Soldado and especially Kane to step up this season. Poch has a proven track record of improving players. We didn't need to go spending on lots of attacking players, we did that last season. If Poch can work his magic with those players, hopefully, in the old cliche, they can be like new signings.

I'm still confident about this season. We've been playing far more attractive football and I'm actually enjoying watching us the first time in a while. 7th and cup run and I'm happy. Build on this season for next year.

We're going to get relegated aren't we... :(

Back
Top Bottom