DeAndre Yedlin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Went to the game, blatant. Yedlin is so fun to watch get to full speed. It's going to take him a while but he really does have some nice technical ability. Combine that with his speed, I think there's a real nice player in there.

Craven Cottage is also awesome. Wish Fulham were still in the Prem.

The talent in that Columbia squad is fantastic. Cuad and Rodriguez are pure studs. Fantastic to watch. Obviously I wish the result was better but it was entertaining.

Interestingly enough, I really liked how the last 10 minutes looked with Lee Nguyen in the #10 role. The few touches he was able to get looked real nice.

Hey spurs, I'm part of the Emerald City Supporters and proudly support DeAndre and the Sounders. My girlfriend and I are going to be in London over the holidays and would love to meet up with any of you before the game on December 28th for a pint and to talk about your new player! We're still looking for match tickets, but hope to find some soon so we can know for sure we'll be at the match!

In the meantime, post any questions you have about DeAndre here and I'll do my best to answer. I've watched him since he was 18 in our academy and love what he brings to our team, sad to see him leave but excited for the opportunity for him!

seattlecalcio seattlecalcio thanks for the input. Do you think Yedlin's future is at fullback, midfield or elsewhere? We've all seen (at least a vine of) his ridiculous speed, but how is his delivery? Is he stout defensively or is that something he's going to need to develop? Finally, not sure how much Premier League football you watch, but do you have any feeling if we could expect Yedlin to be able to step in right away, or is he looking at a loan initially? Thanks again for your insight.
:adethumbup:

Do you think Yedlin's future is at fullback, midfield or elsewhere?

In my opinion his future is at fullback, as much because of his weaknesses as his strengths. As everyone had seen, DeAndre has world class speed but he often struggles in applying that in the attack. His touch is not great, and he doesn't have a good cut back inside when making full speed runs with the ball down the sideline. He rarely shoots, so i can't evaluate that well, but he has a handful of goals to his name. Putting him in a wide midfield position for 90 minutes at a time would not be the best use of his talents, but for short periods off the bench (like in USA vs Portugal) he can provide a great spark from that role. Over the course of this season, we have seen DeAndre improve in knowing how/when to use his speed in the attack from his RB position. Early in the season, I was often frustrated with his defensive positioning as he was overlapping constantly and we were more vulnerable to counter-attacks. His recovery speed is phenomenal in these situations, but often not enough once a break has started. As the season progressed (starting around the time of the world cup) I've noticed these overlapping runs have been more situational. I think part of this came from working with the USMNT and part from gaining familiarity and better role definition in his club play.

We've all seen (at least a vine of) his ridiculous speed, but how is his delivery?

I have not been impressed by his aerial delivery at any point in his career, it is inconsistent at best. His biggest threat is making cuts inside along the end line or the top of the 18 and playing crosses on the ground. He can be very dangerous in this way as he's able to beat most opposing LMs for pace and force a help defender to come across, opening up space in the middle for these balls.

Is he stout defensively or is that something he's going to need to develop?

If you asked me this a year ago, I'd have said he's poor. In that time, I think his defensive footwork have improved greatly, taking him from a defender with speed as his only asset to a capable defender with greater potential. Watch some highlights of him defending Eden Hazzard in the USA vs Belgium game to see what I mean. He is able to force him to stay wide and limits the cut backs to the inside. For a defender of his size, he also has a good aerial presence on long balls and on crosses. He has occasionally struggled keeping with his mark on set pieces, especially when on the far post and his mark moves to the middle of the goal or near post. Needs to improve at fighting through traffic in these situations.

Finally, not sure how much Premier League football you watch, but do you have any feeling if we could expect Yedlin to be able to step in right away, or is he looking at a loan initially? Thanks again for your insight.

I don't watch a lot of EPL, but do watch UCL frequently. I think he could step in to a role immediately. He has shown a great dedication to improvement in technique over the past 2 years as a starter here. He's a physical specimen and athletically he can compete anywhere in the world. I think that playing on a bigger stage is what he needs to continue that development, more time at a lower level (championship or other lower level europeqn league) may not be any more valuable than the experience he's gained here in seattle. At this point in his career, DeAndre needs to be challenged. We threw him in the fire at age 19, after signing him to a professional contact (he spent 1 year in college after our academy, we'll save the discussion of the American development system for a pub with pints) and he earned the starting job over a player we really liked. We had such confidence early in 2013 that we actually released the other player and DeAndre has been the full time starter since then. If you throw him into the fire of the EPL, I believe he'll make the most of that opportunity and you'll be pleasantly rewarded.

In my opinion his future is at fullback, as much because of his weaknesses as his strengths. As everyone had seen, DeAndre has world class speed but he often struggles in applying that in the attack. His touch is not great, and he doesn't have a good cut back inside when making full speed runs with the ball down the sideline. He rarely shoots, so i can't evaluate that well, but he has a handful of goals to his name. Putting him in a wide midfield position for 90 minutes at a time would not be the best use of his talents, but for short periods off the bench (like in USA vs Portugal) he can provide a great spark from that role. Over the course of this season, we have seen DeAndre improve in knowing how/when to use his speed in the attack from his RB position. Early in the season, I was often frustrated with his defensive positioning as he was overlapping constantly and we were more vulnerable to counter-attacks. His recovery speed is phenomenal in these situations, but often not enough once a break has started. As the season progressed (starting around the time of the world cup) I've noticed these overlapping runs have been more situational. I think part of this came from working with the USMNT and part from gaining familiarity and better role definition in his club play.

I have not been impressed by his aerial delivery at any point in his career, it is inconsistent at best. His biggest threat is making cuts inside along the end line or the top of the 18 and playing crosses on the ground. He can be very dangerous in this way as he's able to beat most opposing LMs for pace and force a help defender to come across, opening up space in the middle for these balls.

If you asked me this a year ago, I'd have said he's poor. In that time, I think his defensive footwork have improved greatly, taking him from a defender with speed as his only asset to a capable defender with greater potential. Watch some highlights of him defending Eden Hazzard in the USA vs Belgium game to see what I mean. He is able to force him to stay wide and limits the cut backs to the inside. For a defender of his size, he also has a good aerial presence on long balls and on crosses. He has occasionally struggled keeping with his mark on set pieces, especially when on the far post and his mark moves to the middle of the goal or near post. Needs to improve at fighting through traffic in these situations.

I don't watch a lot of EPL, but do watch UCL frequently. I think he could step in to a role immediately. He has shown a great dedication to improvement in technique over the past 2 years as a starter here. He's a physical specimen and athletically he can compete anywhere in the world. I think that playing on a bigger stage is what he needs to continue that development, more time at a lower level (championship or other lower level europeqn league) may not be any more valuable than the experience he's gained here in seattle. At this point in his career, DeAndre needs to be challenged. We threw him in the fire at age 19, after signing him to a professional contact (he spent 1 year in college after our academy, we'll save the discussion of the American development system for a pub with pints) and he earned the starting job over a player we really liked. We had such confidence early in 2013 that we actually released the other player and DeAndre has been the full time starter since then. If you throw him into the fire of the EPL, I believe he'll make the most of that opportunity and you'll be pleasantly rewarded.
That was a hell of a response. Thanks for that tremendous analysis. Can't wait for Yedlin to get to WHL. Thanks again.

Even though I was rooting against him over the weekend, I was stoked that he'll soon be coming to Spurs.

Can't wait to watch him get better and better for club and country

He has sky high potential in my opinion. The guy gives 1,000% every time I've watched him play and he's an inteligent player. As a supporter of a team that plays against him, it seems like he's everywhere at the same time. He can learn a lot playing in England under Poch and that's what gets me excited. Great attitude for such a young kid.

He has sky high potential in my opinion. The guy gives 1,000% every time I've watched him play and he's an inteligent player. As a supporter of a team that plays against him, it seems like he's everywhere at the same time. He can learn a lot playing in England under Poch and that's what gets me excited. Great attitude for such a young kid.
Thanks for that. I know he's quick, but other than that, I knew nothing about him. Cheers.

He had Hazard in his back pocket in that World Cup match against Belgium. Too bad we don't have him in the squad facing Chelsea!

What makes you think that?

because when he steps out onto the pitch for Tottenham it's gonna be unlike any football match he's ever played before and he'll have to get use to the pace and physicality of the league

and it's not necessarily the pace at which you run it's the pace the game flows at and being able to keep up mentally

because when he steps out onto the pitch for Tottenham it's gonna be unlike any football match he's ever played before and he'll have to get use to the pace and physicality of the league

and it's not necessarily the pace at which you run it's the pace the game flows at and being able to keep up mentally
He has been playing in a stadium with 31,155 more seats than ours, that is only 5,000 seats short of double WHL.

I know what you are saying mentally. I think he will be used in Cup matches for a while before the BPL mainly due to Walker being available but also to build his mental strength.

Back
Top Bottom