Happy with our transfer strategy ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, are we all happy with our policy of no net spend every transfer window

• Total voters
I love how everyone just assumes we would have been able to sign all these players. What if no one wanted to come, Depay may well have said, no Im not interested in a move to Spurs.

"OH FUCK YOU LEVY AND ENIC AND POCH FOR NOT TRYING TO MAKE OUR SQUAD BETTER YOU CUNTS, EVEN THOUGH I HAVENT GOT A CLUE WHAT ACTUALLY GOES ON BEHIND CLOSED DOORS, YOU ARE ALL WANKERS AND NEED TO DIE"

Get a grip morons.

I think defensively we have done very well, we have lloris, vorm, walker, Dier, yedlin, Kaboul, fazio, verts, chirches, rose, Davies, capoue, stamboli as our defensive players so not much more needed.

My issue is in the attacking third, ade is hit and miss, Kane is good but too young to take full responsibility and soldado has been awful thus far, combined with the ineffectiveness of Townsend and Lennon on the wing I felt we needed to get better winger (LW) and most importantly a striker. Think remy or bony and we should have gone all out for depay when we had the chance.

That being said our squad is good but IMO not top 4, if poch gets us 5th i will be happy.

Best things about football (in order of preference):
1) one of the home grown players becomes a real star with the help of good coaching
2) one of the reasonably priced transfers becomes a real star with the help of good coaching
3) buy an expensive star

1&2 are way more rewarding and I hope that's what we are going for in the next years. Of course it does not hurt to buy a big name now and then but I'm really not sure that has been the most successful dogma for Spurs in the near history.

Best things about football (in order of preference):
1) one of the home grown players becomes a real star with the help of good coaching
2) one of the reasonably priced transfers becomes a real star with the help of good coaching
3) buy an expensive star

1&2 are way more rewarding and I hope that's what we are going for in the next years. Of course it does not hurt to buy a big name now and then but I'm really not sure that has been the most successful dogma for Spurs in the near history.

Agree.

Instead of people thinking that Poch might actually have some faith in our players, people just assume that we had a host of world class players queing up with a contract and pen, and Levy said "NO".

As pointed out above, maybe Deepay didnt want to come...as highlighted by him signing a new FIVE YEAR DEAL at his current club.

Did we all miss the part where Southampton said that Schniderlin is NOT for sale....and kept him..? What should Levy do about that? Offer 45M for him?

Or how about us not wanting to pay 16-18M for Welbeck, and Welbeck refusing our loan offer and joining the gooners? Sensible from the club to miss out for that money IMO.

Stam was clearly the Sandro replacement. I guess Levys mistake was not selling Sandro first then signing Stam at 9pm last night, to make everyone spunk in their pants for the very same signing..

People moaned about the defence....we signed 5 at the back

Moaned about a DM...we signed one

They said Soldado will come good, 20+ goals this season....it was Sherwood who messed him up.

No one is talking about Soldado anymore....
enough-internet-Dean-Winchester-supernatural.gif

End of the day, we should have got another striker in. Ade is gone for about 5 weeks and if Kane pulls a hammy, we are relying on Soldado. Very disapointed. If Levy would just push the boat out for a Bony type player, it could make all the difference getting top 4 and winning things.

Look at Chelski. IMO going to win the league easily, they thrash Everton 6-3 BUT they still go for more by buying Remy.

End of the day, we should have got another striker in. Ade is gone for about 5 weeks and if Kane pulls a hammy, we are relying on Soldado. Very disapointed. If Levy would just push the boat out for a Bony type player, it could make all the difference getting top 4 and winning things.

Look at Chelski. IMO going to win the league easily, they thrash Everton 6-3 BUT they still go for more by buying Remy.

There is another window before Ade goes away.

Maybe (and sensibly) we want to see if Rodriguez will actually walk again this year before buying him.....

Remy or bony would have been ideal, we can sort of pony our way in other areas because of our squad strength but we are at best average up top and it is for that reason I think we will get 5-6th at the end of the season.

I don't think the answer is yes or no. On a whole, I think we do a good job. But the problem with Levy is everything seems to come with a caveat.

• He's done well on the business side but he's reduced supporters to a client reference number and through cheapness tried to move use to Stratford and legalized touting.
  • He's done well to improve the football side but his meddling and lack of patience have created a culture of uncertainty and constant turnover at the club that makes the football worse.
  • He's done well in the transfer market but he seems to lack a sense of when we need to stop cutting corners in spending and just really go for it to solidify ourselves in the top class of the league.
I think the reason the whole thing is so frustrating is that it always seems like we're so close to having a really great thing at the club but that Levy always fails to deliver in the final step that would drive us to glory we crave. Because of that, I don't think yes or no is the right answer to the question. In regards to the smaller scope of just this transfer window, I don't think we had a bad one but it is hard to deny in the world of £90m from just the TV contract that is was an exceedingly cautious window.

My only concern with this window was the lack of Striker.

We have addressed other issues and hopefully Poch can nurture some youth into contention for the 1st 11.

Up front though, we have Adey who is quality. Can score / hold it up. Issue with ACON though.

Soldado who is at this moment in time, utter shit. There is a lot of pressure on him to come good now.

Kane who is solid if not spectacular.

We also don't (that I know of) have a highly rated youth striker (Kane aside) to come into contention...

But meh, Woolwich dropped 16mil on Welbeck to solve their issues. So could be worse.

I think we will get 5-6th at the end of the season.

Thats about what Im expecting in Pochs first season with a team that still needs to gel, and adapt to their third set of coaching and management in 12 months...in fact, I think that would be admirable.

Are people expecting 3rd or 4th this season? Really?

No,not particularly happy.I think we needed a fox in the box type striker.Now maybe the powers rthat be think kane or Soldado can that.if so, then play them.Ade is looking more and more like a support striker(though by far the best goal scorer we have....When he turns up).Not excited by any of the incomings,because i don't really know much about them.pee'd off about Holtby(though not surprised) and Sandro.

My only concern with this window was the lack of Striker.

We have addressed other issues and hopefully Poch can nurture some youth into contention for the 1st 11.

Up front though, we have Adey who is quality. Can score / hold it up. Issue with ACON though.

Soldado who is at this moment in time, utter shit. There is a lot of pressure on him to come good now.

Kane who is solid if not spectacular.

We also don't (that I know of) have a highly rated youth striker (Kane aside) to come into contention...

But meh, Woolwich dropped 16mil on Welbeck to solve their issues. So could be worse.
I agree with your post ,except the welbeck bit.but am not so sure he will be as bad a deal for them as people think.i think they may have got a good buy there.We shall see

Somehow our luck with strikers has been consecutively bad for some time now. Clearly we should not buy whoever is available (ie. Welbeck) for just about any bloated sum. The scouts really need to dig in to this one and find a gem for the next 5 years.

Hopefully Bobby will excel, as he arguably can. Hopefully Kane's skills will improve 25% in the next 2 years and he'll be a striker one can depend. Ade will be gone in one or two years because of his age and I never trusted the guy to begin with - even though I had to try.

It seems that the club is in steady hands now and possesses plenty of potential. There might be coupe of real phenomenons in our current roster. Our club should not / can't buy it's way in to happiness with big money.

TL;DR
1. Our scouts in cooperation with 'Tino should really try to find a striker who'll bring the team to the next level in couple of next years.
2. Really try to squeeze everything out of our current roster.

91YlQ88.jpg

I agree with your post ,except the welbeck bit.but am not so sure he will be as bad a deal for them as people think.i think they may have got a good buy there.We shall see
Welbeck deal gives the impression that he was bought out of necessity, not out of a thoughtful process. There wasn't real movement of strikers this summer that even Woolwich could have tapped in to.

when it comes to transfers, when buying, there iso ne thing I believe in. Set a players worth, and never exceed what you judge that to be. Even if you miss out on who you want by half a mill.
otherwise you pay 35 million for andy carroll.
Im fairly sure that between them, Pochettino, Baldini, Broomfield and Levy will have worked out who they were targeting, what they considered to be top dollar for those targets and what alternatives for each one was. I think we got those targets with Dier and Davies, Vorm was an added bonus, with Stambouli and Fazio being alternatives.
the mustachio (or whatever his name is) was fucked by third party ownerships, and southampton wouldn't sell schneiderlin.
Why didn't we sign a striker? I think the people we could get were either not for sale (Bony) or wouldn't have joined us to due to a lack of chumpions league (Remy and Wellbeck).
we aint gonna get the top names cos we aint in the champions league. we are in the Europa league, the tournament designed to handicap the closest competitors for champions league places in the big 5 leagues.
to be blunt, we are playing catch up. and have been since the formation of the premier league, and since venables moved him self upstairs. under enic the gap has closed.
the grass aint always greener.

imcidently: If Levy hadn't gotten Broomfield back, who wants to bet that Dier would be a gooner right now?

Thats about what Im expecting in Pochs first season with a team that still needs to gel, and adapt to their third set of coaching and management in 12 months...in fact, I think that would be admirable.

Are people expecting 3rd or 4th this season? Really?

Some seem to be, but without a world class strike force I don't think we have a chance in hell even united now have falcao and we seem to be expecting to remain above them. I think we now have good defensive players but still have weaknesses up front plus as you say it's pochs first season so 5th and a good cup run would be a good achievement.

Back
Top Bottom